1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by Publicola, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Publicola

Publicola Chieftain

Apparently, someone got around to actually making this improvement a reality.

Here's the link.

The model is still a work-in-progress (they just borrowed the existing fort improvement), and they don't seem to incorporate any :commerce: bonus for the tile, but the basic code to enable an inland city to produce sea units and coastal buildings is there. I'd love to see this component become part of the next version of RFCE.

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Interesting, thanks for the info!

3. devolution

devolution Chieftain

The port (district) does connect resources (just like forts) and adds +2C. It can be customized just like any other tile improvement. The bPort tag can be added to any improvement to make it act a a port. Anyways, I am open to suggestions related to how it could be improved as well as ideas about other types of districts.

Publicola likes this.
  4. caphyre

caphyre Chieftain

I would like to suggest an improvement too (basically, improvement of an improvement): https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/super-forts.444512/
    It would make forts much more useful. Currently they consume workers when built, but I think there is also needed cost/mainteance of forts.
    Also some ideas:
    Make forts upgradeable, with discovery of Siege Engines and Polygonal Fort.
    +1 trade route in a capital when built on a distant coastal tile (with enabled Merchant Republic).
    Make possible to build in enemy's territory (with increased cost).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  5. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

Currently playing as Genoa. Was trying to send a Cog carrying a Guisarmier and Knight of St. John to Crimea so that they would help to defend the city that I founded there, against Mongol Keshiks. I also agreed to participate in a crusade while the transport was on its way to Crimea. Both units abandoned the transport and went for crusade just when I was about to arrive Crimea.

Is it possible to improve the crusades logic so that units on transports would not "desert"?

6. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I just noticed, If you put a city on auto build order, then the city build most of the building, then it does espionage. No units. Can you pls look into it? I guessing to give the same stuff as AI do its building list.

7. Publicola

Publicola Chieftain

I recently started listening to the Great Courses' lecture series on the history of the Ottoman Empire. It's been a while since I played the Ottomans, but is there any game mechanic that corresponds to the absolutely massive role that the slave trade played in their economy and country? I mean, the most famous role of slavery is with the devshirme and the forced recruitment of East European Christians to serve as janissaries, but Ottoman slavery was way bigger than that.

Despite the fact that very few households could purchase slaves, there are estimates that even by 1609, one-fifth of the empire's total population was slaves. (The course I listened to indicated that the tax on slave trade accounted for about 1/3 of the Sultan's income each year). From what I can tell, most of Ottoman slavery was based on sexual slavery (given the mention of how high a price "young boys and virgin girls" would sell for, and how much slave traders focused on supplying those to the markets), though there was a considerable amount of typical labor slavery, plus the weirdly high-status slavery of the army and governmental administration.

Per the BBC, between 1500 and 1900, five million Africans were bought by Muslim slave traders and sold around the Indian Ocean (it also indicates up to 17 million African slaves were taken by Muslims, but that number seems to date from 630 AD).

Per Wikipedia, the Crimean Khanate launched slave raids into Russia and Eastern Europe, seizing about three million slaves (The lecture series called this a very conservative estimate), mostly to supply the Ottoman slave markets.

Also per the wiki, the Barbary States (quasi-autonomous Ottoman provinces) were responsible for another 1 million slaves between 1530-1780, from both Europe and North Africa.

Across roughly the same time period, the trans-Atlantic slave trade accounted for about 12.5 million slaves to European possessions in Brazil, the Caribbean, and the American South. Ottoman slave trade is roughly comparable in size, but probably had a greater impact on their culture and society, given that almost all of those slaves were brought back and settled in the Empire itself. (Imagine if Portugal had brought back all ~4 million slaves back to Lisbon, rather than Brazil. Likewise for Spain, the Dutch, the English and French). The slave trade financed the government, comprised a huge portion of the Ottoman economy, drove Ottoman strategy in both military and diplomacy.

How much of that is reflected in the game? If I remember correctly, the only appearance of slaves are as a colony resource, after civs secure 'Atlantic Access' and build colonies in the New World. How much of Ottoman gameplay is based on or affected by this mechanic? (Same applies to the Crimean Khanate, and to whatever civ we decide to add in North Africa).

gilgames and AtlantaMarty like this.
  8. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Afaik it is represented in the janissary unit, and how you get a new one on a city conquer plus the regular /300
    And also in islamic unit prod.bonus.
    What you seggest is some major game mechanic change. But sounds interesting.

9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Sounds reasonable, will look into it.

10. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Wouldn’t that be “gameable” by loading your units onto transports the turn of the Crusade?

11. caphyre

caphyre Chieftain

How about importing a little feature from the SOI?

Spoiler CityNameManager.py :
    def assignName(self, city):
    """Names a city depending on its plot."""

iOwner = city.getOwner()
    cityName = tCityMap[gc.getMap().getGridHeight() - city.getY() - 1][city.getX()]
    if cityName != "-1":
    if cityName == "Rayy" and CyGame().getGameTurnYear() > 1250:
    cityName = "Tehran"

if cityName == "Ormuz" and iOwner == con.iSafavids:
    cityName = "Bandar-e Abbas"
    if cityName == "Al-Aqabah":
    if CyGame().getGameTurnYear() < 1100:
    cityName = "Ayla"

if cityName == "Sur" and city.getX() == 63 and city.getY() == 17:
    apCityList = PyPlayer(iOwner).getCityList()
    for pCity in apCityList:
    if pCity.getName() == "Sur":
    cityName = "Sour"
    break
    # check if the default name is in dictionary, if yes, use it; otherwise use default
    iPrimary, iSecondary = self.getLanguages(iOwner)
    if cityName in lCityNames[iPrimary]:
    city.setName(lCityNames[iPrimary][cityName], False)
    elif cityName in lCityNames[iSecondary]:
    city.setName(lCityNames[iSecondary][cityName], False)
    else:
    city.setName(cityName, False)

Why?

Because there's some cities that change their names with time and some important cities on the same tile which become more significant, for example:
    Danish and Norwegian: Roskilde becomes Kjøbenhavn (old spelling before 1906) in 1433. Already Copenhagen in other languages.
    Norwegian: Bjørgvin becomes Bergen in... idk when
    Arabic: al-Qahirah before 969: al-Fustat
    Arabic: Barniq becomes Banghazi after ~1450

The Turk likes this.
  12. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

Prussia in 1200AD scenario needs iron they can reach inside their core area.
    Also I have made a nice icon for those who have made shortcuts for the Mod.
    Using the image from http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4673/8021/

Attached Files:

13. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

With the map being so big, I think it would be fine to lengthen minimum distance between cities by 1 more tile.

14. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

England spawns in 1066 flipping Normandy, and Norway has to conquer it until 1194 for their UHV.
    IRL this was the other way around; Vikings settled in Normandy, and their descendants conquered England.

Normandy should be removed from Norwegian UHV goal,
    or England should not flip Normandy,
    or England should spawn earlier. (maybe 886, the year of Alfred's ascension)

EdmundIronside likes this.
  15. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

Kiev spawns in 882, but their UHV goals all check between 1250 and 1300. Maybe spread them out a bit?

16. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

These are things that have been debated million times over the past several years. Its all a consensus between us amd the devs. Deal with it.

17. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Chieftain

I agree with JH Lee. The English spawn is insultingly wrong. Its like having Hungary spawn in 1526.
    I don't know if they are meant to represent the English or the Normans, but currently they end up doing neither.
    Other then this complete faux pas, this mod is excellent.
    On a not entirely unrelated subject, is there a guide to adding civs to this mod?