Study The Past - a series retrospective

Generative AI is the fastest way for me to lose immersion and suspension disbelief, by its very nature it is capable of only generic text

"Dear leaders of the world. The problem of city state dispute we are discussing right now is very complex and demands careful consideration, as there are multiple factors involved. The solutions which I wanted to propose are
1) Engage in a constructive dialogue respecting both participants and their unique perspectives on the problem.
2) Find authorities willing to mediate in the problem in order to decrease political tensions
3) Ask experts regarding empirically sound solutions to the problem

I believe we can all achieve common understanding and mutual benefits facing this challenge to our global community"
I do agree, though, at the same time, a lot of diplomacy is in fact carried out using just such banal platitudes.

I doubt Firaxis is going to mess around with LLM type AI. Take Two has repeatedly expressed that they hold as a principle that AI should only be used as a tool to supplement human creativity.

Additionally, the Civ dev team has a narrative director for the first time ever, talented and experienced game writer, Cat Manning.

So, whatever revisions they make to the diplomatic system, it's probably going to involve Cat Manning over ChatGTP

The Throne Room was new in Civ 2 and is a popular discontinued feature that players frequently request. They could have mentioned that, but didn't.
Actually, there was a palace also in Civ1. Okay, different name, but same concept (as in Civ3).

The Throne Room was new in Civ 2 and is a popular discontinued feature that players frequently request. They could have mentioned that, but didn't.
No, the throne room was a continuation of the palace in Civ1. :)

Three of the Civ2 features that were (IMHO) innovative but not carried over into Civ3 include:
  • Traders as units on a map, where the player could decide what they carried by which city built them
  • Semi-randomized tech tree. The choices for your next tech to research were a subset of all the techs you *could* research
  • Terraforming, where the player could convert desert -> plains -> grassland
The trade idea was revised in Civ5 where they became units again. In Civ3, trade agreements were negotiated between leaders, so long as a path was available on the map -- either roads or harbors, but no units. I don't believe that Civ4 had units either.

Civ3 allowed the player to queue up techs to be researched, which was not possible in Civ2. This queuing has been supported in the mainline games of the franchise after Civ2.

Terraforming was only possible with long-lived units -- Civ2 settlers or engineers. They had no workers! I expect workers to be highlighted in the Civ3 video.

And yes, I would welcome the return of the high council. They were/are hilarious.

Civ I had caravan units, which were effectively traders. They could be used to help build Wonders or to establish trade routes between cities, something that had been lost by the time of Civ III.

So it looks like Civ III showcase will have the "Let us all for death prepare" quote

• Semi-randomized tech tree. The choices for your next tech to research were a subset of all the techs you *could* research

Civ3 allowed the player to queue up techs to be researched, which was not possible in Civ2. This queuing has been supported in the mainline games of the franchise after Civ2.

These two features would be mutually exclusive.

Huh... really? I do not remember that.

Back before some guys founded the new forum known as CFC, we old grumpy Civ gamers were already trying to deduce the patterns on Apolyton - like here. Civ2 tech choice isn't random, it's fully predictable, but it does use a system that's deliberately hidden from the player so it took the community a bit of time to figure out.

Alpha Centauri also does this. It's a pointless headache most of the time and can really screw you over on rare occasions when you can't play around it.

Back before some guys founded the new forum known as CFC, we old grumpy Civ gamers were already trying to deduce the patterns on Apolyton - like here. Civ2 tech choice isn't random, it's fully predictable, but it does use a system that's deliberately hidden from the player so it took the community a bit of time to figure out.
I joined CFC in 2004; I read articles on both sites. I remember being fascintated by the Early Landing Games. Remember, in Civ2, we had only two victory conditions. 1) Kill every city of every other player, or 2) Be the first to reach Alpha Centauri with your spaceship. Since each trade caravan delivery gave the sender not only gold (or resource) but science (yes, beakers!), the clever folks figured a way to maximize that. Deliver exactly what the destination city demanded, pump up science, and speed through the tech tree. Think about Civ6 pillaging districts for science beakers, but able to scale up.

It required skilled diplomacy by the player, to keep from being the victim of a war declaration. Multiple cities, detailed tracking of what they demanded, but players achieved a space/science victory on Deity close to 100 AD/CE. The ELG folks leveraged the knowledge about the tech tree in their quest.

Username checks out.

(Sorry, borrowed from another site, but so appropriate here that I couldn't pass it up.)

As it happens, just the other day I re-bought CivIII on Steam (it was about 80p!) and have been playing it again for the first time in about a decade. I’m not very good at it now, but it runs very nicely on my high-powered rig!

8uwfz5.jpg

Top Bottom