Subdued Animals in C2C discussions

From 'Enemy At The Gates' by William Craig:

"Finally the German High Command made a move to cover its (6th Army's) flanks. The 48th Panzer Corps, stationed more than 50 miles southwest of the ominous Russian bridgeheads at Kletskaya and Serafimovich on the Don, received priority orders to move up to the threatened sector.

Led by Lt. Gen. Ferdinand Heim, a close friend and former aide to Paulus, the 48th clanked onto the roads and headed northeast. But only a few miles after starting out, the column ground to a halt when several tanks caught fire. In others, motors kept misfiring and finally refused to run at all. Harried mechanics swarmed over the machines and quickly found the answer. During the weeks of inactivity behind the lines, field mice had nested inside the vehicles and eaten away the insulation covering the electrical systems. Days behind schedule, the 48th Corps finally limped into its new quarters. It was almost totally crippled. Out of one hundred four tanks in the 22nd Panzer Division, only 42 were ready for combat."

Here are the rest of the animals that still need to be added.

I would like to convert more, but with DH extra steps I think I might as well go back to the old method of converting the models and then have DH do the rest of the steps.

In fact I think it might be better if if I made it as generic as possible, yet still testing the graphics needed. I will have to see how I can do that. :crazyeye:

I went to do the scorpions but they do not have any button art.

Pity we don't have the Northern hemisphere equivalent of the penguin ie the Awk.

@DH

I noticed many of the Myths don't use the icon/buttons I provided you before. There are a lot you could use such as Sea Otter, Spider, etc.

If I find more I will post them. In the meantime here is a link to the old totems.

Attachments

• totems.jpg
    totems.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 398
@DH

Here are some new Myth icon/buttons.

1. Anubis and Bast are new for Egyptian Myths.

2. The new Dugong can replace the old.

3. The Komodo Dragon could replace the old while the old could be just for general Reptile myths or goannas.

4. The Leopard is fo the Leopard, while the original is for Snow Leopards.

5. The new Penguin could replace the old.

Enjoy! :goodjob:

Attachments

• totems2.jpg
    totems2.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 177
The steps in the template actually put a commented out line in that links to these but since there is not one for every animal I did not add a step to check for its existence and use.

I was going to do a review of all the buttons once I got all the animals done.

Ok im trying to do something with these buttons and im little confused. We have these buildings:
Myths
Myth Effects
Songs
Stories
Stories Effect
Story
Tales

Hard to say but we have hundrets of them and I presume its not the end.
Anyway before adding buttons maybe better will be rename some of these buidlings. For example we have some buildings named in this way "Myth - [animal_name]" and other "Myth of the [animal_name]". Maybe will be better if we stick to one name. Eventualy we can use different style for Myth of the elements and land (fire, water, etc.).

All of these changes should include all type of buildings (stories, myths, songs, tales).
I can rename them but I need in which way.

Ok im trying to do something with these buttons and im little confused. We have these buildings:
Myths
Myth Effects
Songs
Stories
Stories Effect
Story
Tales

Hard to say but we have hundrets of them and I presume its not the end.
Anyway before adding buttons maybe better will be rename some of these buidlings. For example we have some buildings named in this way "Myth - [animal_name]" and other "Myth of the [animal_name]". Maybe will be better if we stick to one name. Eventualy we can use different style for Myth of the elements and land (fire, water, etc.).

All of these changes should include all type of buildings (stories, myths, songs, tales).
I can rename them but I need in which way.

Given that I am in the middle of doing exactly this as part of my review of the animals, I would prefer you not to touch anything. I am converting all "Song of x" to "Myth Effect - x" and the text layout for all myths for example. The way these interact is also changing slightly.

The other things I am trying to do include making the cultural and combat building missions better and more correct for the animal group. It is OK for Tales and Tapirs but that is as far as I have gotten with that.

Then there is making sure that the maximum yield from butchering makes sense. Currently some animals the size of small cats are giving more than animals the size of lions!

Plus trying to make some of the missions and capture stuff match the tech tree better. For example getting the tech "Trap Making" should improve the chances of capturing small and smaller animals.

In the end there will be
Myth - x a pseudo national wonder that gives a free building Myth Effect -. The "Myth Effect -x" building will do nothing except make the Myth building a pseudo national wonder, so I can probably make it graphical only to remove it from the pedia indices. This does not stop you from getting to the page for the building btw.

Story - x which provides a small amount of education. Upgrades to "Stories Effect - x" which is identical to it.

Stories - x a pseudo national wonder that provides a free "Stories Effect - x" to all cities. The free building makes it a pseudo national wonder.

Doing the Story/Stories this way was the only way I could come up with to get the AI to use them correctly.

Sea Creatures are different due to the fact that capturing them is not likely before Industralisation but we still want to get the Myths as early as possible. Which is why we have two types of captured unit Tales of x and Subdued x for sea creatures.​

All those pseudo-national-wonders add a huge amount of uneccessary buildings to the game. If people complain about not being able to build myths outside the capital, couldn't we just have a pseudo nationtal wonder "Storytellers Archieve" or something that is a prereq for ALL myths?

Also, why do you have stories with no effect except +1 Education and -1 Education at the Education tech? Why not just obsolete them?

Ok DH, ill leave it to you. Just tell me when you need my help witho something simple XML work or graphics one, ok?

All those pseudo-national-wonders add a huge amount of uneccessary buildings to the game. If people complain about not being able to build myths outside the capital, couldn't we just have a pseudo nationtal wonder "Storytellers Archieve" or something that is a prereq for ALL myths?

Also, why do you have stories with no effect except +1 Education and -1 Education at the Education tech? Why not just obsolete them?

The capital requirement is one that is going.

The Myths have to be pseudo national wonders because some of them reduce the cost of other buildings. Having them available in every city will make it possible to build some world wonders for free.

Obsoleting them (Myths) at education will mean that you wont get tamed animals from the Biodome (I forgot to restrict the ones you get to those stories/myths you built, it is on my list) nor will you be able to build the Paleolithic park and some other wonders.

Yes I could obsolete the story/stories/stories effect at education. Originally I intended to obsolete the Myth buildings but that reduction in building cost makes that not possible.

Why would animals you get from an advanced building like the biodome (or even trainers) be based (i.e. limited to) on prehistoric myths?

If you'd have another pseudo national wonder as prereq for all myths, it basically works as the palace req, but you can choose in which city you want to have all your myths (but only ONE city!)

Besides, as I stated earlier, there is a tag for buildings that reduce the costs of another building (or more then 1) ONLY in the city were the building IS.
That means, if you have Myth A reduce Wonder B's cost by 20% and you have Myth A in 5 cities but not in your 6. one, then the 6. city would still need 100% of the :hammers: for the wonder while all other 5 cities would need 80%. That really is not the problem.

Why would animals you get from an advanced building like the biodome (or even trainers) be based (i.e. limited to) on prehistoric myths?

I figure it means that animal is exposed (widely) to that civilization which comes along with the assumption that the civilization has access to further capture specimens and so on without necessarily needing player involvement in doing so for some purposes (such as housing them in zoos etc...)

I've long wondered though if perhaps you're right, that we should not only have myths but also another line like the herd buildings (which could be absorbed into that line) that represents the civilization keeping a survivable amount of those animals in captivity.

Top Bottom