Suggestions and Requests

Could Mali start with some archers or something? As it is you start with no counter whatsoever against barbarian Camel Archers, which can easily swat aside your starting Kelebolos.

1. The Great Canal wonder should require "no river" instead, as a city situated by a river would not need a huge canal. After the Great Canal is built, the city should get +2 health from supply of fresh water. The Great Canal should keep its old effects in addition.

2. Levee should not require a river. Many cities can benefit from this change.

Totally disagree. The Grand Canal wonder represents the commercial centers of Jiangsu (Hangzhou, Yangzhou, etc) that formed where the Grand Canal meets the Yangzi River

Totally disagree. The Grand Canal wonder represents the commercial centers of Jiangsu (Hangzhou, Yangzhou, etc) that formed where the Grand Canal meets the Yangzi River
The Grand Canal was built to promote the military, political and economical sovereignity of China. The majority of the project was done outside of Jiangsu, and benefits the capital city much more than the Jiangnan Region. I know people love capitalism and all that (huh), but don't think about everything in that way.

I thought collapsing to core was implemented? Whenever I collapse, I'm still defeated.

<s>On a second note, I find it difficult to manage the British Empire's expansion if you're trying to achieve a historical boundary. </s>

Last edited:
I pretty much just play this mod and RoM AND, and one of the features in AND that I like is the movement limit option. It puts a cap on how far a unit can go from a player's city until a certain tech. Things like roads, open borders agreements, and I think forts, extend the range. Would this feature work in DoC? It could be a way to make ahistorical exploration in the early game harder and it might provide incentive to build cities or forts in locations that were historically important as stopovers/trading posts, but which aren't really high priority in the game (I'm thinking mainly about Portuguese colonies as the example).

I'm not sure how AND did it, but I cannot see how to implement such a feature without making it quite performance heavy.

I was just thinking... for some civs it definitely makes sense to have just one starting plot (eg. Rome, France, England) but perhaps a few others could have alternate ones? I'm thinking of China, Persia, maybe the HRE, Poland or Spain (probably also a few others). It could allow for some variety and not always seeing the same cities because they're a civilization's starting spot. As I said, some cities definitely could always be present, but the capitals of different DoC cultures don't really have the same importance and sometimes they're just one of two or more capitals (hello, China).

Yeah, I could see having it less deterministic or also dynamic based on the game situation, like we recently discussed for the Canadian capital based on French and English power in the region.

so something i would like to see is more religious options. i love the idea of religion specific wonders and especially the christian split into ortho, cath, and pro. so possibly doing something similar with islam would be cool, like a shia/sunni split but considering, for historical purposes the only shia islam civ would be iran which might further hurt a civ thats not a major player, since their relations would take a hit. anyway. i also like an option to reject religions. for instance say if i capture a city with a different religion than my state one, i'd like an option to remove it. like how when babylon conquered jerusalem they sent the jews into exile. which then creates jewish refugees and nearby civs/cities would have the option allowing them to enter which would increase population and possibly spread judaism and maybe also increase unhappiness something like "we yearn to return to our homeland" and when that city than changes control an option is given to allow the refugees to return. like when persia conquered jerusalem. possibly even turning that population into slaves. or an option to persecute the "heathens" like how rome and nazi germany did. also say if a civ refuses refugees, cities following that religion may defy and accept them anyway and maybe if that civ is unstable that city might flip. yeah maybe having this option makes a inquisitor redundant, but those usually come so late anyway, plus an inquistor comes with all the benefits of not having a lowered pop and worse diplo relations and such. idk i've always just felt i was playing a religiously tolerant civ, especially early game, because of the passive spread of religion. its like nah man i've building the great library for 10 turns now, you jews aint gonna come in here and prevent me from that, like if i had the option i'd sell them into slavery, force them out, or kill them, i would take it. because thats what did happen, people were really bad to other people of differing religions. so i think something like this would further play into the whole religion specific wonders since it gives more control, like adding limitations should be balanced by adding options

anyway this is my first post ever here, and i've been playing this mod for well over a decade. so its probably about time i'd say hello to the community and individuals that has given so much to me and never asked for a thing, so thank you. and for that i'd also like to offer my assistance, i do have a little experience with programming, so learning python wont be much of a thing. i have looked at some guides on here, however some seem to be terribly dated. so if anyone more familiar with the forums could point me in the right direction, that would be most appreciated. also super excited about a new map, and i have complete faith it will be even better. i cant wait to try it out and i'll be sure to report any findings, but please dont feel that this is an invitation to rush or feel rushed, because i will patiently wait for as long as it takes, and if i learn a thing or two, perhaps help out

