Suggestions and Requests

Two suggestions for the map:
Move the fish near Bueno Aires so that only Montevideo can reach it.
Add pearls near Dubai/Muscat to make the area usefull before oil.

Zoroastrianism can still disappear from cities despite being state religion. This should never happen, all other religions should go before yours state one.
This is also good moment to say that I hate this kind of mechanics, it make you waste hammers and playing religion roulette is frustrating.

Is this a good time to mention that religion, especially the mechanics of spreading it, is better implemented in Civ5 than 4?

Couple of things:
1. Started a game as Persia, and the turn after the flip, 3 barb horsemen spawned in the middle of my core area (on the camel). Needless to say, they easily defeated the two archers I had in Balkh and captured it, which was pretty annoying. Is this intentional?

2. Start Greece off with a workboat. Athens is pretty useless without it, so it's usually first on everyones queue anyway.

My advice to your problem 1 is to use your war elephant to help defend the first 3 horsemen. Then connect the iron as fast as possible and upgrade any flipped militia to immortals.

Another random suggestion: I just would like to quote @Fresol's post again in the OMG, What Happened? thread, and my reply here as a suggestion :)

AI usually have caravels quite early, they just don't send them to Aztec and Incan territories right away. I wonder if new world conqueror events should have other triggers.

I was thinking about modifying the conqueror event trigger. I mean, the game would still note the first Old World civ to contact each New World civ, however it should not spawn conquerors right away--that should only happen once the same Old World civ discovers Firearms and Exploration (note: Firearms, because guns played a big role in the colonization.)

Also, I was thinking of having caravels require Exploration instead of Cartography, and having Exploration require Firearms. Not sure though if it would seem too stringent or a bit off. What do you think, guys?

Two unrelated suggestions I came up with:

1.: Changing Civics could give players a free option of changing capitals. Look at the Bolsheviks moving the Russian capital from Petrograd to Moscow in 1918 or the Meiji Restoration moving the emperor's seat to Tokyo for example.

2.: We might be getting into politically controversial territory here, but perhaps religions and their shrines should be more diverse in their effects? For example the Islamic Shrine could have twice the usual amount of gold per faithful city to represent the importance of pilgrimage to and encourage its owner even more to spread the One True Faith to as many cities as possible. The Confucian Shrine meanwhile could have some effect completely independent of the number of followers it has in cities outside the owner's territory, something related to upkeep or stability perhaps?

Is there a separate thread for suggestions to stability maps? I couldn't find one.

My advice to your problem 1 is to use your war elephant to help defend the first 3 horsemen. Then connect the iron as fast as possible and upgrade any flipped militia to immortals.

Reloaded, and took your advice. Wasn't any more problems. But the point I was making was that barb spawns in core shouldn't be allowed till ten turns after the civ has spawned.

No thread on that yet.

Of course, you don't need to ask permission to create threads about any subject related to DoC.

Obsolete the Great Library with Theology instead of Paper? Arabia struggles to produce a GP that is not a great scientist.

The third Roman UHV (first to bulb Scholarship, Politics, Architecture, and a couple others) is too luck-based IMO. Once you engineering and currency (for the forum), you have the choice to go either towards Architecture via Aesthetics or Politics via Law and Philosophy. But whichever branch you take, theres a good chance some other civ will go down the other route and beat you to a tech there. If most civs go towards Architecture and you do too, you'll probably beat them to it. But if you go the other way, you stand no chance. The condition could be changed to "XYZ techs by a certain date", which also seems more appropriate historically since the Romans weren't particularly innovative (wasn't a lot of their culture and systems just borrowed from Greece?)

Couple more minor quips regarding Rome:

1. Give the Colosseum +2 happiness and let it provide a free amphitheatre. The former because it was a huge source of entertainment and will help Rome grow larger in size to more accurately parallel history (Rome was the largest city in the world and had circa 1m residents in the early AD's), and the latter because makes sense (feels weird making a small amphitheatre when I have the colosseum :p) and is required for the UHV. If you want to nerf its other bonuses you could reduce the culture.

2. Generalship isn't on the tech path to the required UHV techs, so players are disincentivized from researching it. Which is not nice, as Roma (and Carthage) had some of the greatest generals in history, and would help Rome stability wise because of the conquest civic. I propose either letting Rome start with generalship, or have an event whereby Rome and Carthage both get Generalship when war breaks out between them.

I created a new pull request with many new Great People suggestions. A few of them, especially for Polynesia, were taken from previous GP threads. You can see the approximately complete list of changes here.

Thank you, I will review it as soon as I find the time.

Again random suggestions:

There should be a notification when cities declare independency from civs you have contact with(expect during full collapse).
You don't necessary see all of them in the map, but techically you could check every turn which cities each civ possess and thus get this information. The message could be "City A, City B and City C have become independent from Empire X"

Replace extra coastal tiles near Norway with ocean tiles, there is no need for Norwegian cities grow very big.
By extra I mean every tile, which are not connected to land.

Murmansk tile should be historical to Russia.
There should be more ice in the artic ocean to prevent russian access to atlantic until murmansk is founded.

Change Byzantium's UP so it can bribe all enemy units instead of just barbarians.
By 1000 AD, barbarians are pretty much fading away, and we need to collect 5000 gold.

New great statesman ability: Mend Relationship with another civilization. Effect: perform at the civ's capital, erase all negative historic attitude modifiers, which include bad past events, DOW, DOW on friends, refusal to requests etc..

Top Bottom