1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Steampunk World Scenario

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Steampunk Scenario' started by KingArthur, Jun 24, 2012.

1. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Just as a note; when I try to load a game it doesn't automatically bring up the name, so I have to search for it every time. This is caused by using months.

So it usually looks like:
    Anqas Kusillu of the Mesoamericans, Apr., 1832 AD.SAV

The period behind the month causes the problem, since the game is looking for the SAV extension after it, and it doesn't find it. You can remove the periods behind the months in the labels.txt which will solve that issue if you choose to. :)

Still early in the game mesoamericans, and yea i ran into being able to build gas lighting from beginning, cost only 1 shield also, which probably isn't right amount (Earth map). Very fun! I'll keep ya updated.

2. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Makes perfect sense. Anyone who really wants to play on a random world can use the editor to import the rules to a new biq.

Been playing as the Evil M.S. again. Just when you thought ... learned how to avoid the stacks of barbarians til I could get at least one new city established & a small force of riflemen going. Of course that's the game when I had my first encounter with a sabre-toothed tiger. :lol:

I can see some of everyone's (mis)adventures written up as articles in a period newspaper. Would be a great graphic to announce the general release of 1.0 .

3. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

Welcome tom - I'll look into the labels.txt - thanks for that.

Blue- period newspaper - another great idea!

Yes anyone can import the rules into a new biq - my plan is to eventually add some unique civs to the random biq including the weird ones you dreamt up :)

4. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Quick update.

Couldn't play yesterday and most of today (damn work...). Still developing my CAs to prepare for an assault on the NA. Meanwhile, the Anglos and Otomans are at each other's throats, with Moriarty and China (I'm sure) setting up to support either side. I just hope they don't attack me!

Am also having fun IDing units. We got both Nautilus (classical and League versions), Battlefleet Gothic-based Armoured Cruisers, Steam Tanks from WFB-Empire as Moriarty's Juggernaughst...

5. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Something I just noticed: it would be nice to know, in advance, which units can (or not) be transported by which transports. I've found that the dirigibles can't carry anything bigger than an mechanical suite. Makes sense, but I thought the Propeller Island , which is a naval unit, would be able to carry heavy units. I'm using frigates and cruisers to ferry troops from Europe to the Americas...

6. KingArthur

What you've said is logical. :scan:

I think I set propeller islands as single purpose "aircraft carriers" - same as the standard civ3 carrier. If the AI can cope with a dual role I'll set them up to carry all land units - saying that I don't think the AI uses carriers much anyway - have you seen any? Perhaps the dual role will encourage their use even if its just to transport troops.

7. jlvfr

jlvfr King

oOooO! Cool! I was actually worried about the shortage of fleet air defence :goodjob:

As for transporting, I think a dedicated carrier doesn't make a good troop transport.

*sniped part on transports*

Never mind that, I just discovered Ocean Liners :(

And I've just spoted a brit propeller island.

8. Blue Monkey

Keep an eye out for any problems with graphics palettes' indexing. LHs, cities, resources, etc. We're setting up a work list for me to do that. Most of it is quick to fix, but I won't spot everything on my own.

9. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Saw nothing wrong so far...

My game has turned historical: the NAs got crushed in Wounded Knee, and there's a 4-way war in the Crimea...

Btw, getting involved in a big war showed a big problem: air cover. Now that everyone has only rotorcraft (the first one, that can only bomb), no one can intercept any bombers! I had 12 (ouch) NA rotors bomb my troops with inpunity, despite they being next to my city. I had to rush every air frigate I hadn't upgraded (all 5...) to the Americas...

This was made worse by the lack of any mobile air defence units. Troops in the open get splatered at will.

So I think we need 2 units: an air interceptor to counter these rotors, and a mobile AA gun.

10. Blue Monkey

Some of these things may change needed style of game play but actually make sense. Robur the Conqueror, for example, had the Albatross. An airship capable of devastating bombing but no opposing aircraft. OTOH there are some very unusual early aircraft units available that we discussed a while back. Wyrmshadow has several to choose from. Maybe there's something there.

11. jlvfr

jlvfr King

But Robur (and similar) were unique. Here we have nations with "air forces", and knowing the enemy has air forces as well. No one would allow itself to be that defenceless...

12. KingArthur

Last biq update gave all combat air units the bomb and intercept flags.

Also building Cloudbusters give your city air defence

Robur's airship is The Albatross unit that Moriarty possesses at the start of the game- it will reign supreme until the 2nd era.

13. Blue Monkey

In my experience both the Albatross & the Nautilus, while quite strong, are still susceptible to defeat. In the current game I had the Nautilus sometimes bombarding (usually partial damage) & sometimes ramming (usually sinking opponent). At full strength rammed a clipper (?) in era two & promptly sank in defeat.

14. KingArthur

They probably merit a couple more hit points to make them more robust.

15. jlvfr

jlvfr King

OMG! What a noob I am /bang head on wall

Completely missed that :(

And I know about the cloudbusters. So now the only problem are troops in the open...

Any chance of getting, say, a WWI AAA gun? Like this:
    UK AAA

16. Blue Monkey

In the version of the biq I'm playing I don't see a parachute button for the commandos.

17. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Back to the game. Am carving a bloody path into North America. The NA, despite puting up a good fight, are being "benevolently allowed to join my aliance" :D at a steady pace. Decided to wipe out 2 of their cities; they were practically stacked one on the other, robbing resources from each other and another 3...

Meanwhile, the brits came out on the loosing side of a land war against China (smart idea, that...). Queen Victoria only has left the UK and the colonies in North America. Guess who'll be my next target ;)

No errors or problems to report so far. Just 2 points:
    -upgrading from Tesla Perambulator to Mechanical Battlesuits costs 0. Is this correct?
    -I'm being able to airlift units from Europe to the Americas, courtesy of an airdrome in New Orleans (only one I have in America so far); but, somehow, I feel this shouldn't be allowed in this scenario. Just doesn't feel right...

18. KingArthur

I'll see if I can find a suitably steampunk looking unit.

I'll look into that Blue - maybe a missing flag - you've definitely built an aerodrome?

I'll review the costs - I would normally make a upgrade unit cost something.

19. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Possible bug:

I built the "Call of Cthulhu" in Paris, but didn't get any advances...

20. Blue Monkey

I suspected that as well. Had a commando in a city with an aerodrome. No button. It's been a few days, so it's possible it was with an older biq.

I'm well into the last era & still no ability to make military alliances. Don't know why.

Playing as the Mal., China started a war. They overwhelm with waves of units that contain only a few advanced units. Can't produce or move superior units fast enough to keep them from devastating territory & taking cities. Finally beat them back but not being able to build railroads really cripples a small technological advanced civ when attacked by a much larger opponent. And when they break the peace treaty after only two turns the lack of alliances plus the crippled industrial base really hurts. An army unit (advanced mech suit?) would help as well.