Storm Over Europe (SOE)

TomYo689, thank you very much for your interest in SOE and for your comments about that scenario.:) Please don´t forget, what you are playing here is an early beta (so this scenario is in development nearly since the start of C3C).

Takes like 15 minutes for the end turn to finish.

The first turn times are much longer than the turn times after Italy enters WW2 and many immobile units are upgraded to mobile units. In the next version Italian units at least in Africa are mobile from start. So SOE here becomes as "unhistoric" as all Civ 3 Ww2 scenarios I´m aware of, this speeds up early turntimes drastically.

Transport steamer won't leave the city after building it?

Yes, this is an interims-provisorium in the SOE beta early turns, to prevent the AI from loading Italian immobile units and causing a CtD for the game. There will be a better solution with the next version of SOE.

Kinda complicated and incomplete civopedia leaves a lot of questions.

Yes, this is unfortunately very true. At present I don´t have the time to continue working on the SOE civilopedia, but this will change when I get the time for it again (may be after christmas, when the next version of my epic mod CCM will be published).

It's amazing though. Why don't any other scenarios use the urban sprawl for their cities? The map is great.

I wonder the same, especially as I posted screenshots of the possibilities with this terrain since many years. My guess is, nobody else before had an idea how to achieve proper results with the use of urban sprawl graphics. It is not enough, to use the urban sprawl road and railroad graphics. Every landtile on the map must need a special setting if it should be able to keep a road/railroad in that tile to avoid, that the use of the sprawl graphics ends in a complete mess. That´s the simple secret of the SOE map: It is a new methode how to create maps for Civ 3. :)

Great game. I have been playing as the British and have in Late 1946. We have managed to take over North Africa and Sicily and am planing an invasion of Italy. We were able to keep a foothold in northern France and now control Normandy and Paris but the Germans have stalled our advance. In the East, Poland has fallen, the Danes are in exile in Iceland, Finland is crumbling, and the German-Soviet front seems to have stalled around Minsk. I have several comments, many of which I'm not sure if they are intentional.

--When I upgrade to advanced commandos they loose the ability to parachute.

--The high defensive value of aircraft means it is a useful tactic to use aircraft to shield cities from bombardment, as the airplane will get hit first but the high defense makes it hard to hurt.

--Several of the tanks in the Operation Torch landing site can never be upgraded (at least in mid 1946 I still can't upgrade them). Specifically they M1A1 tanks of the 1st and 2nd Armor division.

--The strength value of air/land unit values for UK seems very weak. Or maybe the Germans are just too strong? I recognize that they had weaker tanks than the Germans, but in late 1946 I am forced to field Churchhill(4/2) tanks against German E 100's(8/7). Fighters also, the Me-262 has a strength of 22/18 while the best British fighter is still the Spitfire-IX at 15/13. Even the British jets are weaker. The big advantage the Sherman tank had was its numbers, perhaps they should be super cheap?

--On that note, most US units not buildable, even in Convoys from the US. I really wish I could send waves of Sherman Tanks into France, but I can only build those in Scotland and Northern Ireland. It would be nice if you actually could get significant ground troops from the US/Canada. As it stands, it seems the primary role of the US in the war is Operation Torch and the 9th Airforce.

--Ground attack aircraft don't seem to be able to destroy land units (Or at least the Blackburn Skua couldn't I'm not sure I tried others).

--Was it intentional that Op. Overlord gives all British cities the ability to airlift units?

--For some reason the no raze patch isn't working for me; the AI is still razing cities.

--V&W class destroyers can't see subs, even though the Civilopedia says they can.

--Carriers are awesome. I have taken to just parking 7-8 in Normandy and using them to bombard advancing panzers.

--On a related note, I can't build most carriers for some reason For example the HMS Colossus says it needs UK-City, Oil Storage, and Heavy Industry. I have all of those yet can't build one. The only one I can build is the HMS Attacker CVL.

--Some files still weren't named right, I can't remember which ones though so that doesn't help much :blush:. It was mostly wonder slashes and that italian plane that was 180 instead of 108.

