Suggestions and Requests

I think it would be cool if a democratic European civ that controlled almost all of mainland Europe could be called the European Federation or something similar. Is there a dynamic names thread for suggestions like these?

I think it would be cool if a democratic European civ that controlled almost all of mainland Europe could be called the European Federation or something similar. Is there a dynamic names thread for suggestions like these?

But does that make sense given that the only way for that to happen is a civ conquering the rest of the European civs? I can see your point, but given that we don't really have any in-game way of simulating anything like the EU, it seems like a somewhat arbitrary name.

But does that make sense given that the only way for that to happen is a civ conquering the rest of the European civs? I can see your point, but given that we don't really have any in-game way of simulating anything like the EU, it seems like a somewhat arbitrary name.
If we wish to play the game of semantics, the European Union is distinct from a European Federation. The latter would be a more concrete state and the "federation" label assuages any worries about misuse of the "union" term, which you correctly point out can't really be simulated in the game. As to whether it makes sense because one would have to conquer other European civs, I think the democracy civic would be sufficient to justify this name. And it would, of course, only be reasonable in modern eras.

The largest empires in Europe never actually started calling themselves European Something, and a modern equivalent doing so is maybe plausible but still speculative. OTOH some dynamic names are pretty alt-history-ish by necessity so that may be a fun easter egg.

The actual European Union would probably be better represented by either a new diplomatic option, or a wonder that takes advantage of existing ones. Maybe civs with open borders (or something more restrictive) with their capital on the same continent as yours?

The largest empires in Europe never actually started calling themselves European Something, and a modern equivalent doing so is maybe plausible but still speculative. OTOH some dynamic names are pretty alt-history-ish by necessity so that may be a fun easter egg.

The actual European Union would probably be better represented by either a new diplomatic option, or a wonder that takes advantage of existing ones. Maybe civs with open borders (or something more restrictive) with their capital on the same continent as yours?
I am talking about a European Federation, not European Union.

What is a European Federation referring to if not a construct similar to the EU? A sovereign European superstate of some kind is usually referred to as a federal European Union so it makes sense that people come to that conclusion.

What is a European Federation referring to if not a construct similar to the EU? A sovereign European superstate of some kind is usually referred to as a federal European Union so it makes sense that people come to that conclusion.

The European Federation refers to exactly what you described, a sovereign European state. A quick glance at Wikipedia offers this nomenclature for such an entity: United States of Europe (USE), Federal States of Europe (FSE), European State, European Superstate, European Federation and Federal Europe. I suppose I can see why people could read European Federation as federal European Union, but the adjective exacts the point: a federal European Union is not the European Union.

Edit: I should also note I'm not from Europe so I have no clue what the common parlance there is when it comes to debate about the European Union and its speculative federal extension, forgive me if I appear ignorant.

Last edited:
You present your position with a lot of confidence considering the last paragraph.

You present your position with a lot of confidence considering the last paragraph.

Yes. It seems certain to me that European Federation is distinct from European Union. As you said, a sovereign European superstate is called a federal European Union (i.e. European Federation?). It would necessarily not be the European Union. Am I missing something there?

Like I said in my first response though, this is just a game of semantics and I don't want to further bog your thread down in something its not made for – perhaps I can put my request this way: could there please be a cool name for a democratic European civ that controls much of Europe? I just want the flavor, argggg! :p

I feel the URV #3 for Buddhism should be adjusted; if you axe the Mayans, it is very doable (perhaps just have Cautious or Better relations with all Old World civs, though that would basically mean meet everyone before the Byzantines convert to Orthodox?), but as it stands it seems to essentially require you to sit in a small pocket of low population cities for 100 turns, then conquer all the civs that put an emphasis on religion diplomatically and/or wait for them to turn secular - the religious diplomatic penalty sort of kills all other strategies without an unrealistic amount of luck (with the Arabs, Spain, etc. collapsing by themselves).
Not sure what would be an ideal replacement, but perhaps "Convert X% of SE Asia (90+%) to Buddhism and X% of Asia (60%+) to Buddhism.

