Study The Past - a series retrospective

The official civ account posted a video of Sid Meier talking about the famous Civ2 Eternal war! :)
(snip)

...who's gonna tell him that it was faked?

Or, at least, that the player purposefully extended the war instead of attempting to win it.

It'll also be interesting to see if they say anything about modding in regards to Civ 4, as I think it was the first designed around modability?
Modability was always a part of civ. Colonization was the first game I modded and all you had to do was to edit a textfile. Civ2 and civ3 had legendary mods way before civ4.

I don't think you can read much between the lines in these videos. I think they just make small videos to celebrate past civ games. Call it fan service or whatever.

I'm a fan but I guess it's fun to make the mods... I couldn’t make a mod but I did play.

Did Lycerius ever come out and admit that? Most of the convos I've seen about it here and on social media from a decade ago people just assumed he wasn't a very good player lol.

Can't find it now, so I guess I might be mistaken. I remember reading an article or something like that on it which asserted that it had been proven in some way that he hadn't taken opportunities to end the conflict despite knowing they were available. Or something like that.

Well, they got around the 4th of July quite nicely in a way that I probably should've considered: posting it on Wednesday this week instead. Guess that means Civ7's turn will be on the 25th?

Well, they got around the 4th of July quite nicely in a way that I probably should've considered: posting it on Wednesday this week instead. Guess that means Civ7's turn will be on the 25th?
Would keep them on track for August drop, would be very pleased if it was immediately in August.

Also things highlighted:

- BABA YETU, BECAUSE OF COURSE.
- 3D Leaders, Units, World, with higlight of trading between two nations (including tech trading).
- A rather "long" preview of Religious system being introduced.
- Great People being mentioned.

There was trading going on in the background, but they didn't highlight it. I think it was incidental to the Full 3D Visuals that they did highlight.

Updated list of notable mechanics that haven't been specifically highlighted in the retrospective series so far, even though they first appeared in Civ 1 through 4:
- Victory forms (domination, space race, etc.)
- Trade
- Goody Huts
- Barbarians
- Corruption
- Palace / Throne Room
- Happiness
- Unique civ traits, units or buildings [edit: I may be premature listing this, as it could be considered a Civ 5 thing]
- Civics
- Spies / Diplomats / Espionage
- Modding support

Last edited:
The treatment of 3 shows a goodie hut, if I'm not mistaken.

Cuz I thought to myself, "go spring that sucker!"

Yes, some of the things I listed have appeared in the videos (including modding, since a lot of the gameplay shown was mods!). I'm just noting things that didn't get a specific call out in the retrospectives.

Even at that, the Civ 1 video highlighted "Gameplay mechanics", so anything from Civ 1 could be considered to fit under that heading. Only the Tech Tree and Leaders got special notice. From which I'm willing to bravely predict that Civ 7, too, will feature Leaders and a Tech Tree. :)

There was trading going on in the background, but they didn't highlight it. I think it was incidental to the Full 3D Visuals that they did highlight.

Updated list of notable mechanics that haven't been specifically highlighted in the retrospective series so far, even though they first appeared in Civ 1 through 4:
- Victory forms (domination, space race, etc.)
- Trade
- Goody Huts
- Barbarians
- Corruption
- Palace / Throne Room
- Happiness
- Unique civ traits, units or buildings
- Civics
- Spies / Diplomats / Espionage
- Modding support
Correction: Unique Civ Traits don't appear until Civilization 5.

However, units (Civ 3) and buildings (Civ4 with expansion packs) did make prior appearance.

- Unique civ traits, units or buildings [edit: I may be premature listing this, as it could be considered a Civ 5 thing]

They had a gradual introduction.

Civ 2: Nothing.
[I didn't play Civ 3]
Civ 4: Unique units and buildings. Leaders had traits drawn from a shared pool.
Civ 5: Unique leader trait introduced. Could be argued to be a civ trait, as every civ in 5 had exactly 1 leader.
Civ 6: Unique civ trait introduced. Also, traits generally became more complex, and unique leader traits could include a second unique unit.

They had a gradual introduction.

Civ 2: Nothing.
[I didn't play Civ 3]
Civ 4: Unique units and buildings. Leaders had traits drawn from a shared pool.
Civ 5: Unique leader trait introduced. Could be argued to be a civ trait, as every civ in 5 had exactly 1 leader.
Civ 6: Unique civ trait introduced. Also, traits generally became more complex, and unique leader traits could include a second unique unit.
Civ 3: Introduced unique Units, as well as "Strengths", which were small bonuses in pairs, each Civ had 2 of these.
Civ 4: Kept this, with unique units, but either the first or the second expansion pack introduced "Unique Buildings".
Civ 5: Kept both, while also introducing unique improvements (I want to say Inca had the first unique Improvement, the Terrace Farm), however, Civ 5 also introduced Unique Civilization/Leader traits.
Civ 6: Mostly kept them all, except they made it so each civilizaiton had atleast 1 of each (building, infrastructure), while also introducing Unique Districts (a feature of the game to begin with), they also introduced a split between a Leader and Civilization traits, which was handy with Gorgo and Pericles, but it was mostly just double the traits for the rest since most nations remained with only a singular leader to play with.

Not sure how much thought was put into these videos and consequently how much we should be reading into them... but nice that they are doing a retrospective at least.

Top Bottom