--I also noticed that I can only heal land units in cities, not in friendly territory.

--Can the rate at which citizens change nationality be altered? It was a little disconcerting liberating Paris and finding it full of Germans.

This is a great mod and am enjoying it greatly.

a_humble_lich, welcome at CFC :band:[party], sorry for the late reply and thank you very much for your kind words and for your input to SOE. :)

That version is still an early beta and there are many things to adjust. It is not intended to use the planes as a shield against bombardement. The planes still have the testing stats from Rocoteh´s WW2 Global and therefore have more hitpoints than normal SOE units. At present only the bombing values of the planes are adjusted to the SOE landunits. I have a big list about adjusting the other values but that needs time and time is a good that at present is very rare for me.

About the Noraze-patch: There are two different versions of it. One version must be used if you play CivComplete and the other versionif you have a normal upgraded game from Civ 3 (vanilla) over PTW to C3C. If you use the wrong version, the patch doesn´t help.

Concerning the UK tanks: In the next version the Comet tank will close the gap between the Churchill, Cromwell and the Centurion tank.

Operation Overlord was a strong military operation. The airlifting boost is intended.

I will have a look at the British carrier building and the US and Canadian cities receive a boost by autoproducing improvements. The same for the US tanks in Operation Torch. They should be upgradeable.

I will reflect about changing the assimilation rate. :)

Why hasn´t commando forces the Pillage flag on ??

Also perhaps they should, as being weak, have All terrains as Roads.

The issue with commandos is fast in, as is airdrop, destroy and then getting away.

If I´m not all wrong the old vanilla Explorer is best used as such (damned the name), and I think I read that an explorer moving around in foreign territory wont do the AI as irritated as if a normal infantry unit does the same.
Not sure if some flag tick has been programmed in so the AI takes it easier.
Now I could be wrong on the last bit,
but please explain the commandos.

Added:
Just a hint on a new beta version soon enough, or. In late June you issued a major boost on such a beta. Any ETA on it.

This scenario looks incredibly epic! I hope it's still in production. I'd love to try it out. If there is a newer version now, please upload it.:)

This scenario looks incredibly epic! I hope it's still in production. I'd love to try it out. If there is a newer version now, please upload it.:)

Hi Aleenik, this mod is "still in production". In this post of the "scenario of the year"-thread I posted more about it: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12220069&postcount=4.

But there is no "soon update" to the next version of SOE, as I first have to finish the next version of my epic mod CCM. I don´t have the time to push ahead two major modding projects at the same time.

When you play this scenario the first AI interturn-moves are long, due to thousands of immobile Italian and French units on the map, but when Italy enters the war (what happens at the historical date), interturn times become drastically faster.

This is a fantastic scenario! I'm playing SOE version 1.3 as Germany and mid 1942 I'm getting an error and have the most recent patch installed. I have no idea how to fix this. Can anyone please assist?

Attachments

• civ error.jpg
    civ error.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 308
I tried this out some time last year before it was remodded, and it was unplayable for me back then even with my computer being more than adequate for virtually every other game. So a few nights ago I downloaded this new beta version and I've been pleasantly surprised at how good this is. This is obviously "far" from being finished because there are things that need work, but it's very playable so far. It's very impressive in how urban sprawl has been created so systematically to give a sense of the populated areas of Europe, making this war all the more fun because it looks like I'm marching through little towns and villages on the way to bigger cities. Unit values + HP took some getting used to, but I like the setup a lot. All in all, a good scenario. A very good scenario in fact. If this is ever finalized in a non-beta Version 1, this will be even more amazing.

At first I was wondering why a scenario as good as this only has 6 pages of comments: I think this is a very intimidating scenario. It takes getting used to, and I've only been playing about 10 turns and only as Germany. Each turn requires a lot of strategic and tactical planning, but I like that too. It makes me feel like I'm actually planning a complex European war.

I wanted to share about 5 issues or suggestions I've noticed so far to help with the beta testing:

1. German Pz3E 4/2/3 (attack/defense/movement) upgrades to German Pz3 H 3/2/3. It loses an offensive point when it upgrades: is that intended? That seems counter intuitive so I'm assuming it's an error.

