1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Steampunk World Scenario

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Steampunk Scenario' started by KingArthur, Jun 24, 2012.

1. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

2. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

No apology necessary, jlvfr. All the little paragraphs i've written over the time of this whole project are helping to develop some background. Even worked out a steam-powered spacecraft. We're also starting to develop what may become a unified background (world history & timeline) for several of the scenarios. When the finished scenario is released the 'pedia may contain these sort of scientifictions.

more fragments of ancient correspondence -
    Spoiler :
    ...---... ...---... ...---... ...---...

...---... ...---... ...---... ...---...

Thanks for that link. There are some great images there. Always on the lookout for steampunk that is from a wider world than Victorian Europe. The metal kraken was especially intriguing.

3. Blue Monkey

KA - that site requests too many cookies for my taste. An excerpt from the same program is on youtube. Outstanding invention!

EDIT: Now that there's a searchable name - "vortex cannon" - seems like there's a lot of interest & actual builds. Plenty of stuff on the net. Even the military has shown some interest. The BBC site has a set of lesson plans including a construction guide.

4. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Soooo... any news on a possible new version of the scenario?

5. Blue Monkey

We are working on it. As is customary, real life gets busy just when there is a lot to be done. In my case, for example, I've been out of town on business 3 times in the last month.

If there were a sort of thermometer thingy to count posts in the private subforum plus the time spent at our computers doing the work and a barometer thingy to show when we are using the creative juices with or without a computer you'd be surprised how much activity is going on.

Have you tried playing as one of the less likely factions? Playing as the smaller civs often reveals things about a scenario that are otherwise easy to overlook.

6. jlvfr

jlvfr King

No worries, thougth you might have been abducted to Mards by some weird forcve ;)

And I think I've tried them all now, but the minor ones are too troubled by the swamp/jungle terrain to be able to do anything...

7. Blue Monkey

I'm working on a Mars map - but long distance. :p

Know what you mean about the minor civs. Played a lot as the "evil geniuses". Can keep the Euros off my back but the Chinese roll over us sooner or later. But it just warms my heart every time R'lyeh is building a Music Hall ... gotta take a screenshot of that one.

8. KingArthur

I have been working on improving the Moriarty faction - a Giant Mechanical Spider for instance.

I've been putting off the less fun parts like the Civilopedia. Must crack on. Thanks for caring jlvfr :thumbsup:

9. Blue Monkey

Maybe there's a place for a Jiang Shi in China's unit line? The Tsui Hark film mentioned over there is set in the 19th c.

10. Erebras

Erebras Prince

I cannot tell. The last posting on this particular thread was three months ago. I just downloaded and installed the beta version of Steampunk Worlds and Steampunk Earth, which I presume are the most recent incarnations of this project. Without playing it, but just loading it up and seeing it, I can say it looks great.
    What's not so great are the Civilopedia entries and associated icon images. It seems most modmakers leave the actual game instructions and descriptions for last, if they bother to do it at all. What I am getting at is would you like me to proofread what has already been done, and finish the remainder? I have more to say, but I'll wait until I get a response from one of the project leaders.

11. Blue Monkey

I know the offer of help is appreciated. As is the bump/reminder. It will be up to King Arthur whether or not to use it. If not, we may hit you up for pedia help on one of the other scenarios.

12. Erebras

Erebras Prince

Forgive me if I merely failed to notice any discussion on the Tribes used in this scenario. Two of the civilizations consist of Native Americans (Great Sioux Nation [leaderhead] or Iroquois Confederacy [description]?) and Mesoamericans (not readily identifiable which group). If these scenarios are based on the 19th century, why are these two groups represented as full, non-declining or non-assimilated peoples? "In 1817, the Cherokee became the first Native Americans recognized as U.S. citizens...In 1857, Chief Justice Roger B. Taney expressed the opinion of the court that since Native Americans were "free and independent people" that they could become U.S. citizens...In 1871 Congress added a rider to the Indian Appropriations Act ending United States recognition of additional Native American tribes or independent nations, and prohibiting additional treaties." These excerpts come from a simple wikipedia search; I'm sure something similar concerning Central and South American tribes can be found. Is the position of the modmakers that the more interesting scenarios would be set on some sort of alternate Earth where Spain, Portugal, and Britain failed to gain significant footholds in the Americas?

