Storm Over Europe (SOE)

Any ideas on this one?...:confused:
"LOAD ERROR
FILE NOT FOUND
Art\Units\\INI
The game will now exit.
:cry:

All set !...Figured it out !....wow !... :dance:

@Marmont, please tell us what was wrong giving you such a message.

@MakaoM, until now I haven´t found the reason for your crash, stealing the Military plans of Italy (and others) to watch the movements of the AI Units (and to become a closer idea about the Event that is leading to the crash) led to an immediate declaration of war. So I will have a closer look on the save-file with Civ-Assist.

@MakaoM, until now I haven´t found the reason for your crash, stealing the Military plans of Italy (and others) to watch the movements of the AI Units (and to become a closer idea about the Event that is leading to the crash) led to an immediate declaration of war. So I will have a closer look on the save-file with Civ-Assist.

Okay. Hopefully you'll find out what is causing it. Take your time and don't hold your breath.

@Marmont, please tell us what was wrong giving you such a message.

Civinator,.. This came up a few turns after fixing the Axis Albanian Infantry wonder splash error in post #121,..' thanks again btw !...on the turn an Albanian Infantry was due to build, about six I think, the error FILE NOT FOUND Art\Units\\INI.... came up, so assuming it was related to that unit build, I went into Conquests/Storm Over Europe/Art/Units/YU007 Albanian Auxiliaries and all I did was changed the 'configuration settings' file from "YU007 Albanian Auxiliaries.iNi " to "YU007 Albanian Auxiliaries.INI" ... restarted the game...no more error..the infantry unit was built.....and so far so good...!!!

Civinator,.. This came up a few turns after fixing the Axis Albanian Infantry wonder splash error in post #121,..' thanks again btw !...on the turn an Albanian Infantry was due to build, about six I think, the error FILE NOT FOUND Art\Units\\INI.... came up, so assuming it was related to that unit build, I went into Conquests/Storm Over Europe/Art/Units/YU007 Albanian Auxiliaries and all I did was changed the 'configuration settings' file from "YU007 Albanian Auxiliaries.iNi " to "YU007 Albanian Auxiliaries.INI" ... restarted the game...no more error..the infantry unit was built.....and so far so good...!!!

Marmont, thank you very much for this report :), as this fix must be done in the next download of SOE, so this error can be avoided for all civers playing this scenario

I realized I'm more of a GD whore than I thought. My first action when loading up as the Germans was to look for them :lol:. Though admittedly I do reenact as member of GD.

I've only played about 2 turns thus far, and I really enjoy everything. Not being able to bombard with most artillery forces me to change up my strategy quite a bit, but I suppose that's a good thing. Thank you for spicing things up in Civ again!:goodjob:

I've played so far as Germany, Britain, Italy, and I'm currently playing as the USSR, and I still very much like this scenario. I end up spending up to an hour, even more, on a single turn, depending on which faction I am playing as. This forces me to really organize my tactics and overall strategy, and I'm still very much in love with the microcity economies and unit HP/stats. Instead of power creep and really imbalanced unit values, this scenario starts with a bare minimum in an attempt to balance units, which works pretty well.

I have to disagree with some comments made, based on my own experience: the Russians seem to get pummeled in every game I've played (except right now where I am playing as Russia) so I'm not sure adding air power to Ploesti is necessary since I've never seen the Russian AI take the city, and they always get beaten back.

I've also noticed that Britain falls to a German invasion. Germans can mass produce lots of units that are capable of capturing Dover, and then keep driving into the interior. I played as Britain and DAMN it was hard at times to keep Dover from falling into German hands, especially when Germany is mass producing those Nebelwurfer things that can cross the Channel AND possess 6 attack on the same turn. I have yet to see a British AI push into Normandy, even when Britain builds all its Operation Overlord/Normandy-related stuff.

Anthony is right about worker-produced airbases: in every game I try to keep them near major cities. Currently as Russia, for the first couple turns in the game I basically forced every city to make a worker for the sole purpose of building an airbase adjacent to each city. This has become tremendously handy so that my rear cities can produce Riflemen spam/artillery that can be sent continuously to the front lines in Finland, the Baltic, and the Balkans.

I ended up quitting my game as Italy once it was clear that victory was entirely assured and continuing to play was just a waste of time when I could be playing as Russia. :) I did come close to fulfilling Mussolini's dream of a Second Roman Empire (I was in the process of finishing off Greece, and I had forces in Italian Middle East/Italian Greece ready to invade Turkey immediately after Greece fell, and since I had taken the French source of uranium before Germany did, I was going to nuke Spain to make it easy for my forces stationed there to conquer Iberia). What's sort of funny is that almost immediately after Germany & I finished off France, I provoked a war with Switzerland, and despite the Germans making heavy use of their airpower to whittle down Swiss forces, I managed to take ALL the Swiss cities; the Germans took nothing. If you're playing as Italy, you really want to move your forces in France to assault Genf, and then use your forces in Italy to capture Locarno (and optimally also Bern), to establish a direct supply line and movement corridor through the Alps, to keep Italy linked up with Western Europe; really is essential.

(The line of troops is to block off Bulgaria from sending in forces to possibly take Greek cities before I do)
Spoiler :

I realized I'm more of a GD whore than I thought. My first action when loading up as the Germans was to look for them :lol:. Though admittedly I do reenact as member of GD.

GD?

--------

Bug report: Italy's "RIN Aquila CV" does not have the "bombard" flag enabled and thus cannot bomb anything.

EDIT: Just a suggestion, but I notice Dover has 2/3 of its English squares landmark terrain, which would slow down a German beach head invasion, but 1 square is "Plains". Perhaps it would create a better dynamic to make that square landmark, and to surround Calais with fully landmark tiles? This would make it more difficult for either Britain or Germany to invade through Calais or Dover and prolong the fighting, making it harder for Germany to rush in and gobble up GB.

Leobon, thank you very much for your kind words about SOE. I appreciate your input about changing the terrain next to Dover and the error report about the RIN Aquila CV. :)

When I have finished the epic mod CCM, I will return to SOE and do a big update for this scenario. :)

One other thing I wanted to mention is that building a forest on LM terrain turns that square into a road-capable square. I saw the AI use it in order to connect micro-cities to the rest of their trade network. Personally I'm going to disable forest-planting as a worker job in my own copy of SOE just to prevent that from happening but I thought you should be aware of that problem.

Few bug reports/suggestions:

--- Stalingrad cannot build the STZ Complex because it lacks the headquarters resource (the complex is buildable only in Stalingrad by Late 1941 and requires Special City & Headquarters); I removed its resource requirements and simply made STZ require the Zavod Number 183 wonder (which is preplaced in Stalingrad).

--- Polikarpovs preplaced at Stalingrad and Aaunus (northeast of Leningrad) are able to upgrade to normal Polikarpovs, but cannot become Yaks since they cannot rebase, and both of those cities are blocked off from the trade network. The Polikarpovs-* located in the airfield northeast of Odessa cannot rebase or be upgraded.

--- Early-Submarines-* located in Sevastopol cannot upgrade because Russia is denied Generic Early Submarine as a buildable unit. The Early-Destroyers-* however are able to upgrade, so it's just the preplaced immobile Submarines having this upgrade problem.

--- A Golden Age is set to 20 turns; building the Soviet Winter Offensive in Late 1941 triggered a Golden Age for me. 20 turns is a very long time in SOE. If I can make a suggestion, set Golden Age to 12 turns, so it's only in-game a full year of industrial and commercial boost? 20 turns of industrial boom just seems too long to me, but maybe you were intentionally going for 20?

--- The Convoy resource at "Convoys to Russia" does not appear to provide Russia with anything. There's no improvements or units Russia can build which require "convoy".

--- Transsiberian Railroad wonder splash is incorrectly linked and causes the game to crash: the actual splash image is called "siberian.pcx" instead of what the Civilopedia links to.

--- Building a Hospital seems awkward. It first requires a City Trade Office, then a Cinema, in order to allow construction of a Hospital.

--- In my own game, I set the HP bonus for Russian Siberian Infantry to 4 (for a total of 6 HP at elite experience) and set the attack value to 2 (so the unit has attack/defense/movement of 2/3/1). I did this because Moscow gets a temporary wonder that autoproduces these Siberian reinforcements, and Kazan also gets a permanent wonder that autoproduces them once every two turns. I did this to reflect how Russia's historical Siberian reinforcements made a significant tactical impact for the Soviets.

I think Germany is too overpowered. They're supposed to be able to fight the Allies and the Soviets and the Neutrals, but there's a couple of things that I feel make them actually overpowered; I have yet to see AI Germany/USSR fight and the USSR push back Germany. I've always seen Germany overrun Russia without any counterpush.

- The ability to produce mobile Infantry Divisions/Panzergrenadiere seems to contribute to Germany being overpowered. I think it would be interesting to have an upgrade path for the normal German Infantry Division being upgraded into the Mobile German Infantry Division, which is what I did in my own copy. I am still playing as Russia, but I set an upgrade path for German Infantry Division into Panzergrenadiere, tagged the appropriate stuff as "king", etc.

- German Wurfrahmen40s are overpowered. They cost 60 shields to build, have an attack of 6, a movement of 3, and can attack multiple times a turn. I somewhat nerfed the Wurfs and I also did a slight nerf on Nebelwerfers.

I'm getting an error code. See attached screen shot. I have installed the patch and can't figure out what is going on. Any ideas on how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Error Code.pdf
    314.6 KB · Views: 148
I'm getting an error code. See attached screen shot. I have installed the patch and can't figure out what is going on. Any ideas on how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

There was a typo in SOE with that unit. This was fixed with the SOE patch 15.04.12.
The patch can be found here: http://www.stormoverciv.net/forums/showpost.php?p=26369&postcount=1

If you haven´t downloaded the patch you should do this for your next SOE game. May be it´s not the best idea to patch SOE during your current game as this patch also fixes some SOE concepts.

So the best to fix that error in my eyes is to go to the Storm Over Europe C3C\Art\Units folder and look here for the unit "I011 Piaggio P-108". This shouldn´t be a big problem as the units in that folder are sorted alphabetically and numerically. If the folder stll is named "I011 Piaggio P-180", you have the old folder with the typo. In that case, fix the name with WordPad to the correct name in the unit´s folder and the unit.ini file inside that folder. If the folder of the unit is named correctly, go inside the folder.

When you are in the folder of that unit, look if there is a file named run. The "I011 Piaggio P-108-ini-file" names the file that can be found "Run" with a capital "R" (the same with all other entries of flc-files and that Ini-file). As the run-file inside the folder is named with a small "r", change the "Run"-entries with WordPad in the "I011 Piaggio P-108-ini-file" to run-entires with a small "r" and save the changes in the unit-ini-file.

If this all doesn´t help, copy the attack-file and rename the copy to "Run" or "run" if you have changed the name in the unit.ini to a small "r" before.

I hope this helps.

Hmm... stormoverciv.net seems to have vanished without a trace. Has it moved, or is it simply defunct?

The dead link has to do with the step by step closing of the SOC-site, that hosted this scenario for a long time.

Thank you very much SOC-site and all people of the SOC-staff. :hatsoff:

When the scenario appears again at its new home, I will do an announcement here and update the download link.

Pray that this site doesn´t follow....
I understand that a similar site closed down years ago and now Civfanatics are the final one.
Scary thoughts on the future ...

The dead link has to do with the step by step closing of the SOC-site, that hosted this scenario for a long time.

Thank you very much SOC-site and all people of the SOC-staff. :hatsoff:

When the scenario appears again at its new home, I will do an announcement here and update the download link.

Thank you Civinator! ;)

Top Bottom