Superheroes!

Another question - why aren't all of the Spiderman movies on the recommended watching list? They only have Homecoming and Far from home on this list - weren't there more earlier spiderman movies that set up the character and so on? If I should watch any of those, I can slot them in too.

Spiderman in the MCU is a complete reboot from any previous Spiderman movies. So the older movies do not connect with the MCU at all.

So the older movies do not connect with the MCU at all.
I read somewhere recently that Marvel (or, was it Sony) was looking to integrate Tobey Maguire's and Andrew Garfield's Spiderman characters into the MCU as alternate universe versions.
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Looks like Wonder Woman 1984 will finally be released simultaneously on HBOMAX & in theaters on Christmas day.

‘Wonder Woman 1984’ to Debut Both on HBO Max and in Theaters

Official main trailer released yesterday (Looks alot like one of the previous trailers)

Just finished watching Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Really liked it, even one of the nazis coming back sort of worked and didn't distract from the story. Plot was good and kept me engaged, action scenes were well done, am looking forward to eventually getting to the sequel.

On to Guardians of the Galaxy, which I watched in the movie theatre and liked it, so I'm rewatching it. Already I am seeing that it ties into the overall story, which I didn't realize during my earlier watchthrough

Started writing this before I saw it had already been answered, but Imma post it anyway... ;)
Another question - why aren't all of the Spiderman movies on the recommended watching list? They only have Homecoming and Far from home on this list - weren't there more earlier spiderman movies that set up the character and so on? If I should watch any of those, I can slot them in too.
The short answer is, licensing issues.

Sony has held the rights to the character for years: they made the unconnected-to-the-MCU Tobey Maguire trilogy back in 2002–04, and then the relatively poor (IMHO, naturally) Andrew Garfield reboots in 2010–12-ish (basically to avoid having the licence revert to Marvel). But none of those 5 movies are 'necessary' to the MCU. AFAIK, Sony still technically hold the rights, but were paid dollops of cash by Marvel(/Disney?) to allow the Tom Holland films: the "Homecoming" subtitle is a deliberate reference to this.

Holland-as-Spidey shows up in Civil War (which is technically the third Cap movie, but essentially another Avengers movie, between Age of Ultron and Infinity War), so you might want to watch Homecoming before Civil War (even though it was actually released later, IIRC).

But Far From Home happens after InfinityWar/Endgame.

And then of course I get to find out what the hell an Ultron is. (probably not CPU architecture name, but you never know)
You're not that far off, actually. :lol:

Age of Ultron had a great trailer. Some of its beats have grown stale in the years since (the spooky, ethereal rendition of an upbeat song; the doomtastic descending notes over the blood-red logo) and the fan service will bounce off anyone who doesn't know who Ultron is (he's been an Avengers uber-villain since the late '60s) but at the time it was pretty great. I think it debuted in the big hall at SDCC and sent the place into a nerd-frenzy. I think it holds up pretty well.

(The song's from Pinocchio, for those who can't place it.)

Just finished watching Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Really liked it, even one of the nazis coming back sort of worked and didn't distract from the story.
If you mean Toby Jones' Arnim Zola, his appearance in The Winter Soldier was a nod to one of Marvel Comics' more bizarre villains. Jack Kirby had his share of drugs in the '60s, I guess...

Spoiler :

AFAIK, Sony still technically hold the rights, but were paid dollops of cash by Marvel(/Disney?) to allow the Tom Holland films: the "Homecoming" subtitle is a deliberate reference to this.
Right, Sony also hold the rights to the stable of Spider-Man-related characters, which is why Venom isn't officially part of the MCU. Supposedly they wanted to do a whole run of Spider-related movies. Olivia Wilde has signed up to direct something Marvel-related for Sony, and the popular speculation is that it will be Spider-Woman.

The film and television rights for Marvel characters got scattered to the four winds by Marvel Comics before Marvel established its own movie studio, but they're starting to come back together. Fox owned many of them, and so Marvel got those back when Disney bought Fox. iirc, the rights to the characters that Netflix licensed will start reverting to Marvel shortly, or maybe they have already. I forget the exact date. Somebody created an online petition to bring back the existing cast of Daredevil for a continuation of their series under Disney that got something like 350,000 signatures. I don't know if that's a lot, or if Disney gives a crap about online petitions. I suppose with the pandemic throwing everything into a blender (they're insisting that Black Widow will be released in May as normal), any preliminary announcement they might have been preparing to make regarding those characters might have gotten flushed down the toilet. Although they are moving ahead with other MCU properties on Disney+, announcing the casting of She-Hulk and Moon Knight and starting production on Ms. Marvel, so the lack of news about Daredevil may mean there's nothing to tell.

