1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Steampunk World Scenario

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Steampunk Scenario' started by KingArthur, Jun 24, 2012.

1. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Same here.

2. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

BUG: Enable Military Alliances isn't flagged. It should be Armaments Industry (Era 2).

3. KingArthur

It gives you a Mind Flayer 32.60.2 every 5 turns. It doesn't grant any advances.

4. KingArthur

I just tested it and it's working :confused:
    I'll beef up Mal. a bit.

5. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Ah, then ya gotta change the description :goodjob:

6. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Ok, then I'm missing something. Maybe I didn't have the commando in the city with the aerodrome.

7. KingArthur

Working on the civilopedia just now. :cool:

8. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Error on the Death Ray: it's Imobile dspite having 2 points of movment. I altered the unit, but I won't get this unless I start a new game... and it's too late for that...

And I only found this after upgrading 16 Fortress Guns at 240 each!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

9. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Game over! Spaceship victory, yay! I hadn't seen the Spaceship animation in years!!! I was tied in population and geography with the chinese, but they still had room to expand, from conquered cities, so they'd come up on top here. And a full scale war would keep me going for a few more weeks... :sad: (end time: a little over 15 hours gametime)

Started a war with the Anglos, to grab the UK and the parts of North America they owned. Right on turn 2, big scare: Brits dropped a germ bomb on Copenhagen, chopping it down from 21 to 14. I actually thought this was game over, since the computer has a tendency to start spreading these around. Managed to kill the Brits fast, with help from the Otomans and Chinese (yeah, the queen pissed a lot of people off...)

Meanwhile... massive Mesoamerican assault up Central America! Alarm! Air-transfer of 4 Mind Flayers and a dozen other units saved Mexico City, but it was close. After the minimum of rounds, I convinced the MA to sign a peace treaty, so I could finish the brits in North America...

A few points:
    -Mind Flayer is a very very powerfull unit. Combined with the ability to fly it from airports and airdrops, it becomes really overpowered. Maybe drop either ability?
    -Is it just me, or we need more factions? With so few, the game quickly becomes a matter of superpowers vs superpowers. This is actually a problem with many Civ scenarios... which is why I prefer Huge-Random maps with lots of civs...

Just one question: the cruisers and dreadnoughts are clearly Battlefleet Gothic ships. Does this there's a BFG scenario out there?!

10. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Bug(ish): there's no description on "Curse of Tutankhamun". No idea what it does...

11. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Another problem I spoted: the Mesoamericans (and maybe the Africans, didn't check yet) have severe expansion problems, due to the inability to clear jungle. The workers should get this ability with some tech; I'd sugest Steam Engine.

12. KingArthur

Congrats on your win. The Steampunk Random Worlds biq will eventually provide you with the scale of game of that you're after. I'm still mulling over what civs to add / invent.

The intention is for the Steampunk World map to provide a quick game and I'm not planning to change that - more civs would mean a bigger map and slower turns.

I take your point about mind flayers but they are intentionally strong - when I look at them again I will probably add a few turns to their auto-production time so there's not so many about.

A BFG scenario??? - you need to head over to the WH40K Workshop: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=252

Curse of Tut produces a Mummy every 5 turns... All this will become clear once the Civilopedia is done.

13. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Just restarted with Mesoamericans... and I have to repeat my report on this problem. Right now, I have four cities (including El Dorado, that I took from The Evil) whose population is constantly dying from disease. Since I have only 14 cities, this means a lrge chunk of my industry is getting crippled every other turn. And I've check the Africans, and they should have the same problem. China also has cities surronded by jungle, but only in the south, and are mostly costal, which helps keep teh population up; China also has plenty of room up north to develop...

14. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Hia folks, back from vacation. Guess others are still in them? :)

Trying to recap what's what, so far:

-bug:we cannot make military aliances;
    -bug:"Call of Cthulhu" has wrong description;
    -bug:"Death Ray" it's imobile;
    -bug:"Curse of Tutankhamun" has no description;
    -bug:Upgrading from Tesla Perambulator to Mechanical Battlesuits costs 0; maybe other units as well?
    -bug:we get "Gas Lightning" from the start;
    -suggestion:Workers need to be able to clear jungle, otherwise Mesoamericans and Africans are at a severe disadvantage (not to mention colonzizing the far east/south China); suggest they get it with Steam Power, to represent all the machinery needed to do this;
    -suggestion:We need a mobile AAA unit; armies in the open are getting torn up by air attack; in the Earth map, there are many cities from which to fly some cover, but in a large random, this won't be possible;
    -suggestion: cut the number of units transportable by military ships, to force the (more realistic) use of passanger/cargo ships for large-scale sealift; suggest frigates can carry only 1, cruisers & dreadnoughts 2;

Anything else?

15. KingArthur

Thanks for the recap. I've fixed those issues now - here are some details.

I will be splitting the naval lines between power and transport.
    I've got a Flak unit in for air cover.
    Clear Jungles (Wetland) now comes with Heroic Engineering.
    Immobile Death Rays were intentional but to compensate they have a range of 2 and can be paradropped.

Still working on the civilopedia.:)

16. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Yay! :goodjob:

17. Blue Monkey

Maybe there will eventually be a unit made that looks something like the original photo that became the tech icon:

Fragments of an ancient dialogue -
    Spoiler :
    quotes were edited (abbreviated) to remove duplicated quotations & material on other topics.
    Imagine something like the picture, belching steam & making a sound something like a basso profundo dungchen - so loudly that it blows zeppelins out of the sky. Sound too fantastic to be real? Extrapolate from the Japanese War Tuba integrated with with these bits of actual technology - pyrophone, Pratt Institute infrastructure organ & the howling terror.

18. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Those are sound detectors. Every nation messed with those, before radar.

Still prefer an energy gun, or steam-powered gatling :D

19. Blue Monkey

Did you read the entire post? And follow the links? That's a picture of a sound detector. It is suggestive rather than proscriptive. Steamunk is meant to be more imaginative than a simple substitution of the energy source of a quotidian device. The steampunk weapon described in the rest of the post has a superficial resemblance to the photo but a quite different mechanism. If you've ever been the target of air under sufficient pressure you'd understand this type of weapon. I've experienced it - as a burst, not a constant stream. It was both painful and deafening. And that was just a child's toy. Ask any pyrotechnician - I've worked as one - about the sonic effect of being next to a mortar firing a report that has a low burst. Steam - used as a motive force - most people would call energy. An array of the multi-barrelled energy weapons described in the rest of the post would be much more like the weapon designed by Palmcrantz (deployed by the Royal Navy) than that of Mr. Gatling.

20. jlvfr

jlvfr King

I know, I know. Sorry if I didn't made myself clear. My personal preference is for machinery that goes ZAAAAAAAAPPP or DAKKDAKKDAKKA, not PIIIIIIIIIIIIIII :D

As an apology, here's a new steampunk-based game
    dystopian legions :blush: