Stellaris

I hope you find one of those Fallen Empires that frown upon slavers and purgers. :p

So I'm not an EU4 player or really much grand strategy at all (I tried EU4 for a brief time after seeing all the people on this board love it, but it didn't grab me at all)... I like the standard strategy/tactical games like MoO, Civ, and so on.

Anyone around here like me that is playing Stellaris that can comment on how they like it?

The Ushag continue their journey into space for SCIENCE!

On the way we encounter a primitive race that were currently in their early space age; these beings have dubbed themselves as humanity.

We find they have indeed spread out across their planet and have adapted industrial societies.

With the death of the Director a election is held to see who among our best will lead us across the stars.

Dluuret Flanagon is chosen among our best to lead us: hail the Director!

Meanwhile to protect, study and indoctrinate the humans who we seek to technologically uplift we build a frontier post to lay claim to Sol.

Thanks to SCIENCE we upgrade the Earthlings' technology and allow them to reach the galactic space age; they are thankful and have become loyal subjects of the Directory.

Though we have face competition for the stars we are at peace, the scientists of the Directory ensuring that we expand both our empire and our minds as we lay our place in the stars. Quocunque Jeceris Stabit!

spiral galaxy players beware! Transports come only with Warp I, so they can't move from arm to arm.

Here is the Jedi Council (formerly Jedi Republic and then Galactic Republic, until we joined a federation that I renamed into "Galactic Federation"), 160 years into the game and with the naval capacity of a Fallen Empire. It's funny because we're Pacifist but we've gone to war twice.

So I'm not an EU4 player or really much grand strategy at all (I tried EU4 for a brief time after seeing all the people on this board love it, but it didn't grab me at all)... I like the standard strategy/tactical games like MoO, Civ, and so on.

Anyone around here like me that is playing Stellaris that can comment on how they like it?

I'm similar to you and I'm loving Stellaris.

That does not seem to work.

This game is so great so far. I've always preferred space based 4x games over historical ones, and Paradox's grand strategy style really suits the genre. It helps that the game has fantastic writing which helps big time with the buy-in. I couldn't believe the game was only $40, it's fleshed out enough to be a $60 game as is, although I'm sure PDox is expecting to make a killing on DLC sales just like all of there other games.

My only complaint at this point is that the diplomacy seems pretty substandard. Even the races that like me the most absolutely refuse to make an alliance, and without an alliance you can't do things like research agreements, so my diplomacy at this stage is pretty much limited to occasionally swapping star maps with them.

This amused me a little:

It appears that even in space Byzantium cannot escape the Ottomans.

So I'm playing as the evil human empire, and I replaced one of the primitive civilizations leadership with my own and annexed them. In the interest of roleplaying I enslaved the populace, limited their procreative rights and moved some of my colonists into the administration centers, but the happiness is so miserable that they keep moving back. What can I do to slowly replace the enslaved alien scum and repopulate them with humans? I'm thinking of even allowing them their procreative rights, but the consistent unhappiness makes me question of usefulness of this whole mechanic.

Any tips are appreciated as I'm not really used to Paradox games. I'm managing just fine for now in comparison to neighboring empires, but I feel like my empire is running suboptimally.

spiral galaxy players beware! Transports come only with Warp I, so they can't move from arm to arm.

You can upgrade them. I'm not entirely sure how since I figured it out on accident, but I think maybe if you put them in orbit you can then upgrade them.

So I'm playing as the evil human empire, and I replaced one of the primitive civilizations leadership with my own and annexed them. In the interest of roleplaying I enslaved the populace, limited their procreative rights and moved some of my colonists into the administration centers, but the happiness is so miserable that they keep moving back. What can I do to slowly replace the enslaved alien scum and repopulate them with humans? I'm thinking of even allowing them their procreative rights, but the consistent unhappiness makes me question of usefulness of this whole mechanic.

Any tips are appreciated as I'm not really used to Paradox games. I'm managing just fine for now in comparison to neighboring empires, but I feel like my empire is running suboptimally.

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of niggling issue I'd expect from a PDX game. I think sit out this one out and have another look after the expansions.

The screenies do look juicy though. :(

Started it up yesterday, as the arthropoid pregenerated race (possibly a mistake - the hyperdrive system seems to be intended as strict downside relative to other forms of travel, to compensate for the many bonuses hyperdrive-capable races start with).

I'm enjoying it but many areas so far feel a bit flat. Of course it's a 4x rather than a 'grand strategy game' aka CKII, but the lack of interaction at least early on is disappointing for a Paradox title. The other empires don't seem interested in contact or conflict, and my neighbour has a trait (Harmonious Collective) that ensures a blanket refusal to allow access to my ships or research stations (my own fault I hadn't realised what frontier outposts do, so they got to set up shop around a system with a primitive civilisation before I did, while I couldn't extend past my borders - which reached only to one adjacent system - to set up mining stations).

Anomalies (which seem to repeat too frequently - hopefully as with other Paradox titles events and event chains will become more varied with patches and DLC) aside, exploration feels unengaging - planets don't have vary variable characteristics per type, strategic resources start to unlock late, and I haven't come across anything akin to MOO's artifact planets let alone any of the variety of Distant Worlds. This is sad as this part of the game has tended to be a strength of the better space 4xes.

Ship customisation seems like make-work - everything I've unlocked so far is just a basic stat upgrade, without the variety of function of DW or of the MOO titles (including the most recent).

On first loading the game it seemed a lot like Distant Worlds with a useable interface, which is basically the space 4x definition of perfection. Having played since it's enjoyable but feels very shallow (not unlike the latest Master of Orion, which at least has nostalgia to trade on), and there are very basic interface features that appear to be lacking altogether - I haven't yet found a way to obtain a list of available colony ship targets, only a tickbox that shows planet habitability (but not planet type or size) on the galaxy map - itself an awkward two-layer system that isn't obviously necessary where Distant Worlds achieves a better result with a mouse scrollwheel. Losing the fuel cell system was a shame in Master of Orion; lacking any kind of fuel restriction or DW's fuel station approach is also disappointing here. Early gameplay seems devoted purely to setting up mines and power plants to fuel them, and I haven't yet found any clear use for excess credits (I tried a couple of times to do instant cash-for-mineral trading with a neighbour, but despite a +1 agreement rating the transaction never went through - may be a bug as I didn't receive notification that the offer had been declined).

Also, some of the race descriptions etc. need tweaking for consistency with their context - I encountered a primitive civilization of 'Fragmented Nations' described as using nuclear weapons and close to mutual extinction. The race trait was Pacifist. The fact that these races - although they can't engage in diplomacy - use diplomacy modifiers is a bit awkward. I'm a race of - to Iron Age societies - godlike alien insects observing them from orbit, and they appear to be fully aware of my existence, xenophobic towards me, and finding me repugnant to boot?

Well I entered my first wars: first was some jerk keep attacking my human vessels; sadly they kept ending in White Peace because I was still trying to learn the demand system.

Then I entered a alliance... which leaded me into a war with this massive ideological opposition (the Ard-Rheam are fanatical materialists and my opposition are fanatical spiritualists) then my rival decided to join in the fun, causing me a three way war with my ideological threat showing off their superior fleet numbers (keep in mind that while I may have grown my fleets over time I was in peace till this stage of the game) so I had the "pleasure" of seeing my home-world bombarded; thankfully my enemy's invasion force ended up warping into one of my battle stations, buying my capital time as the bombarding fleet decided to go off somewhere else to cause trouble. Meanwhile I succeeded in getting my rival into a vessel, thus granting me a large boost to my potential fleets.

Complete with the recent titan project and now I will in my next round commence my schemes to get the zealots out of my part of the galaxy! They will leave or be forced to be my thrall, just like my rival!

Quocunque Jeceris Stabit!

A so-called "Fallen" Empire, eh? Not a species to cross!

Top Bottom