Suggestions

Had an idea about partisans. From earlier versions of Civ, I found the actual military unit partisans a huge pain to deal with, and as pointed out elsewhere they aren't very realistic. I don't know all of the historical details of partisans in WWII, but in game terms would it make sense for spies to be generated? These would do the usual spy activities. I wonder if there would be a way to limit such partisan-spies to the borders of their original country. However, how would these partisan spies be countered? Shouldn't the presence of military garrison thwart/prevent them?

Hi been playing the beta 3 addon and had a couple problems/suggestions. First off it seems ranged bombardment doesn't work if the enemy ship is sitting in neutral waters. For instance playing as britian I can't bombard german sh ips in dutch waters before they join the allies. Not sure if this is the intended purpose, but it cost me a handful of bombers and a battleship... which sucked.

For some reason or another London, Liverpool, and Sydney's growth seem to be stuck. All of them got to around size 5 and just stopped growing. Even though the granary showed 1 turn for growth, and there was quite an abundance of food and unworked tiles.

I realize the health resources are absent to keep populations/production somewhat balanced... but the AI really seems to have a problem with this. As outside of britian and canada, 90% of the cities are always squalored. Production seems a bit out of whack as well. I can't remember a nation ever poducing an entire naval fleet in the time it took to make a few tanks.

So to balance the production... maybe you could remove the 25% production increase on the naval factory. Or make all factories (except naval) require a goods factory which has no health decrease but takes a bit longer to build, and isn't available until polymerisation. This is actually pretty realistic since its the contractors making small parts that really amp production, and theres nothing small about a battleship.

Other than that... great mod, I've really enjoyed it.

A thought about the desert (I don't think this has been mentioned already, sorry in advance if it has). There is the special promotion for the winter effects, why not make a similar terrain promotion for the desert? Would allow one to specialize/promote units ala the Afrika Korps, without having to add special units/graphics/etc.

Is there the possibility to get more different unit graphics in the mod (I think of the infantry units ) ?

Great mod.

Any chance for more nations?

Denmark maybe? (Allied)
Copenhagen will now be a part of Denmark
Nuuk will be available in Greenland
Tórshavn (Faroe Islands) will be a part of Denmark (Temporary occupation by Britain when Denmark is invaded by Germany (Historical Events), Airport project to be built by British) (If playing British, a mini task would be to "capture" the island, and build the airport to provide protection in the Atlantic against German naval operations)

Switzerland (Neutral)
Replace Rhine with Bern
Add Zürich

Any other potential nations?

Oh and a restriction on money would be nice. What I mean is, when you go to (Historical Events or Partially Historical), and become friendly with your allies which btw, this is most appropriate with concern of the "weaker" allies, you can easily be bringing in lots of money and vital resources from them. Sure this is nice and all, but you shouldn't be able to reek in +1500 gold per turn from allies to fund the 1 turn creation of units! Perhaps you could make units ridiculously expensive (when you intend to pay them off for 1 turn creation) or perhaps make the allies just pleased? I'm not sure if they'll still be willing to offer you some money because of this. Or maybe (if possible), a loaning scheme? Where loans made to one nation would eventually have to be paid off? (or would it be theoretical i.e. payed off after WWII) :p

Don't know if this has been suggested before. Playing the 3.13 RTW version. (without the add-on, will download soon)

Armor unit: give them -25% city attack, remove access to city raider promotions.

In its current format, armor are the best unit for all offensive purpose. In open-terrain, I can only agree. However, for city operations, arty and infantry should be the only viable option (from a ground unit perspective).

Thanks for the great mod, awesome work.

very much agree with DarthCycles armour suggestions. If you are fighting in open terrain armour is great, but confined areas like forests and especially cities they have to grind through mines, obstuctions, close range AT weapons, ambushs.
- it would be nice to see a hedgerow terrain type for the normandy area (and maybe lightly scattered around europe) as defensive as forests but gives same benefit as farm. then it is a bit of a grind to take France back from Germany, rather than blitzkrieg to berlin.
- themed promotions would be a quick and easy way to get the mod more WW2 aligned without 'more exact realism' and the like. Mobility promotions could be Motorized - Mechanised, etc. They could give bonus movement, bonus vs inf weapons in defence, etc. More wheeled/tracked vehicles meant faster moving divisions as well as heavier equipment being assigned.
this would tie in with tech-allowed infantry AT promotions.
- unit limit on codebreakers.
- dont obsolete tanks, it is cool and useful to be able to make light/med tanks when you have heavies, to fit the type of mission you want. raiders vs main force vs heavy breakthrough.
- maginot isnt tough enough. arty/air concentrations can break through soon after ww2 starts with few or no casualties (prince diff) and france has few troops to stop germany (despite having larger inf/arty/tank forces.
- france needs a small navy in the med defending their middle eastern lands. otherwise germany just doesnt take paris and moves troops to palestine/syria to take the undefended cities there.
- at the moment i would say RtW is great for hunam vs hunam but the AI needs a real kick up the bum.

how about a Machine Gun unit like in regular civ with 1 first strike, 50% vs gunpowder and defend only. An early machine gun would have 15 str. A regular machine gun would have 18 str, and an advanced machine gun would have 20 str. Also, they should be able to get pinch unlike in reg civ.

