1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Synapce

Synapce Warlord

I don't know if this is feasible, but I would like to be able to select civs that you can currently only choose to play as when they spawn in-game in the normal selection screen. For instance, if I want to play as Italy I have to play another civ until they appear. I would like to be able to just choose them from the start.

I am guessing that the problem is that if Rome never collapsed then Italy would never spawn. This could be fixed by having a fixed time when they spawn if the player chooses to play as them but not when they are AI controlled.

2. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Yeah, I'd like to have that as well. And Rome being alive at that point is not the problem, there are solutions to deal with that (look at the Thai/Khmer). The problem is that (for example) Italy IS Rome, only with a new facade painted on, so to speak.

The problem with that is to execute an autoplay, the civ doesn't have to be alive yet, which Rome is (at least in one of the scenarios). To circumvent that, I'd have to completely rewrite the autoplay mode and I don't even think I can pull this off, it's easily the most complicated aspect of the mod.

I'll remedy this in the case of Italy by making them a proper civ, completely independent of Rome (in terms of the framework, not its spawning conditions). Other respawns can't (often by their very nature, due to the randomized factor) get the same treatment, though.

3. Kalina

Kalina Just lurking...

Any chance for multiplayer (hotseat) version, or is it just too much work ?

4. Leoreth

Can't say anything about that, because I have no idea how RFC MP works and how much it differs from the base mod.

5. HurriCline

HurriCline Chieftain

I'm not sure if this has been proposed yet or if you have other projects for Africa, but if you don't I think that the Partition of Africa is a solution. It could possibly make Africa as dynamic as Europe.

Here is a Wikipedia article on it for those who are not familiar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramble_for_Africa

Here are some of the basics I propose:

- It can be triggered in 1884 or 85 (what ever turn is closest) by the Berlin Conference, which is where Africa was partitioned by the European empires. It can be an event similar to Reformation or Colonial event that the Dutch and Co. have or it can be like an actual congress that is in the game where the civs choose (I'm leaning towards the latter Colonial event).

^ Here is what Africa looked like prior to the First World War

- It could be like the Reformation religion flip, as in Independent cities flip to their imperial owners when the Conference is triggered or the respective times that they were annxed.

- Or it can be like the Colonial event, where each civ gets one or more armies that can conquer a city that reprsents a region. For that to be available there needs to be cities, however. Pre-spawned cities can be put into Africa
    (similar to Kiev and Frankfurt) to be conquered or flipped.

- The last option can be free settlers, units and soilders that spawn at the respective region locations, around a certain date.

The only problems I see with this plan are:

- Pre-existing civs like Egypt and Ethiopia that may or may not be vassalized

- Areas already controlled by a civ and possible wars between neighbors that pre-exsisted before the event.

- And my biggests concern...poor city location. China and India have recently gotten a make-over and I think Africa is due for one (mostly West and Central Africa.). There should be worthwhile areas to control in Africa, not like the resource poor Angola or German Cameroon that is overrun by jungle.

The "Scramble" was finished in around 30 years, a small and mangable timefrime. If you can find before and after maps you should, its rather amazing how quickly Africa was overran. This could really be something that would make that typically bare landmass very colorful, unique and valuable.

6. Synapce

Synapce Warlord

tbh I prefer it when different civs colonise Africa who are historically inaccurate

7. HurriCline

HurriCline Chieftain

Why is that?

8. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

I personally don't want a game to be too deterministic. I mean, I prefer seeing British South Africa one game, perhaps Deutsch Sud Afrika the next, and Ethiopia having hegemony over all of Africa after that.

9. HurriCline

HurriCline Chieftain

I understand where your comming from there. There's alot of possibilities to be had, like the Americas. My main problem is seeing Africa somewhat bare, especially when the 21st century rolls around and there's sometime no civs present in all of the southern hemisphere of Africa. Just the usual civs in the Mali, Egyptians and the French/Spanish North Africian dynamic (which I like) and the occasional British, Dutch, Portuguese city here and there. I would welcome a little more incentive for the Europeans to settle in Africa.

10. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Euro civs already do a great job at Africa-colonizing (save, perhaps, Mali, which really should collapse). The same can't be said for Asia, hence the trading companies. So I don't feel this is necessary.

11. Leoreth

Plus, things like the Berlin conference is exactly what the congress system is for.

I agree about Mali collapsing.

12. Synapce

Synapce Warlord

I think if there was a greater incentive to colonise Africa it would be better, because there would be a sort of scramble for Africa which is good, but I don't think that giving certain civilisations and advantage would be very fair.

13. Leoreth

The parts that are free and worthwhile like South Africa usually get settled through the course of the game, so most of the problem comes from jungle or Mali blocking things.

14. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I think the Portuguese should start 1S of their current spot and the wine moved 1N. When Spain spawns Santiago should already exist 3N of the new Lisboa spot, it should have Catholicism, a church, a cathedral and a monastery, if possible the cathedral should give several gold to represent the pilgrimages

15. AOS9001

AOS9001 Slightly over 9000.

What about if the Spanish build Cadiz? In any case, I guess I'll go try this out, see how it goes.

16. civ_king

When I'm going to play Portugal I always play ahead as Spain and build Santiago and Lisboa how I described because they work together harmoniously, also when Portugal builds Lisboa it should get a cathedral because they got it around when they spawn in game and should help with culture.

Continuing on improving the Portuguese I think Ponta Delgada should get a sugar and both it and Lisboa should be able to get the trading company. Also Ponta Delgada should be named Vila Franca do Campo until 1522

17. Leoreth

No special treatment for cities only because they happen to be pilgrimage sites IRL. But I do plan to rearrange Iberia in 1.9 a little, don't know if this means Lisboa will move.

18. civ_king

Actually the reason Santiago should be there is because it allows a convenient way of making sure Spain gets a chance at Catholicism, also it's a decent city spot

19. Leoreth

Sure.

20. christos200

christos200 Never tell me the odds

Can you add a greek respaw at 1821?

The player will start with no citys but only units. All no city will flip and their will be no settlers. The first UHV will be about taking over the greek citys.

The UHV could be:

1) Take over all of greece by 1830

2) Control minor asia by 1922

3) Have 800 culture by 1974