1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SteamDB: "Bison" Depot??

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Scirocco16V, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

2. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

Well, that sucks. Time for the community to step up and fix the stuff Firaxis refused to.
    Though that does imply the dev team's working on something else...perhaps they're already getting onto Civ VI? Or a Civ V spin-off?

3. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Is multiplayer mods fixable without Firaxis intervention?

4. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

Nope :( Unless I have a massively wrong understanding, in which case someone please correct me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

As @Aaron said, sadly, no; what we CAN fix is pretty much everything else, though.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

High expectations yield disappointment. The scenario is pretty decent and is fodder for modders to add the pantheons and Tipi UI to the game. I expected worse and thus I am satisfied.

7. Iklabain

Iklabain Warlord

^That's one way to look at it.

8. Iklabain

Iklabain Warlord

Steam still wont connect to the internet even though I am. :(

9. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Eh, I don't care about the rest. I've had enough single-player Civ V for one lifetime.

10. anandus

anandus Errorist

Although you're right, as long as they don't enable modding for multiplayer, people that play multiplayer-only, like me, will miss out.

11. Sporally

Sporally Prince

Yeah, seems like an easy task to me to add mods in multiplayer.

Sendt fra min GT-I9305 med Tapatalk

12. Jaii der Herr

Jaii der Herr Chieftain

13. AmericanDestiny

AmericanDestiny Chieftain

14. Sporally

Sporally Prince

Great! This gives me hope for a patch that implements the resources and tipis into the game.

Sendt fra min GT-I9305 med Tapatalk

15. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

From the wording I wouldn't expect the blog to be more than simply adding detail to the existing announcements about the scenario (which I believe has yet to be released in parts of the world), rather than anything about a patch, but nothing in that thread suggests a patch won't be coming at some point - it just seems not to be imminent.

Given that this scenario seems to have been ready for a while (would it have been placed in a depot if it wasn't already complete?), and none of the other content in Civ V Complete is new, it's not very clear why Firaxis would have sat on it for so long if they weren't finalising an attendant patch, however.

I wouldn't hope for tipis for the main game, though - their yield is much too high for a main game improvement, and it's not very clear how they'd be included. They won't replace either of the Shoshone uniques since, whenever they've done that in the past (with France and Germany), they've found a way to reuse the 'lost' unit, and neither Comanche Riders nor the Pathfinder make any sense as a non-UU.

16. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

I strongly suspect that this scenario was meant to be included with the base BNW expansion, which would explain why it was seen in that BNW preview video. However, I would assume they decided to postpone its release to coincide with the release of the Civ V Complete Edition to help "drum up" sales for the game package.

Yeah, we're not going to see Tipis in the base game, just like we didn't see any of the other scenario-specific buildings/units (Sweden's Stave Church in the ITR scenario, or the two Ironclads from the SFA) added. However, I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see Cocoa and Bison added in if we do end up getting a patch; I can't imagine Firaxis going to the effort of developing new resources solely for the scenario.

17. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

We also never saw Motte and Bailey thing either added into the main game and THAT has been in since Denmark war released.

18. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Well, at least since they weren't in the original version of the scenario. If they can add code for units and static graphics that won't be reused, there's no reason they wouldn't do so for a resource (indeed the two Conquest Natural Wonders were originally unique to the scenario). But if Conquest originally worked well enough without going to the effort of adding bison and cocoa, it's not very clear why they'd add them now - do they add anything to the way the scenario plays with the new mechanics?

It's a shame there aren't ways to reuse more of the scenario graphical assets in the main game - the tipi graphic is great, and I love the motte and bailey and huscarls from the 1066 scenario.

It was, indeed, the game's first unique improvement. I always hoped they'd add 'era' graphics to the GP improvements in the same vein as normal improvements, in which case the Motte & Bailey could have been the medieval Citadel graphic.

I can see this - on the other hand, had they released it earlier I could see them garnering extra BNW sales with it since it resolves the "Inca issue" (Inca are now a BNW civ, so you don't need to buy a double-price civ pack for them alone) as well as adding three other existing civs to BNW. With the Complete Edition this is irrelevant since you get all those civs anyway.

Since the Complete Edition by its nature will sell to people who don't already have the game, it's not clear that they'll garner extra sales by releasing an updated version of a pre-existing scenario - that seems tailored much more towards existing players.

I'm still sad we won't see updates to the other old scenarios - over its lifetime, Civ V has developed to do much more involved things with its scenarios than it did originally, and it seems as though the Conquest overhaul brings it in line with the BNW scenarios in this regard. 1066 and all that are good scenarios (well, 1066 is), but are much more limited in the way they differ from the core game of the time.

19. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Bison is marked as a bonus resource.

Cocoa is marked as a luxury resource meaning it adds to the Trade Routes bonuses (resource diversity).

20. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Yes, I did think of the trade route diversity possibility - however isn't all trade sea trade in Conquest Deluxe (i.e. no caravans)? That means adding a resource that can spawn anywhere but has a rather situational effect (and that small) on gameplay.

A bonus resource is basically just a tile, it's not a resource in any meaningful sense (a real shame - early preview shots did show bonus resources counting towards resource diversity, but for some reason this was cut from BNW by release), so unless there's some reason the scenario needs plains to be higher-yield that too makes little sense as a scenario-only addition.