2. Riga (Baltic States capital) doesn't have a city resource at all. Not a "European City" or any other city despite also being a HQ area. Is that intentional? I'm assuming not.

3. Northeastern Icelandic city named "New " with a space in game, while in editor it's simply an unnamed city. Unless you have something specific in mind, like the name of a UK or US airbase, this map of Iceland offers a few choices for a city name in that NE area: http://www.vidiani.com/maps/maps_of_europe/maps_of_iceland/detailed_road_map_of_iceland.jpg

4. While playing as Germany, I noticed all the different kinds of aircraft I have, and can build. I have quite a few preplaced planes which are renamed. Remembering which ones have lethal ground bombardment was very confusing. A few times I felt compelled to reload the game because I accidentally chose to bomb a weakened ground target but ended up destroying the improvements: I'd only reload if I messed up like that due to confusion over unit abilities. If it is possible to label or alter air unit graphics to make it clearly visible which is which and which ones have lethal bombardment, that would be extraordinarily helpful. Maybe I'm alone on that, but figuring out which were which while I was bombing ground targets was really confusing. To clarify: in a city of mine with a small stack of aircraft it was difficult to check civilopedia entries and compare those names to the named aircraft I had in my stack, and remember which have lethal ground bombardment. I hope that makes sense.

5. Germany starts with Britannic troopships in a few locations, not just one near Kiel on the German coastline but one off the coast of Greenland and one more between the US Convoy city and the UK. Is it intentional for Germany to start with an empty Britannic troopship off Greenland and another west of Cornwall? I'm assuming it's not, but were these supposed to be UK troopships that accidentally got assigned to Germany? That seems like that you meant to do, but I just thought I'd ask.

Great scenario, and I hope my comments help a bit!

This is a fantastic scenario! I'm playing SOE version 1.3 as Germany and mid 1942 I'm getting an error and have the most recent patch installed. I have no idea how to fix this. Can anyone please assist?

Hi,
I do not have this patch installed SoU\c3c. It may refer to a unit that was named diffrerent.
I think you have to look in the \SOU\Text\Pedilacons.Txt
In this file (can be opened by note pad) check to look for typos.
Look for Z008, in \sou\art\units and also check .ini for typos, any _ may be a space:eek:

If I were you, I'd download the text file again. Sometimes when I've downloaded a mod or scenario there's an error or missing entry in the text file that fixes itself when I download the files again. For some reason, sometimes the text file is corrupted or somehow incomplete. It's happened to me before and it's happened to other people (I've seen a few people in the Age of Imperialism thread by El Justo mention they had similar missing entries, and the solution in each case was to download the files again).

I'm still playing my first game of SOE (currently February 1941 or turn 17) but I wanted to show my game in progress and share some strategic tips for people wanting to play as Germany. Currently this is what my game looks like:

Spoiler :

Britain:
Liverpool will undoubtedly fall to the Wehrmacht in March of 1941. London fell near the end of 1940, and my Panzers backed up by Me-109E's covering air superiority and Stuka 87's bombing enemy targets have brought the light of Hitler to the British people. Newspapers in London report that the Occupation is doubleplusgood, and that the chocolate ration will be reduced from 20 grams to 15 grams.

Spoiler :

Spain:
Shortly before the lower row of French cities were conquered (Biarritz, Toulouse, Marseilles, and Nice) by me (the Italians didn't even destroy ONE French fortification on the French/Italian border ffs) the Italians and Spanish declared war on each other, dragging me into that war by default. So not only did I have to sweep through the bottom of France, I'm having to fight in Spain. The Spanish don't have a big army but they did wipe out some of my Panzers already, including an army/corp/"tank bataillion". The Italians have been providing long-range bombing support and helped me take down Spanish forces trying to come up from Barcelona into the Marseilles area. Now I've pulled Panzers down along that border, and in the west I've taken some cities and now share a border with Portugal. The chocolate ration is being increased to 15 grams, and everyone agrees this is doubleplusgood.

