STEAM SALE started Nov 23

The 2 biggest changes (IMHO) are the hex grid and 1 Unit per Tile (aka 1UPT). Makes combat a very different (and more tactical) prospect and I don't think I could go back to stacks of doom after playing Civ5.

(Another big change is that you can no longer trade techs (or capture them if you recall the older iterations). They have something called research agreements which allow you speed up your research on a deal-by-deal basis, but no more "once one computer opponent gets it, all have it" nonsense.)

The downside combat-wise is that the computer players handles war poorly because the AI isn't quite up to it.

I think the upsides to the changes in combat outweigh the downsides. I recommend it as a worthy upgrade to Civ4.

EDIT: Especially at 66% or 75% off.

The 2 biggest changes (IMHO) are the hex grid and 1 Unit per Tile (aka 1UPT). Makes combat a very different (and more tactical) prospect and I don't think I could go back to stacks of doom after playing Civ5.

(Another big change is that you can no longer trade techs (or capture them if you recall the older iterations). They have something called research agreements which allow you speed up your research on a deal-by-deal basis, but no more "once one computer opponent gets it, all have it" nonsense.)

The downside combat-wise is that the computer players handles war poorly because the AI isn't quite up to it.

I think the upsides to the changes in combat outweigh the downsides. I recommend it as a worthy upgrade to Civ4.

EDIT: Especially at 66% or 75% off.
What really? I did some research on this game but didn't know about the research agreements. I absolutely HATED how the AI's would just freely pass techs around once they got it in Civ4. I am so happy to hear that.

Yah i've lurked a bit around here and have seen many AI hate threads, I hope they eventually get fixed or someone makes a mod like the Better AI one in Civ4.

Thanks for the reply. I just bought it 5 minutes ago :D
Waiting for it to download

hey I bought the GOTY edition and found out that they left the Korea DLC out... will I miss anything in multiplayer or in future games?

Korea is a strong science civ and fun to play around with in no-RA games. Buy it in the pack along with the Ancient Wonders DLC for like 2.50.

With 12 hours left on the sale I purchased CIV V GOTY Edition, Korea DLC, and Ancient Wonder DLC for $23.07. I guess waiting for a sale was worth it.

hey I bought the GOTY edition and found out that they left the Korea DLC out... will I miss anything in multiplayer or in future games?
In multiplayer it works like this:
The DLC that everybody has will be able to be used. So if you're playing a multiplayer game and you don't have Korea, then nobody will be able to play them.
Or if anybody else doesn't have a certain DLC then that DLC will be excluded (either civs or wonders)

But personally, if I were you, I'd go and get the WOTAW+Korea-bundle. You then have a complete up to date set :) (well up to date until the next DLC).

In multiplayer it works like this:
The DLC that everybody has will be able to be used. So if you're playing a multiplayer game and you don't have Korea, then nobody will be able to play them.
Or if anybody else doesn't have a certain DLC then that DLC will be excluded (either civs or wonders)

But personally, if I were you, I'd go and get the WOTAW+Korea-bundle. You then have a complete up to date set :) (well up to date until the next DLC).

thanks, I got the dlc

I bit the bullet last night and I regretted it almost immediately. Seriously. . . Steam is f'ing f'ed up! :mad::mad::mad:

Just had to fire that off. . . at least now that I managed to get it to download the game appears to work fine. I am very glad I payed only 20 for that experience!

I bit the bullet last night and I regretted it almost immediately. Seriously. . . Steam is f'ing f'ed up! :mad::mad::mad:

Just had to fire that off. . . at least now that I managed to get it to download the game appears to work fine. I am very glad I payed only 20 for that experience!

what was the problem?

what was the problem?
If I'd guess, I'd say he couldn't get the game installed at first because the Steam servers were having a hard time.
(It gives an error 'servers are overloaded, try again later')

The servers are having a hard time in these sales :crazyeye:

But that's only my guess, I'm also curious what the problem was.

I am very disappointed that the Explorer's Map Pack has exactly ONE map that can be used in multiplayer - "Amazon". It's a hell of mountains and jungles.

They really need to stop with the multiplayer game being a stunted amputee compared to the single-player. You can't play scenarios, most of the maps, hell, you can't even add extra AI opponents!

what was the problem?

First let me start with my network set up. It is not optimal due to cash restraints(super cheap router being a primary culprit). During the holidays, when every one is home and using it at once, if people in the household don't throttle their own traffic it can cause the router to crash.

Now on to the problem. Apparently Steam fixed whatever it was giving me 20-50 kb speeds earlier. Problem being now it was flying above 250 and 300kb and on occasion even higher(our internet down is only about 300-350 tops these days, had to downgrade recently). Just about shutting everyone else out of the network and would cause a network crash after not to long almost guaranteed. So I look to throttle the speed. After all even the very most basic of half baked download software have download throttles for speed. . . except apparently Steam.

Well it is only a few hours. I inform the others what is happening so we all knew to reboot the router if a crash happened and that it wasn't our ISP crashing again. First router crash happened at 30'ish percent down. Reboot Router. Steam won't resume. Reboot Steam. Steam Resumes . . . at 0 percent and starts re-download the whole thing over again. Steam gets to about 20 percent. Router goes down. Reboot Router. Steam won't resume. Reboot Steam. Steam Resumes . . . Steam recognizes at 30'ish percent(what it was at the first crash), Steam starts from there(basically having wasted that other 20 percent). This goes on for a whole f'ing night where I am sick, throwing up, headaches about, etc. The whole issue could easily have been resolved if Steam incorporated even the most basic features of any download program. . . the throttle. Note: I also tried lying to Steam about our connection(no, we really have dial-up). No dice. Steam apparently just pumps at you til their servers or your down cap out.

Which is where I come to this: What do you mean you can't throttle yourself? Here let me help, I'll gladly throttle you! :mad:

Long story short that post of mine was me letting off steam because Steam doesn't incorporate even the most basic of features to let you control how it uses your network traffic which caused me problems when I was already to the point where I was wishing someone would put me out of my misery. Steam just made it worse. That said Steam makes me think way too much of game companies these days. I.E. they release a product with a good idea but only half-bake it and somehow forgot to include even basic features that should be a staple in that area and glitches(seriously how hard is it to program a download feature to resume properly?! and no don't answer that). Because seriously what kind of screwed up downloading agent doesn't allow you to monitor(which Steam does at least in a basic way) and throttle(which Steam doesn't) its network activity if needed?! Even the most basic of Torrenting applications have allowed this pretty much since their inception(if not at inception, I wasn't using them that far back)!

I never had problem downloading (downloads are always over 1.6 mb/s) or playing game with Steam, I use the NY server and I live in south america :lol:

yea, there is no way to throttle the dloads within the steam client, you need a 3rd party program for that, that would be a nice addition
but all the other problems sounds like your internet/home network .. hardly steams fault! ... usually, after a dload is stoped, it will appear that it is starting from the start, but that is just steam checking the data before it resumes from where it left off

torrent programs have always allowed you to throttle because they are designed (and only work if) for people to constantly dload over days/weeks/forever. Steam is designed for a user to buy a game then dload it as fast as possable and get playing, probally not fair to compare

I use NetLimiter, it can throttle downloads pretty good, even in the free version

Awww...I missed it. :( I really should have bought the GotY Edition for my brother. Maybe it will go on sale again?

Top Bottom