STAR TREK: KAPPA QUADRANT scenario

Can you tell me more about the Klingon city? I had that at first as well, but I fixed that. At least, it doesn't show up on my computer anymore (maybe I should send you the newest again?).

The events2.txt had a purpose in version 1.x, but it hasn't got a function anymore. You can delete it.

I had the same thing with music. But I thought it had something to do with my computer. John said he could hear them. Maybe it's not the right .wav-format (if it excists).

Yes, it's supposed so that you can't build every ship. I didn't like it and every race has it's own ships. It's strange that the Feds can build D'Deridexes and I shouldn't have done it in the first place.

I found out that it changes every time. I started it today and the Sovereign was OK, but yesterday it was doing weird again. Does anyone know how this can happen?

------------------
Concordia res parvae cres****.

Klingon City - there's no problem except for the error message before the game starts. All I can say is add the debug command at the top of the events file and read what it says when you run the scenario.

I mean with the version I have now (supposedly 2.1 but I could be wrong) I can build everything. I am building borg cubes in all my cities now.

As for the wierd thing, I experienced an invisible ship once when I changed the terrain (which had units) via the events file. I suggest just destroying it and putting a new one in a nearby square.

If you can build all kinds of ships, you haven't got the newest version installed, and I'm sure I sent it to you. But that doesn't matter, I'll send you the new one tomorrow (April 18).
About terrain changes by events. They don't seem to work when I try to use them.

------------------

Ok! I just sent you the rules.txt, events.txt and the kappa.scn. I don't think anything else has been changed since 2.0

------------------

I've played quite a number of turns now of 2.0+. I'm now at the stage where I have placed a city on eitherside of the wormhole and made friends with the Kra. All the previous problems I mentioned didn't turn up so I'll start from scratch again.

The overall look and feel is quite good and the Map is splendid. In fact, the map is the best part of Kappa and makes it completely unique. But I think there is way too much food everywhere and its hard to stop the cities from mushrooming into disorder very quickly.

My absolute favourite unit is the probe. You paradrop it out and then reel it back and see eveything inbetween. One suggestion would be to make to make it a 'plane' and change the movement allowance to be the same as the paradrop distance. But it works fine as it is now.

Messages, such as the paradrop in the Game.txt need to be updated. Labels, such as the 'airbase' terrain movement need to be updated too.

One more suggestion regarding the messages revealing where the other tribes are. Have you considered creating a probe (or invisible air unit that dies the next turn etc.) from each race at the location to be revealed via the events instead of using north/sout/east/west coordinates?

From what I've seen so far, I recommend anyone who has yet to try the scenario to give it a go.

More later.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited April 27, 2001).]

Thanks kob! I will change the probe thing, and the food as well. How about money? Do you make profit? Is it big. In the beginning I had a lot of trouble with that; the loss was about 1000 every time, so I increased the trade to (I think it was) 2. Ofcourse the labels will change as well as the game.txt.

The final update must be perfect, so every one who noticed even the smallest error/mistake, please tell me!

------------------

I received it. I will make a lot of changes. It is very helpfull, thanks!

------------------

Ok, there was a *silent update*. Or at least, I sent the new zip to Thunderfall. There are about 2 new things:

Some unit shield placings that were still wrong are fixed
I made 4 different city.gif's (just changed some colors) and added a batch program so the switching will go easily. The city.gifs are for the Borg, Federation, Romulan and Klingon. If I remember correctly the original one was designed by kobayashi.

Not sure what happened to the original CFC download @willemvanoranje that you setup with Thunderfall but it's long gone now as there's no traces of it in the downloads section or any links in this thread or your other STKappa dev thread and there's also no copy at Apolyton either. However I have managed to find copies of your scenario (ver 2.20) including your sound files (sadly no music files though) in an Atomic Network backup filled with hundreds of other Civ2 scenarios. I've combined the sounds files to the scenario files and re-packed them in 7zip and uploaded back on to CFC here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/star-trek-kappa-quadrant-scenario.28451/

I tested it out and it looks cool man!

Last edited:
Top Bottom