Spoiler :

Norway:
Norway still isn't conquered yet. I've only committed a small force to Norway, essentially what I've started with, and what I've built in Norway. I have this turn landed a tank army near Oslo, and I've got one of those tank divisions with 7 HP on the way to Oslo next turn. I've also rebased some bombers in Oslo, so the conquest of Norway will pretty much be limited to how fast my troops can move over hills and forests.

Spoiler :

Russia:
While the Baltic States were still around this is where I expanded to, letting the Russians take the rest, so I could maintain this defensive position, using my Stukas to destroy incoming Russians while I waited for a good time to counterattack. With Operation Barbarossa complete (not sure why this is available in Feb 1941 rather than June 1941) and my forces ready, with continued aircraft production being sent along my Russian border, now's a good time I suppose.

Africa:
I didn't take a screenshot there because I haven't done anything. The Africa Korps immobile units haven't been able to upgrade yet, and I don't have much down there that's capable of going on an offensive campaign, so I'm just waiting for whenever that's supposed to happen. Also, I might just wait until the Allies take all of Libya before I go on the offensive. The Italians have mostly been completely useless this whole game, and I'd rather take those Libyan cities myself so I can pump out useful things than let those cities be wasted by an ally more useless than the French. At least my Balkan allies have been doing helpful things.

So some tips I've found helpful are pretty much using careful tactical and strategic planning on the initial turn as Germany to take most of Poland from Danzig to Lwov including Warsaw in the very first turn, and utilizing forces along the Maginot line to take out French artillery. I kept my Infantry on my Siegfried Line so there wouldn't be any pockets, and the French would be forced to go through Belgium. On the second turn the French pretty much pull everything off the Maginot line, leaving those weak fortifications that can be fairly easily killed by artillery.

This whole game, besides constructing buildings in cities, the only military units I've been making (except for some tanks when I spawn those tank corp units) are aircraft. Pumping out those Me-190Es and Ju-87 Stukas lets you wipe out troops on the ground and mostly control the skies. This was enormously helpful in conquering the Lowlands and taking over France, holding the East and bombing out incoming Russian/Polish troops, and also in my invasion of Britain. By keeping my bombers in Brussels and my interceptors in Calais, I was able to bomb Dover into the Stone Age and deprived it of garrisons. After I got that Fall Gelb wonder that put barracks/airfields in my cities temporarily, I used one of those Alpine Troops to instantly go from Calais to an empty Dover, establishing my bridgehead into England. I think I had 2 barges and a freighter, so I moved as many troops as I could into Dover, and then I airlifted Wehrmacht Riflemen from virtually every single city I controlled straight into Dover, so the city would be instantly spammed with a mass of defensive troops. I had to spend a couple more turns ferrying troops into Dover and using that airlift spam, but my Stukas mostly wiped out British troops that tried to retake Dover.

Now I'm just waiting for whatever tech that will let me upgrade those immobile tanks in Ploesti, East Prussia, and the Afrika Korps.

Once I take the rest of Britain I'll make some barges and freighters in Wales to land in Northern Ireland, and then I'll probably invade the Republic of Ireland and finish them off. I'll probably just keep making forces in Norway in case I need to invade Sweden, while I keep working on Russia and possibly finish off Spain.

Hi Mod Maniac, thank you very much for your kind words. :)

When looking on your screenshot, I can see, that you have mixed up the files. For the German invasion point in Norway, your screenshot is showing the old "Isle of Man"-resource and not the Narvik shield. This means you use the the old resource-file "Resources-orig" (that contains the old Isle of Man -resource) and not the current resource file that is simply named Resources. May be your current problem is also caused by a "mix up" you have in your files.

The screenshot Z_008 Audio means that you have a problem with the files of unit "Z008 Cruiser" and here it seems the problem is in the audio-sector. I tested the unit again before this post and all worked well.

A simple solution for you could be to copy and rename another cruiser unit to Z008 Cruiser. For example you can do this with Z007 Light Cruiser. You must find the unit in the \Art\Units folder, rename the old unit Z008 Cruiser to Z008 Cruiser-old (or something like that), than copy Z007 Light Cruiser and rename the folder to Z008 Cruiser and you have also to rename the INI-file inside that folder to Z008 Cruiser.
Then you should be able to continue your game even with the mixed up files you have, until the next problem occurs. I strongly suggest, you should also use the Resources file in the Art-folder and not the old file "Resources-orig" as the later will give you some strange graphical feelings.

Thank you all for the other new posts in that thread. :) I will answer them, when I have the time to do it.

Still immensely enjoying this scenario and wanted to share an update on my situation as Führer of Europe...

December 24, 1941
To Eva Braun
From Adolf

It is December 24th of 1941 and 1942 looms ahead. That wretched Christian holiday stolen from the pagans is tomorrow, and my mood is as grim as the fighting in the East. The Soviets announced their Winter Campaign in November, and only time will tell if Ivan can push me back. My advance into the heart of Bolshevism itself is terrifying and exciting. It feels as if Providence has led me to this day as the Volk march upon Leningrad and Moscow. Long have I dreamed of colonizing Eastern Europe, and if I have anything to do with it, Russia will become our India, our jewel in the crown.

Despite some setbacks across Europe and Africa, the German people are mobilized and dedicated to fighting our way to the top of history, to make a stamp upon the world that will last for a thousand years and endure for all time long after our Reich is but a memory and darkness descends upon civilization. Keeping the rest of the subjugated populations in line is another matter: while we have pacified the Poles, the Flemish, the Walloons, the Irish, the Norwegians, the Baltic peoples, and so on, troublemakers persist in Britain, France, and de-Bolshevized Russia. As we expand the frontiers of Germania, we not only have to fight those who resist German rule, but quell resistance in the cities we capture. It is no matter, no consequence. We continue to endure the hardships of war in the hopes for a greater future.

Our strategy for defeating the Russians consists of strengthening key points along our front that stretches from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea, stationing our Messerschmitt fighters and our Stuka bombers on those key points, maintaining long-range control of key areas.

My generals inform me that our plan to work towards advancing on Moscow, Stalingrad, and Leningrad is proceeding apace. Although winter has come, they assure me that the widespread lack of proper winter clothing isn't an issue at all, and nothing to worry about.

Spoiler :

Moscow:
German troops report sighting the tall tower of the Kremlin, an appropriately massive and red center of Stalin's power on the doorstep of Europe proper.

Spoiler :

Spain:
While German soldiers march in the East, war has broken out again in Spain; the Spanish declared war on us after they accused us of trying to conduct an extensive network of espionage and sabotage in their country. It's true, of course, and now our Panzers have an excuse to take the rest of Spanish Iberia, and we are now poised to reach a position where we can strike at Gibraltar and even invade French North Africa from our Spanish base of operations.

Spoiler :

North Africa:
Rommel reports that he is about to capture the first enemy territory in North Africa as he races towards the Suez Canal to cut off Allied support in the Middle East.

Spoiler :

Kriegsmarine:
The German Navy has performed admirably since the beginning of the war. We have kept the convoys from Canada and the US both blocked from reaching Britain (when Britain wasn't yet conquered) and the US convoys bombed. The Russian convoys have also been continuously blockaded and bombed since the outbreak of hostilities, and now our naval commanders report a successful and complete blockade and bombardment of the Orkney and Shetland islands off the north coast of Scotland. All along the English Channel our industrialists have begun rushing production of 2 Bismarck-class battleships and 6 aircraft carriers. Once this fleet is finished in about 3 months it will be used to eliminate the convoys once and for all, and also provide support for the invasion of Danish/British Iceland.

Scandinavia:
We are at an uneasy peace with Sweden; who knows how long that will last?

All in all, this has been a good year for Germany.

-Adolf

A few more questions whenever you get around to reading the last handful of posts...

Although I'm still playing my game as Germany, I started another with Britain, and I noticed some things.

B.E.F. in France, aka British Expeditionary Force, lacks the airfield improvement, although the city has the Airfield resource under it. I noticed that the Airfield improvement requires the HQ resource, not airfield. Are both of these things intentional?