13. Erebras

Erebras Prince

Certainly, I understand that there are only eight or so civs from which to choose, so I'm not commenting on why the Republic of Liberia or New South Wales are unrepresented. I mean, where is Mexico or New Spain, and where is the United States? I'm not coming at this from the stance of an uneducated hic from Appalachia. I'm trying to establish how Aztlán and Wyoming got the drop on greedy, metalworking, gunsmithing, post-Plague Europeans.

14. Erebras

Erebras Prince

Now I'm on a roll...and it's not offtopic. Sci-fi aspects aside, one thing I discovered in my research (for my own mods), which I never realized before, was that "Industrial whaling emerged with organized fleets in the 17th century; competitive national whaling industries in the 18th and 19th centuries; and the introduction of factory ships along with the concept of whale harvesting in the first half of the 20th century." Yeah, Wikipedia strikes again, but since you're setting the scenarios in such a narrow stretch of the historical (and ahistorical) timeline, perhaps you would consider a small wonder or city improvement reflecting this newly-emerging technology (whaling). Doesn't compare with gravity-blocking chemical elements, I know, but...

15. Erebras

Erebras Prince

It appears a common character in the steampunk artwork I've been looking at is some sort of gigantic, bronzeish automaton that fits the genre nicely. Without having to completely design such a thing, aaglo years ago made a rather nice hammer-wielding giant. The giant's run animation looks unnatural (for a giant) and there's some sort of plate on its back; I chalk it up to an early attempt at unit creation (especially considering aaglo's later work). The point is that if one were to import a different color palette and maybe slow down or otherwise alter the speed of the flcs, it should turn out to be an excellent steampunk robot.

16. Blue Monkey

Erebras - have you looked through any of the more general threads or only this one? There have been extensive discussions prior to this scenario being posted. And it's only one of several in various stages of development. Each one takes a slightly different approach.

17. Erebras

Erebras Prince

I can appreciate that, Blue Monkey. I'm waiting for King Arthur to get back to me about the editing, and I was just being conversational while I waited. I'm more curious about the whole matter more than anything else. I figured someone in the know would sum it up in a nutshell for me.

18. KingArthur

I'll take you up on your offer for Civilopedia work - it's a vital step to finishing this project off. Since the beta upload I have not done any work on the Steampunk World scenario. I lost interest in it but it's been nagging me lately and I want to finish it off. One thing I want to ditch is the map and concentrate only on the random map biq. The civ list changes quite a bit and I will post more details tonight. For now all you need to know is that there are 3 categories of civs: minor local powers that don't progress beyond rifle and cavalry but have high growth; major powers that have access to all aspects of the tech tree and 1 city civs for oddballs (non-playable) that will have some exaggerated characteristic e.g. a very powerful unit or heaps of treasure...

19. Erebras

Erebras Prince

So, KingArthur, with me revising and completing the Civilopedia, I have a few questions:

1. Do you have a list of the tech advances and units that delineate what their strengths, requirements or effects are? For example, a unit may have terraforming abilities, or an improvement requires a form of government, or a wonder may require several of an improvement. Otherwise, I can just go down the line in CivEdit and see what each thing does.
    2. Are you okay with me cutting and pasting descriptions from wikipedia? It's the go-to place for open source content. Also, I learned from The Rood and the Dragon that quotes can also be useful in an entry, so if you have famous lines you'd like to include, let me know.
    3. I intend to just upload the latest revision of the text file on this thread here, and just keep reuploading it with the updated version until it's done. I don't see the need to PM you with it, unless that's what you'd prefer.
    4. Do you want me to describe the different categories of civs -- minor powers, major powers, single city -- in the Civilopedia, or is that supposed to be a surprise for the players to find out?

:think:Hmm, I guess that's all the questions I have at the moment.

20. KingArthur

1. I have a spreadsheet that gives a lot of info and I've shared it online here
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=3a56e2b0320cb68d.
    You may have to dig into the biq for some stuff.

2. Copy/Paste from Wikipedia is totally fine.

3. Sounds like a plan.

4. Yes I think that would be good.

If I were you I'd concentrate on TECHS, BLDGS and WONDERS first as these will not change. CIVS and UNITS are likely to change so leave them for later when I will get an updated biq to you.

Only other thing to say is thanks again. :goodjob: