1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by Publicola, Jun 11, 2015.

1. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Yes u r right, even hugh empires run with it. After 1500 half of AI use it.

2. jekke

jekke Chieftain

yeah, I am waiting for an update on that too.
    Actually, you can capture Bielosersk with a bit of luck using initial stack only, and I think it is good that you have to actively conquer it instead of a flip. Just do it quickly and forget about it, there are no barbarians coming from the east, and all the fun happens around Pskov-Riga. Ivangrod or Narva is enough for Estonia. I do remember long time ago there used to be a Danish settlement in western Estonia (Reval? modern Tallinn I suppose) which you had to deal with too, but in the current version the Danes are never settling it (which is a shame). Unhealthiness is a much bigger problem though, together with a lack of mercenaries.
    Also, a few times after capturing Riga I was losing it due to instability, so you have to be careful and really build all those courthouses and stuff.

Since we are at it, I am going to ask a probably stupid question; how exactly do forest tiles interact with health? Do you get like +1 health for every x forest tiles in the city radius, or am I talking nonsense here? Novgorod could really benefit from this source of health if the ratio is a bit increased.

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Sry guys, no map changes for 1.5, apart from the already implemented few.
    I have quite a few half-baked / test changes on a WIP map version (mostly with the recently added terrains: islands, semidesert, etc.), which would have to be updated separately with each change if I touched the current official map.
    Not to mention that I'm already behind schedule. I blame DC123456789 and all the DCN updates :D While I'm very close to the release, I'm not even sure that I can get 1.5 out tonight.

Anyway, I'm aware that there a couple capitals and important city positions which could be improved in some form, for example Novgorod, Roskilde, Leon, Marrakesh. These are all but forgotten.

4. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Marrakesh is ok, Leon got only growth problem in midgame and Roskilde is hopeless :D (specialy with danish settle habits )
    But Novgorod need a small adjustment only (yes the civ need more)
    @jekke Novgorod have only stability nothing else :D I used to take it asap ofc.
    @absinthe what for this rush? why is it so important to get it alive so fast? idk

5. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Then it's a good thing it might a few days before I have some time for a new round of DCN suggestions. :p

1.5 tonight? Wow, wasn't expecting it this quickly. Take your time if you need it, no one's going to care about another day or too.

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

No real rush, but actually a week ago I said in the starting thread that the release is scheduled on this Friday... and thought that I will have plenty of time to finalize the last few planned changes for once :lol:
    I tend to end up rushing a lot of new changes in the last few days before the planned release, there is always something I find which just have to be updated for the new version :)

Anyway, there are already more than enough changes for a new version, the mod seems very stable, and all the recently added things are in a fairly good state.
    Also I feel this is a rather good point for an official new version before I start on implementing the various map and province updates.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Some further info on my plans:
    There are only 2 bigger/more complex things left on my todo list for 1.5, neither of which I consider too urgent:
    - Switching from Paganism to State Religion/Theocracy/Organized Religion gives you a free religion choice
    - Readd initial civ name functionality to the DCN system (Xyz Peoples, before settling the first city)
    Both of which can be postponed to after the release, but then I guess I will take a closer look at them tomorrow.

Other than that the only things that still have to be done before the release:
    Doing something with company headquarters, revise resource/bonus settings for the various companies, and repak the art & reupload the files.
    The first is more or less ready, the second is simply a couple XML settings (just can't really decide on the "final" lists), the third just takes some time.

For 1.5 I don't want to start on another overhaul of a huge mechanics like flips/civ births, or culture, or civic updates. Those need lots of discussions, feedback, and iterations.
    The primary features of 1.6 will be the aformentioned map and province updates, all the related and unrelated UHV (and possibly UP) changes, and maybe one of those big mechanics above.

8. jekke

jekke Chieftain

ok, if you want to release quickly, map updates could wait.
    However, the 12 furs UHV condition seems currently nearly impossible (see my post above) unless I miss something. The easiest (temporary) fix would be change it to 10.

9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Quickly? The work on 1.5 started in the last summer. :)
    Although I did take a modding break for a couple months, and most of the work on the last summer were on map updates, most of which won't be part of this release...
    On the other hand I think I kinda balanced that break out in the last 2 months, the changes shaped up very nicely recently :)
    Actually I think we have more changes for 1.5 than we had for 1.4.

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Sure, will change it for 1.5

11. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

By my count, there's:
    - 2 furs in Finland
    - 3 furs in Karelia
    - 3 furs in Novgorod
    - 1 fur in Vologda
    - 1 fur in Livonia
    - 1 fur in Smolensk
    - 1 fur in Moscow

These are the 12 I went for when I last played Novgorod. It involves invading Muscovy but that's kind of inevitable as Novgorod anyway.

12. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Your list is good, so i think 11 is thrje way to go.

13. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Tried to check for this in both the civic settings and the leader preferences, but so far I have no clue why this is happening.
    Maybe it's because Merchant Republic is in the position of Democracy in vanilla Civ IV?

14. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

you made me curious, how does ai pick civics? (Beside availability)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  15. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Didn't have time to check it in the .dll
    But now I think there is a chance (based on the behavior you guys mentioned), that AI civic changes are mostly based on the civics' position in it's category, and not on the bonuses they give. And on availabilty of course.
    Which is, well, rather dumb. And definitely not mod friendly. For most mods, civic progression is not as linear in most categories as it is in vanilla Civ IV.

EDIT: fortunately this is not true
    Firaxis impemented some rather thorough value calculations for AI civic change.
    Of course it's far from perfect for the needs for RFCE, but a good base to work with.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. jekke

jekke Chieftain

I just tried to actually found Novgorod as a capital (usually go for Pskov) and got 10 furs in 1397:( Damn Lithuanians got too strong, and plague and Kiev respawn didn't help it either. One day I'm gonna make it. Well, maybe.
    Sad nation, furs, furs, furs, forest, marshes, unhealthiness, stability jumps... sad, depressive gameplay. Well done, I love it.

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I can't really decide if you are being ironic or not :)

18. jekke

jekke Chieftain

:lol: well, thank you. No, that one was serious. It is sad and I believe it should be so. And I forgot to mention the chudes. Your most important unit in the opening phase is the starting horse archer. It alone can kill as many Chudes axemen as you wish so you better make sure he survives the initial siege of Bielosjerk.
    My only problem with Novgorod (apart from not being able to get those damn furs) is that I can never build Konetses as usually by the time it is available my cities are already unhealthy (or close to that). Narva's purpose is to control Estonia and get the pigs, but it can't actually work the pigs because otherwise it grows unhealthy in a second. I don't bother building farms at all because one or two food-rich tiles around every city give you enough food in these low health condition.

19. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Not sure where it came up, but I managed to enable city trading with your vassals.
    They still have to want the trade, it's now similar to the way you have it with normal civs.
    So your vassals won't accept all cities automatically, but only the ones which they found useful enough (mostly based on distance from their core area)

20. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

That's great, I've always been annoyed at the seeming arbitrariness of what cities you're allowed to liberate to your vassals.