Suggestions and Requests

Why would you need to destroy an improvement instead of replacing it?

Could be for immediate terrain defense bonus, or to cancel a million dollar trade deal.
Improvements removing a tile's defense bonus is a stupid feature and should never have been implemented in the first place, and I don't think we should actively help people trying to exploit the game respectively.

Holy Rome needs a greater inclination to convert to Protestantism. I've tried several games and they stay Catholic more often than not.
Spoiler Protestantism founded in Frankfurt but only England and Vikings converted :
Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG

Human France starts with too many military units I think. After training 6 trebuchets they can conquer every European civilization. Don't know if that's the gameplay you encourage.

True, will look into it.

China shouldn't have penalty in acquiring the silk road company. They should enjoy every silk road bonus from Dunhuang to Kashgar. Those places are just desolate nowheres on the current map, and there is little reason to occupy them -- no food, no production, no commerce, high maintenance and abundant barbarians. There should be some point in trying to control those places as China in game, which Han and Tang China tried to do in their prime.

Last edited:
True, I'll instead only apply the penalty to the region of China.

Holy Rome needs a greater inclination to convert to Protestantism. I've tried several games and they stay Catholic more often than not.
Spoiler Protestantism founded in Frankfurt but only England and Vikings converted :

They stayed Catholic in real life. What's your point?

Holy Rome is the most volatile civ regarding the reformation. They are slightly more prone to Catholicism but can go protestant more often than other historically Catholic civs, reflecting that it's religious status was fought over during the religious wars of the 16th and 17th century. This also means that they are most likely to choose tolerate which means Catholic state religion but protestant presence in its cities, which is the most historical outcome imo.

Holy Rome is the most volatile civ regarding the reformation. They are slightly more prone to Catholicism but can go protestant more often than other historically Catholic civs, reflecting that it's religious status was fought over during the religious wars of the 16th and 17th century. This also means that they are most likely to choose tolerate which means Catholic state religion but protestant presence in its cities, which is the most historical outcome imo.
It make sense in that way. But it is also reasonable to expect Holy Rome to join the war, either as a reformist or its counter.

They stayed Catholic in real life. What's your point?
In real life Holy Rome was not a sovereign state, was it? The northern part of it mostly turned Protestant. My point, game-wise was that for example there's no related Catholic wonders for Holy Rome, so going Protestant isn't too bad for them. Additionally, if Holy Rome stayed Catholic in game, then the Old World and New would be dominated by Catholicism (England and Vikings suck in game militarily), making Congo UHV 1 too hard if not impossible(I guess this was my initial point).

Perhaps Prussia should spawn earlier (in 1618?) to represent the German Protestants. Would represent the history of Central Europe a bit better than Protestant Austria/secular Prussia anyway

Make the Kalhu copper appear only after 844 BC? I tried 8 Persia regent/normal starts, and 7 times the Babylonians settled Kalhu on top of the copper, and all 8 times they have spearmen ready. This makes the Persian conquest basically impossible.

So I have finally grit my teeth and played to late industrial era. Unhealthiness is simply ridiculous with coal plant often its 12 -18:yuck: with no possibility to counter it. I mean I played as huge India to max :health: and even with 40:health: in cities I still had -11:food: loss due to :yuck:. I shudder to think what civs without access to that much :health: resources fare. Even limiting :yuck: to two per power building would improve situation a bit.
Secondly inflation starts to get stupidly large in later game, so much that most of my income goes straight to servicing it. Perhaps some national wonder to limit inflation? National Bank for example -X% inflation when build.

So I have finally grit my teeth and played to late industrial era. Unhealthiness is simply ridiculous with coal plant often its 12 -18:yuck: with no possibility to counter it. I mean I played as huge India to max :health: and even with 40:health: in cities I still had -11:food: loss due to :yuck:. I shudder to think what civs without access to that much :health: resources fare. Even limiting :yuck: to two per power building would improve situation a bit.

As of yet I've only played Russia past the industrial era so take this with a grain of salt, but I quite enjoyed the steepness of unhealthiness. Russia of course has forests to counter that but that means you have to limit your chopping. But I like that it sort of forces you to not build production buildings in growth cities unless absolutely necessary. Science lab requiring power might be a compelling reason but ever forge will have to be a conscious decision.

Your possibility to counter unhealth is not to build buildings that create it, including by consuming power.

But then what is the point of including such buildings? You build them to increase production, but gain unhealth and lose food, and thus citizens, and so you end up with less production. It might still be more than what you started with in the end, but it doesn't seem like a proper trade-off?

That would be true if your sources of energy and health always remained the same.

Top Bottom