Superheroes!

Without mutants already in the MCU, it can't really be an adaptation, per se, but there are some clues in there that suggest an homage to "House of M." There are a couple of scenes suggesting that Wanda & Vision don't know what's going on. The dinner scene in the "Bewitched" segment maybe suggests they aren't even aware there is anything wrong.

The nerdosphere has been speculating that Kathryn Hahn is playing a version of Agatha Harkness, a character I'm not 100% familiar with. In the comics, according to Wikipedia, she taught The Scarlet Witch 'real' magic and was Franklin Richards' governess. I see her referred to as the film's "villain" in one or two places, but my impression of Harkness in the comics is that she's not a villain - maybe a mysterious character, like Q in Star Trek. In broad terms, "House of M" was about Wanda losing control of her powers, so it'd be interesting if that's what's going on here, and Harkness is a sorceress - a peer of The Ancient One, maybe - who's trying to help. Or maybe, like Guinan in ST, she's powerful enough that she can tell that reality's been f'd with. In the scene where she says Vision is dead, Hahn's delivery could be read as sinister or genuinely confused - there's a cut right before her big 'Wicked Witch' laugh, and since this is a trailer, those two instants could be unrelated in the actual scene.

Anyway, I'm certainly looking forward to this one. WandaVision wrapped filming at the beginning of March and its release date was actually pushed forward, from "early 2021" to December 2020, so its schedule wasn't disrupted until it was in post-production. One possible wrinkle is whether or not it needs to debut after Falcon & The Winter Soldier and/or Black Widow for story reasons. From what little we've seen, the two series and the film all seem unrelated, so maybe they could swap the release order.

Unless they're doing crossovers between the shows, I'm not sure release order especially matters.

Crossovers would be cool, though...

I'm honestly burned out on the Marvel media universe. From Iron Man to Endgame, a decade's worth of stories that imo had a satisfying conclusion for each of the characters, so I'm kind of ambivalent about new stories involving them. I'm not even that thrilled with the upcoming Black Widow film as it comes way too late.

Yeah, the next phase doesn't really interest me. I don't like Dr. Strange and the the surrealism in WandaVision will probably be a miss for me. Black Widow is too little too late, and I don't like Falcon as Cap. There are those other characters they're introducing, but I've already forgotten them completely.

There's that new Thor movie, and I really liked Ragnarok, but I have exactly zero interest in Portman.

:dunno:

Well, hey, maybe Blade will be cool.

My memories of Thor: The Dark World are so hazy that I almost have to question whether I actually saw it. :lol:

I've liked Portman in several other things, but I'm a little surprised she signed onto this project. Maybe Marvel backed the money-truck up to her house, or maybe she was poised to leap on any chance to work with Waititi, or both. If Rachel McAdams comes back too, I'll know something strange is going on (pardon the pun).

Last edited:
My memories of Thor: The Dark World are so hazy that I almost have to question whether I actually saw it. :lol:

I've liked Portman in several other things, but I'm a little surprised she signed onto this project. Maybe Marvel backed the money-truck up to her house, or maybe she was poised to leap on any chance to work with Waititi, or both. If Rachel McAdams comes back too, I'll know something strange is going on (pardon the pun).

The way I remember it, for part of the movie Portman was playing the girlfriend who needed the hero to rescue her. And they may have been discouraging to her in terms of sticking with the part. But other parts of the movie, she played a smart, active character who in the end was a key part of the hero win. So as a whole I don't feel it was a weak character. But maybe she felt otherwise. :dunno:

The CW announced that the next season of Supergirl will be its last. That's not the worst idea I've ever heard. I think the show either needs something that would really re-energize it, or a good ending. I'm not sure what either one would be, off the top of my head, but they've chosen the latter. And I like it when shows are given advance warning, rather than abruptly canceled, as they so often are. Unless they really drop the ball in the final season, I think Supergirl has to be counted as a success.

This already looks like a riot. HBO Max has gone straight-to-series on action-comedy Peacemaker, starring John Cena, with all 8 episodes written and directed by James Gunn. Part of me is hoping the show is actually called [Frack], it's Peacemaker! I don't even need a trailer, I already want to see this. :lol:

Ms. Marvel casting call: "Auntie Ruby - Female, Pakistani, 50s-70s, vibrant, spirited and animated. She’s always in the know and never at a loss for words."

Spoiler :

I mean, really, if she wants it they pretty much just have to give it to her, don't they? I know, it's type-casting. I don't care. :D (That's Shohreh Aghdashloo, lately of The Expanse, if you don't know her.)

Jamie Foxx will reprise his role as Electro in Spider-Man 3.

He is capable of being a good actor, so I'm not opposed. This reminds me that I want to rewatch Far From Home.

Jamie Foxx will reprise his role as Electro in Spider-Man 3.

He is capable of being a good actor, so I'm not opposed. This reminds me that I want to rewatch Far From Home.
I haven't seen either of the Andrew Garfield movies. JustWatch says they're available for rent through Amazon, but I don't know if I want to spend (even more) money on those atm.

otoh, Netflix just got Ghost Rider! Yee-haw!

Hey, I'd forgotten Sam Elliott was in that.

The first Garfield movie might be worth it. The second... is not. That's the one Electro was in, and I think the second film is pretty universally recognized as the worst. It doesn't have the meme quality of Spider-Man 3 from the Raimi trilogy (although I personally liked the third movie quite a bit).

The first Garfield movie might be worth it. The second... is not. That's the one Electro was in, and I think the second film is pretty universally recognized as the worst. It doesn't have the meme quality of Spider-Man 3 from the Raimi trilogy (although I personally liked the third movie quite a bit).
Oops. I pressed the "Like" button before I finished reading the whole post. :nono:

:p

Brief Shazam! deleted scene.

The premier of "Swamp Thing" is on the CW tonight. Almost missed hearing about it at all.
I haven't watched it yet, but evidently the first ep of Swamp Thing got good ratings (by The CW's standards, at any rate). Of course, some of that has to be that people are starved for new content, but still.

I haven't watched it yet, but evidently the first ep of Swamp Thing got good ratings (by The CW's standards, at any rate). Of course, some of that has to be that people are starved for new content, but still.

Yeah, that's the only new thing I've seen so far this year. I don't even know what's on this year. As I never got around to checking.

Top Bottom