1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

about all these religion suggestions, I think History Rewritten does a a very good job with tenets and this mod can benefit from its mechanics. Though I see tenets system might be too ambitious for a more historical mod.

h0spitall3rz and Cacaso like this.
  2. montezuma1991

montezuma1991 Chieftain

since we do have spies and national intelligence agencies in the game...how about non-state-actors, aka your friendly neighbourhood terrorist/insurgent?

possible scenarios:
    -big terrorist attack (madrid train bombing/ sri lankan easter attacks/ wtc attacks) with options to react
    -find a terrorist leader (bin laden style)
    -fight an insurgency (barbarian units representing ISIS or IRA or sth)

could give you bonuses or malus' depending on defensive pacts or religion or whatnot.

3. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Either in 1.17 or for the big map:
    Could Japan get a 600AD/610AD spawn? This means we can do the 600AD start date as Japan without having to deal with the AI already having done everything. Changes would be Japan maybe gets an extra free building when they settle, or start with more culture in their capital, or their culture UHV1 requirement is slightly lower.

4. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Some suggestions for the Arabs:

* UHV1 is fine and fun to do.
    Basically done by House of Wisdom bulbing and trading with China/Korea.
    * UHV2 (conquer and hold). I would change this to: "Control or have a vassal control North Africa in 800AD and 1300AD, Spain in 1000AD and 1300AD, Persia in 900AD and 1300AD, Transoxiana in 1000AD and 1300AD, Balochistan in 1000AD and 1300AD.
    The main change is that you need to conquer North Africa and Spain earlier rather than rushing them in 1200AD, plus also requires you to conquer or settle Balochistan. To compensate for these harder goals:
    image3.png
    * Arabs spawn with 4 or even 8 extra (not sure, 4 is probably appropriate but maybe not enough) units (half ghazis, half mobile guards) in 600AD. Something like 4 in Mecca and 4 in Damascus.
    * Arabs spawn with 2 or 4 extra workers.
    * Arabs start with Theocracy.
    * Moors spawn is slightly changed, to one of these 3:
    1. Moors conditional spawn when Arabs are unstable after 700AD, and guaranteed to spawn after 800AD.
    2. Moors automatically spawn as a vassal when Arabs take a city in their core. (my preferred option)
    3. Moors start in ~450AD as a Christian kingdom in North Africa (representing the Berbers ruled by Rome who formed the Mauro-Roman Kingdom).
    * UHV3 (30% islam) is changed to "Convert 25 cities with your UHV".
    6 in your flip, 3 in Persia, 2 in Transoxiana, 5 in North Africa, 4 in Spain, 1 in Balochistan. Therefore another 4 (or so, depending on settles/razes/etc) which you could get by conquering Ethiopia, Anatolia, France, India or Central Asia, but can then release/vassal later on.

These changes would reflect the extent of the Arab caliphates, make the Arabs have a more ambitious and exciting goal (currently there's a lot of sitting around in the Arab UHV...) and make the Middle East just a bit more hectic.

5. urbestfriend

urbestfriend Chieftain

Hello,

I have lurked for a long time but have been playing since 1.11, I love this mod and I think it's fantastic.

I did want to say, would it be possible to turn off random events for new civilizations for their first X amount of turns? Nothing makes me restart or exit the game faster than starting a new game and having my first improvement or building get hurricaned or volcanoed. I think restricting random events for the start of the game until you can get a foothold would remove frustration and prevent starts being randomly boosted by extra gold or free improvements.

I'd also like to see the vikings be more aggressive, in my experience they have no interaction with anyone else the whole game until their inevitable collapse around 1500, they're one of the most unimportant civs in the game. They occasionally get into a phony war with russia but neither side has any success. I know the viking conquests typically occured before or right around when the europse civs spawn, which makes full conqueror events a bad solution but I wonder if they could get mini conqueror events against france spain and germany sometime after their spawn, not enough to conquer but enough to do some pillaging.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Good point. I'm pretty sure the base game disables random events for the first couple of turns, so it makes sense to adjust that rule to take your spawn turn into account.

Yes. I am currently working on implementing new rise and fall rules in the mid-term and I have some ideas that should push the Vikings more in that direction.

7. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Suggestion: Improve Musketeer bonus to something like +50% versus Arquebusier, or rather, something to basically make Musketeer success against Arquebusier about 90% on default.
    Why? I think it should be so that European civs are able to actually reliably kill Independent and Asian civs. The Musketeer should be that gap bridger, allowing the Europeans to reliably kill enemies. But currently both Musketeers and even Riflemen sometimes struggle against Arquebusiers in a walled, decent pop city, which means that both AI and player can sometimes fail to take cities in Southeast Asia and India. An analogous example is the Swordsmen vs Archer or even Heavy Swordsmen vs Archer dynamic. Conqueror civs will often spawn with Heavy Swordsmen who can quickly make mincemeat of archers and expand their empire, but I feel like the gunpowder colonisers are kind of missing a military advantage.

(Arguably they never had it IRL, but I think that's another discussion for another time)

8. LukeAtmey

LukeAtmey Chieftain

Not sure how much this has been discussed previously, but how do people feel about the idea of colonial powers receiving some bonuses for granting independence to their overseas colonies later on in the game? I know at least some people have voiced their opinion on how they dislike huge colonial empires in the 21st century as much as seeing these European civs reduced to powerless minnows (the two alternatives we currently have), and I think something along these lines could be a satisfying solution: Disincentivizing huge colonial empires in the late game while also not gimping some major nations. Only recently have I begun giving more thought for this, and though I have no specific, ready, thought-out solution, I decided to ask for opinions here.

ozqar likes this.
  9. h0spitall3rz

h0spitall3rz Grand Vizier of Your Mind

Increase maintenance for colonial cities upon entering the Digital Era? Or maybe additional unhappiness from colonial cities upon researching Civil Rights? Or both?

10. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Warlord

This would be dependent on the appropriate civs being in the mod, but there could be incentives to release colonies as vassals as per Britain's "responsible government" policy. Maybe through a combination of rising maintenance costs/ unhappiness and civics that make colonial vassals useful.

11. Force44

Force44 Prince

Request for a new building.

Greenhouse.

Apparently they have been around since roman times (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse)
    Cucumbers in Rome (16AD) and mandarin oranges in Korea (1438AD, first description of heated greenhouse)

And right now they are a major factor in dutch (Agricultural) economy.

At first I thought they would be a neat second unique building for the dutch (the glass houses of the Westland, I would not be surprised if they are already part of Merijns second UU/UB-mod, I could only find a spreadsheet with unique units in the forum though), but after doing some reading on Wikipedia I figured, why not for all civs?

Their effect could vary from giving some additional food or health (very mundane)
    to retaining some exotic goods after acces through trade for these goods has ceased (very exotic).

stillblackadder and Cacaso like this.
  12. Cacaso

Cacaso Chieftain

I think this is a great idea. If the planter mechanical is adopted, it could be the building needed to allow the construction of the planter unit (similar to the monastery for missionaries). It could also give + 1 / + 2 of food in addition to requiring a granary or aqueduct to be built.

Publicola likes this.
  13. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 King

I don't know if it's even possible to adjust this specifically, but in 3000 B.C. Marathon games Judaism spreads way too much in Europe and the Middle East even without the Temple of Solomon being built. If it's doable, could the spread rates for Judaism be lowered for Marathon speed?

1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  14. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

It's possible that Jewish spread does not scale properly with game speed, I have made a note to check this.

Cosmos1985 and 1SDAN like this.
  15. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Late-game marsh draining tech :D

phoenixfire7 likes this.
  16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

This is seriously inching into Venice and Koenigsberg territory for me

17. Zaddy

Zaddy Warlord

No no, there aren't marshes on the Venice tile right now, Leoreth.

(Seriously though it'd be really nice if it was a thing imo, but I don't suppose it's gonna happen)

18. Theotokos2

Theotokos2 Chieftain

Any plans adding the Kingdom of Israel and Judah and later in 1948 returns as the modern State of Isreal?

Also any plans adding the Assyrian and Hittite Empires too?

I'm a huge mesopotamian civ fan lol

Hickman888 likes this.
  19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

There will eventually be a time where additional civs can be added. If that is the case, Bronze Age Mesopotamia civs are very high on the priority list. It all depends on the new map being added, which opens more space for those kind of civs. I will probably also add more turns to the Ancient and Classical eras along the way, which helps as well.

20. Theotokos2

Theotokos2 Chieftain

Thanks for your reply, I love your mod so much there's so much care detail and attention in it, I think arguably the best mod on Civ 4. It is also surprisingly very stable unlike a lot of other bloated mods. Congratulations to you good sir!
    I fail getting the historical victories often but I don't even mind the mod is so good. What's the best way to manage stability playing e.g. Rome? It's a struggle conquering the required territory without collapsing.

Cosmos1985 likes this.