• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Star Wars Unit: TIE Bomber v2.0 (7/19/05)

Chris85

Emperor
Another unit down, I'm really satisfied with this one I feel it's the best unit I've made to date. :)

Credits for the model of this unit goes to the Star Wars: Modelling Alliance. Civilopedia text info from starwars.com.

Affiliation: The Galactic Empire
Manufacturer: Sienar Fleet Systems
Type: Bomber Starfighter
Length: 7.8 Meters
Crew: 1 Pilot
Weapons: Guided Missiles and Proton Bombs

Sienar Fleet Systems' development of the TIE Bomber took the robust TIE/gt starfighter variant as a starting point and ended up with a formidable light space bomber capable of delivering devastating attacks of pinpoint accuracy against ground and space-based targets.

The TIE Bomber has twin cylindrical hulls between its large solar panels. The starboard cylinder houses the pilot, while the portside ordnance pod contains the fighter's explosive cargo, which is delivered to its targets via a missile port and ventral bomb chute. The ordnance pod can carry a variety of payloads -- proton bombs, guided missiles, orbital mines, free-falling thermal detonators, for example. Advanced sensors developed by Nordoxicon's Micro Instruments divisions grant the TIE Bomber unerring accuracy.

Previous to the bomber's development, orbital bombardment was handled by the weapons of capital starships such as Imperial Star Destroyers. While no one would argue against the lethality of such methods, capital ship bombardments would often result collateral damage adjacent to the targets. For more refined attacks, such as when the Empire desired to take a target intact, the surgical precision of the TIE Bomber excelled.

The bomber's greatest drawback is its speed and sluggish handling. It is not a vessel meant for twisting, aerobatic dogfights. While its increased armor affords some protection from enemy fire, Alliance starfighter pilots consider so-called "dupes" easy pickings.

Download TIE Bomber 2.0

Attack Preview:
NOTE: FLC2GIFs limited palette reduces the quality somewhat.

Does it drop bombs as well, like is ESB?

It is a very clean unit. It looks nice.
A few suggestions for consideration on future units only.
The run animation is a static (still) image.
something like the default animation, but with some of that blueish (teal) starwars engine glow might looked nice.
Also on the attack animation. Since this is a flying unit, not a pillbox. Perhaps using the modified (as above) run animation as the basis for the attack rather then a still image would work better?

Good job modeling this unit. All in all, very well done. I particularly like the default animation with the hover effect.

Bjornlo said:
It is a very clean unit. It looks nice.
A few suggestions for consideration on future units only.
The run animation is a static (still) image.
something like the default animation, but with some of that blueish (teal) starwars engine glow might looked nice.
Also on the attack animation. Since this is a flying unit, not a pillbox. Perhaps using the modified (as above) run animation as the basis for the attack rather then a still image would work better?

Good job modeling this unit. All in all, very well done. I particularly like the default animation with the hover effect.

The TIE engines are red and don't generate much thrust and glow that's why I went with the static on the run. I'll consider going with those other suggestions for future units.

Top Bottom