1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] SV Discussion for Gathering Storm

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Stamson, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

They are busy people, they have accounts here but it is up to them

What is much more important is @Boyan_Sun is fantastic at passing across key things. We do know most things but there are little gems. The point is they are people intent on shortest times and unless you want to go to their level including getting the good maps then you will not get near their times.

A great example is Magnus, do you move him every turn you can? These people have a group of workers following Magnus around so the turn he arrives everything gets chopped and he them moves on, often in the same turn.
    This seriously speeds things up and is a key point to being faster but takes planning and practice to do well.
    I cannot thank @Boyan_Sun enough for all the help given.

2. hatman5700

hatman5700 Chieftain

@Victoria Agree on the Magnus note. From the videos I watched related to the rise and fall fastest science victory, I noticed this behavior as well as very strategic moving of Liang (and overflow back when that existed).

Also noted builders being left at 1 charge so that when pyramids popped they would go to 2 charge.

I think observing these thing was key for me to understand how to take my game to the next level.. And while I agree knowing the map and having a perfect start is not something I can control in my day to day games, these optimized decisions are still helpful to learn - helping us know what to do given certain scenarios

3. Cherenkov

Cherenkov Chieftain

Anybody know if these guys are using mods? I'm really temped to try the free walls for city states. So frustrating to roll a good deity map with cultural and scientific city states only to be conquered by the AI early. Being suzerain with Kumasi early is a huge boost to early culture especially once you get those trade routes out.

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

As far as I know they do not use any mod that changes gameplay, just display.

5. Maren

Maren Chieftain

First of all: thanks so much for all the great advice in this discussion, I've already learned a lot. I do have one problem with the Chinese videos as well as the older videos by civtrader6, which is that no matter which one I try, their seed does not produce the same map in my own game - not even if they were just made a few days ago. I wanted to just follow along one of the videos and copy exactly what is done because that's the best way for me to learn. But the seeds just never work! I have disabled all of my mods, copied their settings exactly, nothing helps. Do they use a particular mod or disable a particular DLC or something? Or do they perhaps include a savegame I could open to play along with them?

6. Boyan_Sun

Boyan_Sun Warlord

I guess you've already updated to GS, right? The map generation algorithm has changed, also added new civilizations so you cannot get the same maps as old version.

7. Maren

Maren Chieftain

Yes, I have all the DLCs apart from the Viking scenario. I'll try uninstalling and re-installing everything, maybe that will help. If you happen to know if they use any non-standard settings apart from Pangea map (I don't speak Chinese and had to guess their settings mostly), please let me know. Thanks a lot for the reply, Boyan.

8. greenblade

greenblade Chieftain

They use standard setting on Pangea map. But you must have the exact same game version and select the same civ to generate the same map.

9. Sklez

Sklez Chieftain

Is there a particular game/seed you are after? I can try to generate it myself and if it works I'll provide the save file.

10. Maren

Maren Chieftain

I've just tried again with a fresh installation and I'm still having the same problem. The seed I've been trying lately (because it's a very recent one that *should* work) is the one from this video: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av45931055 (one of Boyan's suggestions). It's -266897860 and -266897859, playing as China, disaster setting at 4. Oh, just to explain: this particular video shows a quick culture victory, not science, I'm just using it for testing purposes because it's so recent.

Please don't tell me I have to buy the Viking scenario, I never play those. :-D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  11. Sklez

Sklez Chieftain

I was able to get it no problem, must be the Viking pack.

Attached Files:

12. Maren

Maren Chieftain

Oh my goodness, it was indeed the missing scenario pack for the Vikings! I caved and bought it and now the seeds work and I can play along with video mentors. Thank you so much for your help!