Fall From Heaven 2 has a civ-unique civic called Crusade which prevents its civ from engaging in diplomacy with civs it is at war with while it is running the civic. Perhaps this or something like being unable to make peace without a capitulation would make sense for Totalitarianism or Ideology?

anyway this is my first post ever here, and i've been playing this mod for well over a decade. so its probably about time i'd say hello to the community and individuals that has given so much to me and never asked for a thing, so thank you.
Well I did ask for coffee ... But seriously, welcome to the forum, it's always nice to hear from people who have stuck with the mod for such a long time.

and for that i'd also like to offer my assistance, i do have a little experience with programming, so learning python wont be much of a thing. i have looked at some guides on here, however some seem to be terribly dated. so if anyone more familiar with the forums could point me in the right direction, that would be most appreciated. also super excited about a new map, and i have complete faith it will be even better. i cant wait to try it out and i'll be sure to report any findings, but please dont feel that this is an invitation to rush or feel rushed, because i will patiently wait for as long as it takes, and if i learn a thing or two, perhaps help out
That's great to hear. I'd love to accept assistance on all fronts, however what that might be depends on your level of expertise. If you are not experienced enough it is often more effort for me to teach you how to do something than doing it myself, on the other hand there are lots of things to do that do not require much programming skill and that I don't have the time to take care of myself.

First among them is the new map, which you already mentioned. If you're aware of the new suggestion threads you can always contribute there. Please let me know (in the appropriate thread) if you need instructions on how to access development branches on git.

Another venue for contribution is foreign language translation, if you happen to speak any or are willing to help those who can to get their texts into the game. I should probably kick this lane of development off soon, somehow I lost track of it over the last years.

Other than that, it depends on your skillset, which is also why I don't know where to start pointing you to. Beyond programming languages it also simply takes some time to understand how Civ4 and the mod in particular is structured and how you need to go about making changes in a specific area. Do you have an interest in something particular or an idea about what to improve? It's always a good idea to make small changes you always wanted to make even if they won't necessarily be merged back into the main mod. Once you have some experience you can make some contributions via pull request. The most prolific contributors to the mod have usually gone this route.

Also @everyone else, is it maybe a good idea if I start a contributor wishlist thread (or something of the sort) where I can dump ideas for smaller features/fixes that I want to do but are simple enough to be done by someone else? This could enable some of you to help me with real problems and you could contribute without having to come up with stuff to do on your own, which I know is hard.

Separate post for your actual suggestion: I think what DoC needs is a "Sack City" option on city conquest that reduces population more severely and may remove some non-state religions (maybe even spawn refugees in nearby cities). Other than that I want to limit cheap ways to remove religions from your cities besides the persecutor unit.

Separate post for your actual suggestion: I think what DoC needs is a "Sack City" option on city conquest that reduces population more severely and may remove some non-state religions (maybe even spawn refugees in nearby cities). Other than that I want to limit cheap ways to remove religions from your cities besides the persecutor unit.

Adding to that, it would also be great if you there was a way to sack a city without actually taking it over or razing it.

Adding to that, it would also be great if you there was a way to sack a city without actually taking it over or razing it.

If this is added, it would be nice if the Viking UHV involves this.

Also @everyone else, is it maybe a good idea if I start a contributor wishlist thread (or something of the sort) where I can dump ideas for smaller features/fixes that I want to do but are simple enough to be done by someone else? This could enable some of you to help me with real problems and you could contribute without having to come up with stuff to do on your own, which I know is hard.

I think that is a good idea. It is nice if you can work on something small if you want to learn modding. I can image that big projects (like making a new civ) can discourage people to start modding. Small projects like this might encourage people to try modding.

Sometimes I am in the mood to work on the mod, but I don't have any idea what to work on. Having such a list would give me something to work on.

Last edited:
Give the Sacking a nice money boost and maybe make it become independent after you sack it?
I think it's possible to keep it for the original owner, and just have it go into unrest to remove the culture coverage.

Units created at Mil Academy losing the Leadership promotion when upgraded is disappointing...
Is there anyway this can be fixed?
Maybe units shouldnt lose exp when upgraded to a unit in the same era, at least?
Was trying a 1700AD Prussia yesterday and was highly disappointed because of this.

Also, a quick question: is the latest version considered as 1.16? The changelog txt file was nearly empty so I am confused.

Top Bottom