Suggestions and Requests

I also have an idea that would make things historically accurate for the founding of some civs. Example: When America is founded, they are immediately at war with England. France, if it exists also immediately declares war on England supposing they weren't already. England does NOT automatically lose military units per turn to America as defectors. In the real war, England hired German mercenaries to fight some of the war. As a result, as soon as the war happens, the England player/ai has the option of spending a certain amount of gold from their treasury (if they have it) to automatically put troops in America to fight the war. Similar to what happens when troops are put in India.

I would support similar mechanics put in place for a lot of new world civs declarining independence since many times they didn't go down without a fight. Would make it feel more authentic. OTOH I feel there isn't really an advantage of these colonies unless going for a unique historical victory because they will just declare independence and going to war to get it back absolutely isn't worth it because of units defecting to fight the enemy.

My understanding is these defections weren't all that historically accurate anyway, at least in some cases.
I think these deterministic ideas go against the spirit of the mod, that England must declare war on the Americans, and that France must go to war with the British. I think the goal of this mod is to follow the general flow of history, but also give ample room for "what-if" situations to occur. Forcing a war between the French and the English, or the English and the Americans, takes away from the freedom that the mod provides. But I do agree that it would be neat to see mercenaries play a bigger role in the mod than they already do.

Also, I'd encourage you to update your version of the mod :). Leoreth has removed unit defections, and has introduced a whole new system of helping new civilizations get on their feet.

Unified Theory tech should give the first person to research it a great scientist, there's aren't any great person pops in the digital era or the last two columns of the global era. Computers giving an engineer would also make sense.

When I was last playing the game every vassal I got made my income get worse instead of better despite having the civics installed that vasslals increase your income. Glitch?

Also, an idea: Don't make Jersuaslem automatically part of the byzantine empire. Instead, Europeans band together to try to take the city, with the Arabian player fighting to keep it or reclaim it. Obviously to replicate the crusades.

Is there a way to make more oil necessary to have enough of it as is the case in Civ 6? I think that would make the game far more interesting.

When I was last playing the game every vassal I got made my income get worse instead of better despite having the civics installed that vasslals increase your income. Glitch?

Also, an idea: Don't make Jersuaslem automatically part of the byzantine empire. Instead, Europeans band together to try to take the city, with the Arabian player fighting to keep it or reclaim it. Obviously to replicate the crusades.

Is there a way to make more oil necessary to have enough of it as is the case in Civ 6? I think that would make the game far more interesting.
Jerusalem will be taken from Byzantium ~1000 AD when the Turks invade the Middle East.
The crusades to Jerusalem took place from ~1100 AD to ~1300 AD, so I'd say the system works as is.

Vassals increase your city maintenance cost. This feature goes back to the base game of Civ 4.

can it be edited for this mod so that vassals are a net positive instead of negative? My understanding is that european countries absolutely benefited from their colonies/vassals for example. Such as the Brits in India.

I think a mod should be in place for this so vassals a net positive to make it more realistic, as far as how history goes.

I also think Prussia's Unique Historical victory should be changed so that they can vassalize some of that land, rather than have to directly conquer all of it. Italy was an ally, but they didn't directly control them. They also made a vassal out of France.

I think it's a valid point that vassals are often not really worth it.

You also get a diplo malus from a lot of other civs by having vassals, and they don't want to trade away their ressources anymore since the changes to the AI when it comes to trading, so that benefit is gone as well.

Could be worth considering various ways to make vassals great again, oops, I mean make them more attractive.

Nomadic bonus for desolate terrain.

A bonus to a tile if adjacent tiles are unworked by letting 1 population receive yield from multiple adjacent plots.

A little something to simulate the accumulation of resources from the sparsely populated yet vast plains and deserts home to the nomadic peoples that populated these areas throughout history. (eg. the mongol and turkic peoples in the mod)

It could also help make the the colonization of cold siberia less of an exercise in burning :commerce::commerce::commerce:.

If nothing else, the cultural expansion of the the third ring recieves a purpose in helping you beyond obstructing your neighbors.

eg.

A desert tile gives zero :food:.
However, if 1 adjacent tile is unworked it receives +1/2:food:
If 2 adjacent tiles are unworked it gives +1:food:.
If 3 adjacent tiles are unworked it gives +1 1/2:food:
If 4 adjacent tiles are unworked it gives +2:food:.
If 5 adjacent tiles are unworked it gives +2 1/2:food:
If 6 adjacent tiles are unworked it gives +3:food:.
If 7 adjacent tiles are unworked it gives + 3 1/2:food:
Up to 8 adjacent unworked tiles, where it gives +4:food:.

Now if a second population is designated to work an orthagonally adjacent plot less adjacent spots would be unoccupied.
So each plot would only receive + 2 1/2:food:
3 unshared unworked tiles + 4 shared by two unworked tiles (1 1/2:food: + (2:food: : 2) = 2 1/2:food:

If the second populatian is assigned to a plot orthagonally adjacent to an orthagonally adjacent plot (two squares away from the first plot)
5 plots would be unshared unworked and 3 plots would be unworked but shared by 2.
So each plot would recieve 2 1/2:food: + (1 1/2:food: :2) = 3 1/4:food:

Note that on first glance the best result is (theoretically) achieved by assigning four workers (P) to the second ring around your city (C). Which feels especially nomadic to me.

.Pxx..
xxxxP
xxCxx
Pxxxx
..xxP..

I think the huns should be playable. They already are in Civ V they are as as historically significant (or more) as some civs already in this mod, so it's not like that is opening up a whole can of worms. They didn't really start off with cities, but neither did the Mongols AFAIK. If possible, I would support making native americans civs in the game (except they can't found cities) because historically they did make diplomatic negotians with Europeans including trading and make alliances.

You don't think they played an important part in the fall of Rome?

edit: they were deemed important enough for an entire game in the total war series.

Last edited:
marathon mode? or whatever you call the mode for the longest turns per game. But you can already rewrite history in this mod so why not

how to downvote posts

You're doing it wrong, the best way is to argue "we can just merge them with other vaguely similar cultures as an umbrella civ".
Huns->Turks->Mongols

Easy.

Top Bottom