Malta and Gibraltar lack an airfield.

Leobon, thank you very much for your kind words.:) I have enjoyed your reports about your campaign as Germany a lot :):goodjob: and I´m wondering what difficulty level you are playing in that game.

Your input is highly appreciated and now I´m trying to answer some of your questions:

German Pz3E 4/2/3 (attack/defense/movement) upgrades to German Pz3 H 3/2/3. It loses an offensive point when it upgrades: is that intended? That seems counter intuitive so I'm assuming it's an error.

Yes, this is an error. Thank you for reporting it. :)

Riga (Baltic States capital) doesn't have a city resource at all. Not a "European City" or any other city despite also being a HQ area. Is that intentional? I'm assuming not.

This is another error, Again, thank you very much for the report. :)

Northeastern Icelandic city named "New " with a space in game, while in editor it's simply an unnamed city. Unless you have something specific in mind, like the name of a UK or US airbase, this map of Iceland offers a few choices for a city name in that NE area: http://www.vidiani.com/maps/maps_of_...of_iceland.jpg

That city becomes an US invisible city, seen as an airfield by the resource in that tile. The setting wasn´t ready for the present early betatest version of SOE.

While playing as Germany, I noticed all the different kinds of aircraft I have, and can build. I have quite a few preplaced planes which are renamed. Remembering which ones have lethal ground bombardment was very confusing. A few times I felt compelled to reload the game because I accidentally chose to bomb a weakened ground target but ended up destroying the improvements: I'd only reload if I messed up like that due to confusion over unit abilities. If it is possible to label or alter air unit graphics to make it clearly visible which is which and which ones have lethal bombardment, that would be extraordinarily helpful. Maybe I'm alone on that, but figuring out which were which while I was bombing ground targets was really confusing. To clarify: in a city of mine with a small stack of aircraft it was difficult to check civilopedia entries and compare those names to the named aircraft I had in my stack, and remember which have lethal ground bombardment. I hope that makes sense.

This makes a lot of sense! Leobon, thank you very much for that very good suggestion! :):goodjob:

Germany starts with Britannic troopships in a few locations, not just one near Kiel on the German coastline but one off the coast of Greenland and one more between the US Convoy city and the UK. Is it intentional for Germany to start with an empty Britannic troopship off Greenland and another west of Cornwall? I'm assuming it's not, but were these supposed to be UK troopships that accidentally got assigned to Germany? That seems like that you meant to do, but I just thought I'd ask.

This is intended. When WW II break out in Sept. 1939, many German passenger ships were on the oceans of the world and not in their home country. Per example the empty passenger ship off Greenland is the "Europa", at that time one of the biggest and fastest German passenger ships and winner of the "Blue Ribband". In history that ship had a dramatic escape to Russia, when it was surprised by the outbreak of WW II. [Edited: It was the sister ship Bremen. I have to rename that ship]. Unfortunately there are only two Civ 3 models for big passenger ships of those days: The Titanic and the Britanic. Therefore one of these models had to be used for that ship. These civil ships help to a better performance of the AI and also add another component of the beginning of WW II.

Now I'm just waiting for whatever tech that will let me upgrade those immobile tanks in Ploesti, East Prussia, and the Afrika Korps

In SOE most big military operations are performed by a GW that provides barrack-improvements to certain regions of the map, allowing to upgrade preplaced units that now can surpass terrain, that was forbidden for them before.

One of the exceptions is the DAK in North Afrika. The preplaced DAK always has the function of barracks, allowing the upgrading of units. Here the preplaced immobile 15th and 21st Panzerdivisions can be upgraded to mobile units when they historically arrived in North Africa.

Operation Barbarossa (not sure why this is available in Feb 1941 rather than June 1941)

The Project Operation Barbarossa needs one turn to be build and the preplaced immobile units need another turn to be upgraded to mobile units with the barracks that are provided by that GW. Most of the tanks need an additional turn to run to the Russian front. Therefore that wonder influences the game in the proper span of time. As the GW must be build bevore June 1941, I called it "Project" Operation Barbarossa and not Operation Barbarossa.