I'm sure someone has proposed this, but I would like the idea of POW as workers. Like in civ 3, where the mayan uu could enslave a military unit into a worker. I think this promotes realism, as the enemies dont just fight to the last man, but rather surrender to protect their own lives. So, every turn, each POW worker has a 20% chance of becoming a partisans. If you station a military unit over the POW, the chance is reduced to 2%. If there is one successful uprising of POW, other POW workers in the same tile will get a 50% chance of uprising and become partisans as well. Also, you cannot just disband or gift away POW workers. If the country of origins of the POW workers are destroyed, then all the percentage above would reduce by 1/2.

Check elsewhere in these threads, much earlier during the development phase -- there is a discussion of POW issues and valid reasons to leave POWs out of the scenario.

POW worker won't be added at all. this is out of respect for the living and dead POW's from WWII and all other wars. There is no way to usefully implement this, and no real balance issue that it would fix.

No, out of respect, I won't allow the "capturing, deleting, etc etc" of them.

A few suggestions:
Decrease the the strength of fighters and give them +100 vs air?
Its just feels wrong that a single fighter almost always wins against a AA-gun.

Increase the damage of artillery against one single target.
Right now you can kill 2units in a stack almost as fast/even faster than one single since you deal more colleteral than direct damage.

Increase the chance to hit ships in port.
Last game I tried to attack a single battleship in port with 8 bombers and 6 fighters.All failed (might be just bad luck but with that amount I could have killed 2 on open see)

And one bug concerning AA-guns:
One AA can interrupt fighters/bombers after it got destroyed:
If you select more than one airplane and send them to attack a tile defended by one AA-gun the AA gets a chance to interupt every single one before the combat takes place. Very funny if you kill the same AA 5 times in one turn.

hey, how about splash damage for missile units? Maybe reduce the strength, but maybe worthwhile in some strategic instances.

pows could be very useful, if talk in respect to pows then lets shot all entire game down - so many ppl died in ww2.
this is strategy war simulator we need pows and we need new terrain building in addition to farms, cottedges and such we could have Ccamp- concentration camp and jales.
in concentration camps we could store pows and for each if its in city radius - city could generate +1 or +2 gold or production shields.
Jale in other hand for our idle workers. when workers done their job we could put them in jale so that they dont cost maintanance cost, +gold from worker in jail -gold maintanance cost = free upkeep.
lets say there limit 10 inmates in Ccamps and jales.
If we play simulator then lets play it as close to real as possible or if u so sensitive dont play it at all!

I suggest to those wanting POW's, concentration camps and other stuff have a go at adding them yourselves.

If you hadn't noticed I'm no longer working on RtW. The add-on is the final work I'm doing on the mod. :)

If you hadn't noticed I'm no longer working on RtW. The add-on is the final work I'm doing on the mod. :)

That's really bad news.
Anyway, thank you. You've made a great mod - it's a pity we won't see any further enhancement.

Some suggestions while playing through...

- An actual Partisan unit instead of generic infantry being generated. It seems odd that Partisans should be suddenly generated fully trained and equipped professional soldiers rather than a militia type unit.

- Some way for the Historical Events modes to "switch off" after a certain date, so that you can follow history *up to a point* but then go on to invade Sweden etc. - say in 1945.

I think I have a good suggestion about making AI perform a lot better in historical events mode, starting the game in 1936 (I have played Europe 1936 with exact or random hitorical events several times). AI does not take advantage of guaranteed peace and no barbarians for many turns in the begining of the game. It starts building military units in the undeveloped citys, when it is a better strategy, I believe, to improve your infrastucture by building workers and factories first. I think there should be a production queue for a game start, which AI could not change until it is completed. My suggested production queue would look like this: worker (from 0 to 2); vehicle, air and naval factories, barracs. There could be build 2 workers if a city can produce one in 4 turns or less. And there might not be a point to build any workers if a city can't build a single worker faster then 12 turns. Start building factories right away then. Barracs should be in a scripted queue becouse I am afraid that as soon as AI will get control of what to build, it will start building units without barracs, meaning without promotions. While with factories in place, improved land and population more then 4, barracs take only 1 or 2 turns to build.
And a second thing. Free workers, which start in a capital city in the begining of the game, should be spread to start in other cities. I worry about cities in Africa, which belong to France, Italy and UK. No workers start there and those cities mostly are to weak in production to build a worker fast. Workers have to be shiped from the Europe, which is too difficult for an AI, I am shure. Most often there won't be made land improvements around the cities in Africa, controled by AI. And those cities build only 2 or 3 infantry units till the begining of the war, when it is posible to get even more tanks from every city.
So my suggestion in short again is:
-Starting production queue of workers and factories, which AI can not change, until it is completed.
-Spread starting free workers.

Top Bottom