Suggestions and Requests

The Hungarian Vegvar (castle UB) seems OP in some cases. When playing as Spain and trying to conquer cities from Protestant Hungary to make them convert to Catholicism, I moved a stack of about 30-40 units next to a city with a Vegvar. Next turn half of them were gone and the others were massively damaged.

Maybe tone down its damage impact a bit, as that level of destruction was quite unbalancing and close to game breaking.
You mean it killed your units? It should only reduce health with a couple percent.
Or the hungarians killed your units in a counterattack?

I agree though, it is very powerful. Might reduce it's effect a bit.
But I don't think it is anything close to gamebreaking, even in it's current state.

@Swarbs
Did a testgame, and you are right.
There is a mistake in damage calculations, which results in ever growing damage for units which are ordered later in the stack.
All your units should have got the damage your first unit got - somewhere between 6 and 12 percent of it's total health.
So it's absolutely unintentional that half of your stack was wiped out, a huge bug.

The most intereting part is, that it does work correctly the other way around. I think.
I only tested it with Hungary, and for some reason it didn't add increasing damage against AI stacks.

Last edited:
@Swarbs
Did a testgame, and you are right.
There is a mistake in damage calculations, which results in ever growing damage for units which are ordered later in the stack.
All your units should have got the damage your first unit got - somewhere between 6 and 12 percent of it's total health.
So it's absolutely unintentional that half of your stack was wiped out, a huge bug.

The most intereting part is, that it does work correctly the other way around. I think.
I only tested it with Hungary, and for some reason it didn't add increasing damage against AI stacks.

I thought that might be it - the stack was around 8 knights, 10 pistoleers, 5 cannons and 15 tercio. Knights, cannons and pistoleers took damage and tercio were all killed completely.

I was playing Emperor difficulty, possible something to do with the bonuses the AI gets at that level?

Wasn't fully game breaking after all - won the game anyway by making peace with Hungary, liberating their cities then bribing them to Catholicism.

Quite a satisfying game in the end - England, France, Germany and Hungary all went Protestant, and were the biggest civs in Europe at the time along with me putting them firmly in the lead for both land and people. So to win I had to war with France until they went Catholic as part of the cease fire, use spies to force England back to Catholicism, then get Hungary to switch by liberating cities. Three problems, three different solutions, usually Spain doesn't need that much effort for the last UHV so it was a nice challenge.

I thought that might be it - the stack was around 8 knights, 10 pistoleers, 5 cannons and 15 tercio. Knights, cannons and pistoleers took damage and tercio were all killed completely.

I was playing Emperor difficulty, possible something to do with the bonuses the AI gets at that level?
Probably not. It was a silly mistake on my part, also iterated the base damage modifier while looping through the units in the stack.
It should have stayed constant, this way it got increased with each additional unit.

Wasn't fully game breaking after all - won the game anyway by making peace with Hungary, liberating their cities then bribing them to Catholicism.

Quite a satisfying game in the end - England, France, Germany and Hungary all went Protestant, and were the biggest civs in Europe at the time along with me putting them firmly in the lead for both land and people. So to win I had to war with France until they went Catholic as part of the cease fire, use spies to force England back to Catholicism, then get Hungary to switch by liberating cities. Three problems, three different solutions, usually Spain doesn't need that much effort for the last UHV so it was a nice challenge.
:goodjob:
Sounds wonderful :)

That was the plan. You get diplo bonuses from sharing the same religion based on the faith of your civ.
Balance is not yet perfect, but the Round Church adds a constant amount of penalty, which could be more than negated with high enough faith.

oh a minor idea come to my mind. Purely for a flavor. It used to happened that a missionary fail to spread the given religion. I suggest that in that case, if you can be successful than the first missionary (the unit gone) shall become a saint or martyr. Thus giving the city +1:culture: and +1:commerce:. What do you think?:smoke:

How about an Irish civilization?

They would be a fun, unique civ to play, and would make England more fun to play as well.

Ireland was never united until the Irish Confederacy in the mid 17th century, and even then they claimed allegiance to Charles II (before he was executed). And even then, it was a Confederacy, they did not see themselves as one people, or belonging to one Kingdom, that came from outside, with the creation of the Kingdom of Ireland by the English.

In short, there was no united Ireland. It would be like having Muscovy, Kiev and Novgorod in one civilization called Russia.

On that note however... there should be an English Civil War event. Perhaps if you change civics or if you are chronically short of funds.

Ireland was never united until the Irish Confederacy in the mid 17th century, and even then they claimed allegiance to Charles II (before he was executed). And even then, it was a Confederacy, they did not see themselves as one people, or belonging to one Kingdom, that came from outside, with the creation of the Kingdom of Ireland by the English.

In short, there was no united Ireland. It would be like having Muscovy, Kiev and Novgorod in one civilization called Russia.

On that note however... there should be an English Civil War event. Perhaps if you change civics or if you are chronically short of funds.

How about adding one or more of the Medieval Irish Kingdoms, such as the Kingdom of Desmond or the Kingdom of Leinster?

Ireland is fine as it is with independent city-states. Doesn't make sense to represent one or two Irish "Kingdoms", but not the rest.

If you want to play has an Irish chieftain, I'd recommend Crusader Kings 2, they have a reasonably good representation of Ireland.

How about an Irish civilization?

They would be a fun, unique civ to play, and would make England more fun to play as well.

You proposed this before and I don't remember them sounding very fun. UHVs like building Catholic Churches and killing English units by 1700AD would make for a quite boring game with a whole lot of turns where nothing happens.

Also not sure it would make England more fun to play - if anything it would make the conquest of Ireland easier if you just have to kill one civ rather than potentially dealing with Scottish and Norse colonists in Ireland.

If so there should be a general civil war event for other civs too. After all the root causes of the English Civil War can be traced as much to religion as to money - the Bishops' War contributed to the build up to the civil war, so why not include the French Wars of Religion, German Peasant's War etc.

So it could be triggered by religious unhappiness, changing civics, unhappiness penalty due to not having common law etc whilst being shaky or unstable. There is already a mechanic embedded in RFC Classical World where Pompey flips part of the Roman Empire as a civil war if they become unstable, could be applied here. It would add a bit of flavour and mean you couldn't just cruise along at shaky stability without any risk.

Should non state religions not give +1:culture: under Religious Tolerance? Seems odd they would give it under Paganism but not under free religion.

Would that really be necessary? In Paganism you don't have a state religion. That's why you get the additional culture.
For me, it would be more logical if religions never gave culture except when it's the state religion. But that's up to debate.

But with Paganism you do have a state religion (thematically, not ingame), it's just not one of the major religions represented.

Top Bottom