B.E.F. in France, aka British Expeditionary Force, lacks the airfield improvement, although the city has the Airfield resource under it. I noticed that the Airfield improvement requires the HQ resource, not airfield. Are both of these things intentional?

Malta and Gibraltar lack an airfield

Both is intended. Britain didn´t hold cities in France, but soon after the outbreak of WW II, it had some airfields near Reims. So the "invisible city BEF" looks like an airfield, but the invisible city doesn´t contain an airfield for reasons of gameplay, otherwise there would be too many British troops in France much too early via airlifting. The same reason is why Malta and Gibraltar lack an airfield improvement at the start of WW II.

A big thank you to Civinator and Leobon to responding to my earlier post which helped immensely. I have started another game as the Russians and ran across another issue that I can't seem to correct. When I build the Transiberian Railroad in Kazan I'm getting another error - see screenshot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is by far the best mod I have ever played and I can't seem to stop playing it :goodjob:

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    318 KB · Views: 190
A big thank you to Civinator and Leobon to responding to my earlier post which helped immensely. I have started another game as the Russians and ran across another issue that I can't seem to correct. When I build the Transiberian Railroad in Kazan I'm getting another error - see screenshot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is by far the best mod I have ever played and I can't seem to stop playing it :goodjob:

That wondersplash has the wrong name. Thank you for reporting that error.:)
There should be two easy methods to fix the wrong named wondersplash:

a) In the folder \Art \wondersplash rename the splash siberian to Trans_Sib or
b) In the folder \Text rename the wrong entry in the file PediaIcons from Trans_Sib to siberian (followed by.pcx)

I don´t know, why you always get the "Audio"-suffix. Each wonder should have the wonder.wav sound file stored in the Sounds-folder.

Btw.: It´s more easy to store the screenshots in jpg-format, as this format can be seen directly

I changed the file name in the text folder to siberian.pcx and that fixed it. Once again thanks so much for your help and quick responses:worship:.

I had tried Russia when SOE was first released here at CFC but now have started a new game since your last update posted. The updates are very nice, and I expecially appreciate the improvements in the civilopedia and interface graphics. They are a great help in understanding how to play your civ and what the benefits are for different units and buildings.

I started by attacking all long the front, and seized key cities within easy reach such as Narva, Tarnapol, and Chisinau. All rifle divisions are being rushed to the front, while the cities build basic infantry, railroads, and special factories and workers. On the following turns, my forces are being channelled in three major directions. First, we are assaulting the Baltic states by moving straight west through Estonia, then turning south. This way, our tank forces can concentrate while staying out of German bomber range as long as possible.

Second, we are driving into Romania very slowly. Axis aircraft are bombarding us heavy every turn and we have no fighter coverage for defense. Right now, I've got enough forces outside Golati that soon we can break through and turn north. I hope to drive up to Botosani first to eliminate the Romanian air forces based there, then turn back and hit Ploesti.

Against the Finns it has been a more cautious game. My troops have consildated in small groups of infantry and artillery, with the tank units behind them. The Finnish forces gather and either strike my strong points, or funnel down the openings I left. Then my artillery can stealth attack and wipe out their toughest offensive units, and my tanks can counterattack. Even my weak Red Air Force has been helpful in whittling down the tough Finnish infantry. They launched a large counterattack when I seized Pitkaranta which ended in disaster for them, so the path should be open for further conquests.

Spoiler :

I'm establishing garrisons at Leningrad, Minsk, and Kiev, composed of infantry divisions, tank brigades, and tank battalions. That way, if the Germans defeat my advancing forces, I will have a stopgap until Soviet mobilization begins. It's about mid-1940 and I'm getting ready to smash Lithuania and break out. More to follow!

Attachments

• soe.jpg
    soe.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 985
AnthonyBoscia, thank you very much for your report about your Russian game. :goodjob: Until now, I have much too less reports about playing as Russia. For the still to be implemented SOE "GröFaz-Victory" (Greatest Fieldmarshall of all times) - the SOE space race victory- Russia must build a victory monument in London. :D

I had tried Russia when SOE was first released here at CFC but now have started a new game since your last update posted. The updates are very nice, and I expecially appreciate the improvements in the civilopedia and interface graphics. They are a great help in understanding how to play your civ and what the benefits are for different units and buildings.