I know this isn't a development priority, and you have stuff to do, but just a thought.

Last edited:
I noticed that Sagrada Familia wonder doesn't have religion requirement in this mod. Since it's a church it should probably require Catholicism or any Christian religion.

Spoiler :
upload_2022-3-29_2-19-53.png

It feels rather unfair to me that I'm facing a pretty severe -10 stab penalty to something that is more or less out of my control. In my scenario, I've been taking almost all barb battles at >90% odds, but even with those odds, losses are inevitable with the quantity of barbs late antiquity era throws at you as Rome/Greece. It feels like even doing everything "right" is still going to result in you facing this stability penalty.

Basically every other stability penalty has some sort of reasonable counterplay or way of solving. This one essentially says "highroll on combat odds or lose stability".

I guess my question is, is this WAD? Is it something you're expected to be able to adapt to?

It feels rather unfair to me that ...

...Basically every other stability penalty has some sort of reasonable counterplay or way of solving. This one essentially says "highroll on combat odds or lose stability".

I guess my question is, is this WAD? Is it something you're expected to be able to adapt to?

Acronym Definition
WAD Wetting and Drying
WAD Without A Doubt
WAD Women and Development (various locations)
WAD WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute) Acronym Dictionary
WAD World Association of Detectives
WAD World AIDS Day
WAD Writing across the Disciplines (education)
WAD Web Application Development
WAD Walking Assist Device (Honda)
WAD Works as Designed
WAD Whiplash Associated Disorders
WAD Wireless Access Device
WAD Work Authorization Document
WAD Wide Area Differential
WAD What a Day
WAD Women's Action for Development (Namibia)
WAD Windows Active Directory
WAD Wireless Application Development
WAD Wireless Advertisement
WAD Working as Designed
WAD Windows Active Directory (Microsoft)
WAD West African Development
WAD World Art Day (April 15)
WAD Wavelength Add and Drop (Lucent)
WAD West African Diamonds PLC
WAD We Always Die (gaming clan)
WAD Weak Acid Dissociable (cyanide; gold mining)
WAD Web Application Descriptor
WAD World Aerospace Database (McGraw-Hill)
WAD Wisconsin Association of the Deaf
WAD Where's All the Data (Doom gaming)
WAD War Allocation Daemon (Doom computer game)
WAD Works Authorization Deed (Australia)
WAD Web Application Debugger
WAD Women Across Differences (Guyana)
WAD World Appreciation Day
WAD Work Authorization Directive
WAD Wise Ass Doolie
WAD Worldwide Agency Data
WAD Written Acceptance Date (Sprint)
WAD Wide-Area Development
WAD Wordwide Automation Domination (cartoons)
WAD Wizard for Application Dictionary (application)

I did a short search on the internet for the meaning of WAD. What WAD were you referring to in your post?

It sure aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in WAD? I dare you. ;)

Working as designed.

Maybe defeating barbarian units could reduce the penalty by 1 per unit? If it doesn't already, not too sure how this one works.

I will look into it.

SUPER minor and not worth your time unless it's just one line of code, but clicking Ctrl+C which allows you switch civs anytime (great feature BTW) doesn't have a cancel option, so if you're used to it being the select all units of the same type in the same plot shortcut, it might be annoying for someone with a slow computer (which until recently was me).

Another minor thing that doesn't really affect anything unless you're going for the Confucian friendly-civ URV (which is why I noticed), but when you get Aztec/Inca conquerors, you get negative diplomatic points with your vassals for declaring war on a "friend" of your vassals (presumably because the way the coding is set up such that they encounter the Aztecs/Inca before the declaration of war).
But again, really only of any consequence to the Confucian URV since your vassals are usually going to remain pleased regardless, so maybe not worth your time.

On a semi-related note, any thoughts on getting the declaring war on a friend penalty negated over time? Seems like a war 1000s of years ago shouldn't affect relations (unless the change has already does and I'm just missing it).

Last edited:
should asian civilizations' trading companies national wonder stops the european trading companies conquest?

Top Bottom