1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

1. Give the national theater a few artist slots. It's very one dimensional as of now.
    2. Would it be possible to give Roman Roads +2 culture in the modern era onward, to represent tourism in Italy (or Roman sites in general). Would be kinda cool.
    3. A nice idea for a semi-random event: If Italy is alive and Judaism spreads to either Florence or Venice (provided it is under their control of course) give them either a large boost towards Finance. To represent how modern banking arose in the towns of Northern Italy.

2. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

On controlling AI city spam, I suggest having an update of SettlerMaps.py, or even modify the settlervalue mechanism a bit to allow better AI city placement:

This suggestion comes from the observation that modifying settlervalue can somewhat regulate AI city placement. Let unwanted core/historical city spots have a settlervalue of 3/90(3 for core tiles gives better control, but with reborn core shift this can sometimes cause problems), and make designated city spots have a settlervalue of 700 (or even higher with an WB update).

Here's the result of some of my experiments:
    Spoiler Experiment on China :
    Civ4ScreenShot0053.JPG

I modified the settlervalues of China, and as you can see, Shanghai, Luoyang, Haojing are all designated cities that are otherwise uncommon. Zhongdu and Shenyang are also designated cities, and Shengyang being the Taoist holy city suggests that China founded it instead of conquered it from the barbarians. On the top left you can also see the ruins of Jiayuguan, another designated city. The only city the AI is missing is Fuzhou on the hill stone in southeast China.

Spoiler Experiment on Indonesia :
    Civ4ScreenShot0054.JPG

*Don't mind the "70" typo here.* Changing the settlervalues do not necessarily control the AI city placement, but it works much better than not doing anything.

Spoiler Moors unchanged with ugly city placement :
    Civ4ScreenShot0055.JPG

Unchanged Moors, for comparison.

Comments are welcome.

1SDAN likes this.
  3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Have you turned off the automated Chinese city founding? In general though high settler value does not force city founding if other factors (like distance and shared tiles) preclude it. There are a bunch of factors that decide if a spot is even eligible for a city before the weights from AI preferences including settler value even factor into the decision. That is usually the more relevant problem especially for civs where close cities are desirable for historical immersion. I have tried your suggested approach many times before. Additionally, it is also important not to make things too deterministic.

4. Fresol

Many factors influence the AI decision for city founding, this I know. It's just that they choose so poorly(Ethiopia, China, Indonesia are some examples of random settlement, and Moors loves founding city on the wheat) that either I WB for them or stop them from the beginning.

1SDAN likes this.
  5. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

Maybe the AI knows we are not going to invade them if they discourage us like that, I'm always repelled by ugly city placement since razing has huge penalties too

Cosmos1985, J422, ales_ and 3 others like this.
  6. Fresol

Adding a land bridge connecting Europe and Scandinavia significantly improves Vikings early game performance.
    Spoiler NO LAND BRIDGE :
    Civ4ScreenShot0056.JPG

Spoiler WITH LAND BRIDGE :
    Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG

7. h0spitall3rz

h0spitall3rz Grand Vizier of Your Mind

Some civic stability suggestions:
    • Isolationism + Meritocracy: +3 (or +5)
      • To incentivize the East Asian civs to adopt this, especially if the AI is aware of civic stability effects. I notice that Korea and Japan don't really adopt this since their leaders do not have Isolationism as favorite civics.
    • Isolationism after the Renaissance Era: -3 per era after Renaissance
      • To force civs to reopen its borders to foreign trade again. However, I don't think the Industrial Era is an accurate condition; we should think of something better.
      • AI China is highly unlikely to switch out of Isolationism unless Mao becomes the leader. This should mean that China should also be more likely to switch out of Despotism/Monarchy, at least after the discovery of a tech enabling a late-game civic (Representation? Journalism?).
    • Isolationism + Confucianism: +3 (or +2)
      • Same as with Meritocracy. Confucian states were more likely to remain staunchly isolationist as they viewed Western civilizations as barbarians, and tended to cling tightly to their conservative Confucian ideologies.

1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

How many test games did you run?

9. Fresol

For this purpose? Just two, and they are in the pictures. The workers start at Copenhagen so I doubt there'll be any variations here, they either build the around-Baltic road or cross the land bridge and build improvements in Scandinavia.

Of course, the catch is when Vikings lose to Holy Rome in war, their cities in Scandinavia will fall.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'm just not sure that's a significant enough sample size.

11. Fresol

After Vikings' inevitable collapse their cities become Spanish or Holy Roman. So there's that.

12. Caesar Augustus

Caesar Augustus Prince

How many times do you think tests like this should be run? Would a dozen Italy + a dozen America runs (to get a sense of both short and long-term consequences) be sufficient? Excessive? A good start?

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Depends on what trends end up showing up. But one data point is never enough. I usually run at least three.

1SDAN likes this.
  14. Steb

Steb King

Is it possible to modify the way the map works so that, given a configuration with two diagonally-adjacent land tiles and two diagonally-adjacent water tiles, both diagonals are traversable by their respective unit types? This would ideally be the case only where desired, and a strait should be visible to signify it. (Land tiles would be separated by a little bit of water, but land unit passage would still be allowed.)

I have a feeling the answer is "no". However, if it's not impossible but merely difficult, it could be worth trying. I can think of many cases where such a feature would be beneficial:
    - land passage between Denmark and Sweden without shutting off the Baltic Sea
    - open Black Sea even when Constantinople is not present (which happens sometimes), and even allowing two straits (Dardanelles and Bosphorus)
    - islands can be separated from the mainland without impeding land movement (Sicily, Newfoundland, Corsica, ...)
    - more realistic archipelagos (Japan, Philippines, New Zealand, ...)
    - The Suez and Panama canals could be implemented as projects that, once built, modify the map
    - possibly allow land passage at Gibraltar

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  15. Orbii

Orbii Warlord

RFC:Europe does this for the Danish straits and the Dardenelles (not the Bosphorus though, which always requires Constantinople), so it's certainly possible.

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I think it's possible, movement rules are entirely controlled by the DLL. But right now I don't know where it is implemented.

17. Darnokthemage

Darnokthemage Chieftain

Would giving a trading mission similar to great merchants to the viking Huscarls make sense? It would reflect that the vikings were traders too, not just warriors and pillagers.

18. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I don't want to add trading missions to units that you can simply build. It is essentially a conversion of production to gold, which either is worth it (endless money supply) or not (pointless).

19. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

I forgot Huscarls were not Great Generals. Giving trade missions to Great Generals would be cool.

20. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

For Vikings? Interesting.

1SDAN likes this.