The civilopedia is still in a very early beta-Version and much must be added and cleared. I hope the next version of the SOE civilopedia will use the new format of the next version of the CCM civilopedia. The problem is that I only have a very limited time available to do these improvements.

I started by attacking all long the front, and seized key cities within easy reach such as Narva, Tarnapol, and Chisinau. All rifle divisions are being rushed to the front, while the cities build basic infantry, railroads, and special factories and workers. On the following turns, my forces are being channelled in three major directions. First, we are assaulting the Baltic states by moving straight west through Estonia, then turning south. This way, our tank forces can concentrate while staying out of German bomber range as long as possible.

Second, we are driving into Romania very slowly. Axis aircraft are bombarding us heavy every turn and we have no fighter coverage for defense. Right now, I've got enough forces outside Golati that soon we can break through and turn north. I hope to drive up to Botosani first to eliminate the Romanian air forces based there, then turn back and hit Ploesti.

Narva, Tarnapol, and Chisinau should be easily accessable for Russia to simulate history and the Russian invasion to Bessarabia and the Bukovina in 1940. It´s interesting that the German AI reacts to that invasion astonishingly well. :) An early loss of the oilfields of Ploesti would be a crucial defeat for Germany.

In some prominent WW2 Scenarios for Civ 3 (for example WW2 Global), it´s a big problem, if the German AI will ever attack Russia (or the other way around). Therefore in SOE Germany and Russia are set to war from start of the game - but the game starts in 1939 and therefore the consequences of this setting in SOE must be dimmed down in 1939 and 1940. Airforces at the start of WW2 in SOE are set so Russia and Germany can´t do much damage to the homecountry of the other civ. That´s why the Russian airforce at the start of WW2 is set to limited range and bombardement. In June 1941 the Russian airforce will be upgraded to normal strength.

Additionally in SOE there is a border of terrain that can´t be crossed by most Russian and German landunits in 1939 and 1940. So German and Russian troops in SOE can clash together when the Baltic troops are defeated by one of those civs too early or the date of the game will be June 1941, when the German landunits are upgraded by the project "Operation Barbarossa" (to have upgraded landunits, that can cross the terrain border, the GW "Project Operation Barbarossa", must be errected before that date -an explanation for lurkers in that thread).

German air units can´t be limited like the Russian airforces, as they are needed in full strength to be operable against Poland, France and Britain. The invisible German city of Ploesti in my eyes is one of the coolest features of SOE, assuring the German strategic dependence from the Romanian oil. On the other side the German AI can use that invisible city to launch airraids into Russia from that place. I think I can´t stop that behaviour of the AI when still using that German invisible city. On the other side, these aircraft are missing for the German AI in their campain against France and Britain.

Against the Finns it has been a more cautious game. My troops have consildated in small groups of infantry and artillery, with the tank units behind them. The Finnish forces gather and either strike my dtrong points, or funnel down the openings I left. Then my artillery can stealth attack and wipe out their toughest offensive units, and my tanks can counterattack. Even my weak Red Air Force has been helpful in whittling down the tough Finnish infantry. They launched a large counetrattack when I seized Pitkaranta which ended in disaster for them, so the path should be open for further conquests.

Spoiler :

The Finnish AI in SOE should have enough power to slow down the Russian AI during the historical duration of the Russian-Finnish Winterwar. Interesting is, that the Finnish AI had enough power to slow down even a good human player like you for that time.:)

I'm establishing garrisons at Leningrad, Minsk, and Kiev, composed of infantry divisions, tank brigades, and tank battalions. That way, if the Germans defeat my advancing forces, I will have a stopgap until Soviet mobilization begins. It's about mid-1940 and I'm getting ready to smash Lithuania and break out. More to follow!

I´m very interested in your upcomming comments and reports. :)

Top Bottom