Succession Game for Newbies

Wahoo :D Nice job Othneil that was a pretty fun game :) to bad we didnt get to kill the inca's :(

@ Overseer- When are you going to start your next SG This one was Fun :D maybe a peacefull route this time would calm my warmonger blood & get the building blood going ;)

I'm not sure I'll have time for another go at an SG, but possibly... If so, I don't mind the ideas being kicked around so far, but I'll have to think about it. I'm almost interested in doing a 20k SG. That's crazy though, simply crazy... . I've never heard of one being done before, although I'm positive someone must have tried.

I've thought about 20k myself, but at the higher levels it might be nearly impossible. The only way might be to wipe out or sabotage all other opponents, using a fast early unit to harass and pillage, followed by a quality defensive unit to guard their capitals (keep their workers bottled up). It'd be do-able with a scientific/expansionist or a good fast UU to really pillage all enemies. Also would work best on a small or tiny pangaea with domination disabled. It would probably be a challenge no matter what, with the advantages the AI's get from Emperor on up. But I think the next one might be fun too, trying to launch a spanish spaceship (SSS Christopher Columbus?) by 1492 AD if possible. Could be a real test of research and savvy tech-trading, and development of infrastructure. Any comments on either idea, just give us a holler. BTW, thanks Aabraxan!

Naw, 20K is totally doable. I recently played one on Emperor, which was easy. I'm sure we could do one on any difficulty up to DG, it might just take longer to win. We could do Deity too, but I don't think there is a team consensus to move up that far yet. ;)

I called it crazy because it might be just that...crazy boring for a SG. :) 20k games can be exciting with needing to carefully plan wonder builds in multiple cities to stop wonder-cascades and with good tech trading to make sure we always have a wonder to build. It doesn't generally involve much conquest unless we did the shameless, kinda rip-off technique of killing everyone and then building all the wonders because there are no challengers. That only works at low difficulty, anyway.

An easy way to play 20k would be on a 80% water Archipelago map. Make it standard-sized just to have a few trading partners, but with that much water, the AI won't find each other fast at all. The key to 20k is to sloooow dooown the tech pace. We'd just have to spam curraghs to get contacts. In that case, playing someone like the Byz (scientific and seafaring) is excellent, and almost overpowered. ;)

Regardless of VC, if I play in the next SG ;), I'd want to play at least at Emeperor difficulty, if not DG. Trust me, we can do it. :)

hmm I think it would be even HARDER if we didnt have a science civ OR a Religios, but after all its only my 2nd SG Game :lol:

Edit: I would rather Launch a Spaceship right now ;) I would like to play contenents or Pangea making our Seafaring Trait less powerfull & not be destroying coastlines with Fire & Dromons :lol:

BTW- I never played Emperor much ;) so I dont know the Happy/Sad people rate :(

I would really like going for the 20k culture. I think that if we plan it right we can expland soon enough that we can shut down the other AI's from getting to big of an empire so they have to stay on their main cities and can't build temples or libraries for culture.

Edit: I'm okay though with the space race though so it doesn't really matter to me. I just want to play my first SG.

I think I'm game to play another SG...

Here are settings that sound good to me and hopefully seem to be a general consensus:

Civ: Spanish
VC: Space
Difficulty: Emperor :)

Map Settings:
Size: Standard
Landmass: Continents OR Pangea
Water Ratio: 70%
Humidity: Wet
Climate: Temperate
Barbs: Restless ?
AI Opponents: Random? --> This would be my preference

Normal everything else except uncheck "Culturally-linked start locations".

I'd say keep all the normal VC enabled and normal aggression. Perhaps we could boost the AI aggression a notch for more fun... ;)

Goal:
Get the SS Columbus in the air by 1492 or earlier.

This goal will require us to aggressively tech-trade and pursue good research paths to get the techs in time. Should be fun!

NOTE: The Emperor difficulty, or even bumping it to DG, will actually help us get to our goal as the AI will research faster. We need the AI to be good researching pawns...err...partners if this will work. :pat:

If this is a general consensus, we should start a new thread on the SG forum. Would you like to coordinate that, :king: Overseer, or would you like me to do that?

BTW- I never played Emperor much ;) so I dont know the Happy/Sad people rate :(

I don't play Emperor much either ;), but IIRC it's just one content citizen to start and then everyone else appears grumpy. :gripe:

I can do Emperor, just have to have a decent starting spot. I will get on the starting a new thread thing sometime this evening, as I am supposed to be working right now:lol: I think we can do this one, and maybe do a 20k in our next SG. After all, we should try all forms of VC at least once to learn by playing. We could do Diplo as a Militaristic civ, 100k culture as an Industrious civ, Conquest as a Religious Civ, etc., etc. As we become less newbie-ish, we can always look for others who haven't done SG's yet and even take turns running the thing. I have dipped my toe in now, and I like the water!

Overseer, what did you think of the game and map settings I posted?

When you start the new thread, use the typical naming convention and call it something cool like "Overseer2: In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue, and then discovered Mars" or something way cooler than that. ;)

Also, are you planning on rolling starts again or do you want help? We all know that was kinda chaotic last time... :)

Roll them puppies! I am open to any good-looking start location, and I encourage all participants to roll some. If HyCrest shows up soon, we could pencil him in, I'm not sure about Kumquat. Tad is enthusiastic, and fire seems hot for the program...

I will play a space race as Spain :) I do not like emperor much but I am fine with it. If we are going for 1492 the map settings Othniel posted are good. I would rather play on a huge map on Monarch but the tech pace would slow considerably :( Oh god job guys ^_^

Yes, we will need a fast tech pace. I guarantee there will need to be some wars to give us adequate space for science farms. War won't be our focus, but it will probably be necessary before launch. We will need a sparkling reputation in order to trade reasonably. Happiness issues might also cause war, as we will need luxes and resources all the way. It won't quite be a peaceful builder game, though it might be a bit calmer.

Top Bottom