A popular fan theory is that Daredevil may appear in the next Spider-Man movie, although I find those two characters in my mind to be kind of a jarring tonal dissonance, at least if we're going with the Netflix version of Daredevil. I wouldn't want Spidey to get that dark, even if the next movie is meant to be darker than the last two, and I don't know if I want that iteration of Daredevil to be more 'four-color.' I'm trying to imagine Jon Bernthal's Frank Castle or Krysten Ritter's Jessica Jones teaming up with Rocket Raccoon or Ant-Man. "And I thought I was screwed up. Sheesh." :lol: (Thinking about it, though, I would love to see Ritter and Rudd do something together. Just maybe not that.)

If you mean Toby Jones' Arnim Zola, his appearance in The Winter Soldier was a nod to one of Marvel Comics' more bizarre villains. Jack Kirby had his share of drugs in the '60s, I guess...

Yeah, this guy, who came back as a ghost in the machine and was promptly killed (I think). When they showed him I was like "oh great, the movie was great but they decided to bring the nazis back..", but that was as far as they took it with the nazis, thankfully.

I'll watch the Ultron trailer after I watch the movie. I bet it shows me a bunch of stuff I don't want to see yet.

Started writing this before I saw it had already been answered, but Imma post it anyway... ;)The short answer is, licensing issues.

Sony has held the rights to the character for years: they made the unconnected-to-the-MCU Tobey Maguire trilogy back in 2002–04, and then the relatively poor (IMHO, naturally) Andrew Garfield reboots in 2010–12-ish (basically to avoid having the licence revert to Marvel). But none of those 5 movies are 'necessary' to the MCU. AFAIK, Sony still technically hold the rights, but were paid dollops of cash by Marvel(/Disney?) to allow the Tom Holland films: the "Homecoming" subtitle is a deliberate reference to this.

Holland-as-Spidey shows up in Civil War (which is technically the third Cap movie, but essentially another Avengers movie, between Age of Ultron and Infinity War), so you might want to watch Homecoming before Civil War (even though it was actually released later, IIRC).

But Far From Home happens after InfinityWar/Endgame.

This is the order I've been following, got it from some site:

Spoiler :

• Captain America: The First Avenger (takes place during WWII)
  • Captain Marvel (takes place in 1995)
  • Iron Man (takes place in 2010)
  • Iron Man 2 (takes place after Iron Man)
  • The Incredible Hulk (time unspecified, pre-Avengers)
  • Thor (takes place six months before Avengers)
  • The Avengers (takes place in 2012)
  • Iron Man 3 (takes place six months after The Avengers)
  • Thor: Dark World (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (sometime in 2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (after Guardians)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (takes place in 2015)
  • Ant-Man (takes place in 2015)
  • Captain America: Civil War (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (post-Civil War, pre-Infinity War)
  • Doctor Strange (takes place in 2016)
  • Black Panther (takes place in 2017)
  • Thor: Ragnarok (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (takes place in 2017)
  • Ant-Man and The Wasp (ambiguous, but fits nicely between IW and Endgame)
  • Avengers: Endgame (starts in 2017, finishes in 2022)
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home (post-Endgame)

It says that homecoming happens right after civil war. Thoughts?

IIRC (I haven't seen Homecoming in a long while) there is a part of the movie that takes place before Civil War, but most of it takes place after so you're probably better off watching it after. But I will say that given the nature of Spidey's part in Civil War, it probably doesn't matter that much which order you watch the two movies, except that watching Homecoming first might spoil Civil War a little, while watching Civil War first definitely won't spoil Homecoming at all.
(The song's from Pinocchio, for those who can't place it.)
Not just Pinocchio, Disney's Pinocchio, which is actually really significant to the plot. I loved Pinocchio as a kid and I watched it a bunch of times, so hearing the song remixed in that creepy Ultron version was really cool and meaningful for me. I thought it was perfect for the Ultron character and I wish they had featured it more prominently in the actual movie.
This is the order I've been following, got it from some site:

Spoiler :

• Captain America: The First Avenger (takes place during WWII)
  • Captain Marvel (takes place in 1995)
  • Iron Man (takes place in 2010)
  • Iron Man 2 (takes place after Iron Man)
  • The Incredible Hulk (time unspecified, pre-Avengers)
  • Thor (takes place six months before Avengers)
  • The Avengers (takes place in 2012)
  • Iron Man 3 (takes place six months after The Avengers)
  • Thor: Dark World (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (sometime in 2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (after Guardians)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (takes place in 2015)
  • Ant-Man (takes place in 2015)
  • Captain America: Civil War (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (post-Civil War, pre-Infinity War)
  • Doctor Strange (takes place in 2016)
  • Black Panther (takes place in 2017)
  • Thor: Ragnarok (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (takes place in 2017)
  • Ant-Man and The Wasp (ambiguous, but fits nicely between IW and Endgame)
  • Avengers: Endgame (starts in 2017, finishes in 2022)
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home (post-Endgame)

It says that homecoming happens right after civil war. Thoughts?
Like I say above, my recollection is that it mostly takes place after Civil War. I say your best bet is to watch Civil War first to avoid spoiling it.

Some of the post-credits stingers might make less sense out of order, or just be less fun. Those are mostly teasers for the next film. The post-credits stinger for Ant-Man & The Wasp would be a spoiler for Infinity War, if you hadn't seen that yet, but that's the only one I can think of, off the top of my head.

Not just Pinocchio, Disney's Pinocchio, which is actually really significant to the plot. I loved Pinocchio as a kid and I watched it a bunch of times, so hearing the song remixed in that creepy Ultron version was really cool and meaningful for me. I thought it was perfect for the Ultron character and I wish they had featured it more prominently in the actual movie.
I know what you mean. Similarly, I thought "Thousand Eyes" by Of Monsters and Men was a great choice for the brilliant Jessica Jones teaser, and I was bummed out that they didn't use it as the show's theme song (and the show's actual theme song was kind of a dud, imho).

Watching Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 right now and it's a lot better than the first time I watched (the first 20 min). I can't remember why I didn't like it. It's probably that I am now seeing the story in the context of the greater plot, so it's grabbing me more.

Some questions though.. Starlord's dad was just explaining his backstory. He said that he was floating through the universe and built up his body and decided to make it look like.. life. But he made himself look like a human dude from the 70s, what's up with that? He was saying that he still thought he was the only life in the universe.. and then he found Earth.

So.. what am I missing?

edit: Ah okay, so he lied to all his "wives" and just made himself look like their species each time, right? just finished watching

Last edited:
Some of the post-credits stingers might make less sense out of order, or just be less fun. Those are mostly teasers for the next film. The post-credits stinger for Ant-Man & The Wasp would be a spoiler for Infinity War, if you hadn't seen that yet, but that's the only one I can think of, off the top of my head.
Ouch :cringe:... Yeah that's a MAJOR spoiler, so yeah @warpus, you really shouldn't watch Ant-Man & The Wasp before watching Infinity War, unless you are going to remember to skip the Easter eggs at the end. Good catch Egon.
Watching Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 right now and it's a lot better than the first time I watched (the first 20 min). I can't remember why I didn't like it. It's probably that I am now seeing the story in the context of the greater plot, so it's grabbing me more.

Some questions though.. Starlord's dad was just explaining his backstory. He said that he was floating through the universe and built up his body and decided to make it look like.. life. But he made himself look like a human dude from the 70s, what's up with that? He was saying that he still thought he was the only life in the universe.. and then he found Earth.

So.. what am I missing?
I'd have to go back and rewatch it to see exactly what you're talking about, but my recollection is that Quill's mom was "special" to him... like the closest he ever came to having a "one true love" (that was the point of the many "Brandy" song references in the film) so maybe that's why he chose to stick with his human form. He also said something to the effect of picking a form that would be the most relatable to Peter... and who doesn't love Kurt Russell?;) He also implies IIRC that David Hasselhoff was a close second. :lol:

I don't think its too much of a spoiler to add that after you see Guardians Vol.2, that particular issue doesn't come up again, so worrying about it is purely academic. Its not part of the plot going forward.

Last edited:
He was saying that he decided what he's going to look like (i.e. a 70s dude) before he met any other life in the galaxy. Then he said he found Earth, already after he decided on his corporeal form or whatever. He said something like: "I picked the most obvious carbon form" or something like that.. which makes no sense, unless he's lying, and he just made himself look like each species he visited, when he was fathering all those children.

I am guessing that's what happened and his story about becoming 70s dude, before he ran into humans, is a lie. Unless somebody else has another spin on this?

He was saying that he decided what he's going to look like (i.e. a 70s dude) before he met any other life in the galaxy. Then he said he found Earth, already after he decided on his corporeal form or whatever. He said something like: "I picked the most obvious carbon form" or something like that.. which makes no sense, unless he's lying, and he just made himself look like each species he visited, when he was fathering all those children.

I am guessing that's what happened and his story about becoming 70s dude, before he ran into humans, is a lie. Unless somebody else has another spin on this?

It's a lie. He made himself look like a large number of other aliens in order to seduce females and father children on them in order to create the offspring he wanted to expand his own power. That's all those skeletons that Nebula and Gamora saw in the cave. All the other children who failed to touch the power that Quin could touch. So he looked like all those other aliens when he needed to.

I watched Avengers: Age of Ultron earlier today and liked it more than the last Avengers movie. Not sure what else I can say about it though. Some of the plot near the beginning didn't make sense to me, but it's a minor point. It had to do with Loki's staff so easily ending up in the hands of the Avengers, and that girl just knowing that this would lead to Ultron being born, or whatever. Also Tony Stark going down into that lab without his suit on - and it wasn't defended, there was nobody there. Seemed like a bad idea and everything just worked out fine. The movie quickly left this all behind and moved on though, and overall I liked it a decent amount.

Watched Ant Man next and thought it was pretty average. My 2nd least favourite movie so far, although it wasn't really that bad or anything. it just didn't keep me as interested as the others. Plus, wouldn't the Avengers want this tech and go after it? But that was never addressed either. I like the actor for the role though, he's great. And I should know his name, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom