1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

SVN version

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Jan 10, 2013.

1. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

If I change to protestantism, i only do it if I can run RT civic = i have Westminster. Because i'm an empire builder the stability hit would be way too big...but with few city ots pretty ok, as Genoa, with 10 cities, I got only -15 penalty!

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

This have be balanced carefully.
    It should be hard to switch to the new faith.
    Almost all of that instability comes from the remaining catholic population in your cities.

3. jekke

jekke Chieftain

hi all,

I used to play the 1.3 version a while ago (everything was ok) and recently decided to check the updates here. And so, I downloaded the svn version as suggested here. Basically I created a new folder and synched it as discussed in the OP. I got revision 1225 and there is a green sign on top of the folder icon; I suppose it indicates that the content of the folder is up to date.
    However , I cannot start the mod: I start the usual BtS, choose advanced->load a mod, the RFC Europe mod starts loading, gets to the Init Engine stage, and then I got a black screen but in the background I can see a few error messages saying things like "failed to initialize the control theme" (sorry, no screenshot). I click OK couple of times in these messages and then everything just dies.
    Any ideas why this is happening?
    Thanks!

4. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

do you have separate names for both folders? i mean the 1.3 RFCE should've been renamed.

5. jekke

jekke Chieftain

yes, surely. Basically one is RFCEurope and another RFC Europe, with the space. I can see both of them in the BtS Mods menu.

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

The folder name should be RFCEurope.
    Do you have the Steam version of Civ IV?
    Where do you have the BtS/Mods folder?

7. jekke

jekke Chieftain

Yeah, that was it. I changed the name and it works now. Thanks a lot!
    That's funny though... is it an svn (tortoise) issue or does BtS recognize mods incorrectly when the mod files are in a wrongly named folder?

...the rest is irrelevant now, but still
    Yes.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods.

8. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

"GFC error: failed to initialize the primary control theme" usually happen you have a wrong path for the mod.
    With Steam install there may be additional issues, I vaguely remember that there are 2 BtS/Mods folders and only one of them work correctly with the Steam versions. If that's the case, you might have to move mods with changed theme files to the other one.

Also, it's very important that there are no multiple/nested folders (RFCEurope/RFCEurope) in the path to the actual files of the mod.
    For example the path to the scenario file should be: Mods\RFCEurope\PrivateMaps\RFCEurope 500AD.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    (well, the relevant thing for the actual issue is to have the Resource folder in the correct place: Mods/RFCEurope/Resource/Themes/Civ4/Civ4Theme.thm, but these 2 things are the same with an SVN install)

Have fun playing! :)
    Glad to see it was only a misnamed folder!
    It's not a real issue, and definitely not connected to Tortoise or SVN.
    The theme files have to have "hardcoded" paths inside the mod, so if it can't find the files on the preset path, the game can't start. It's the same with vanilla BtS too.
    This is also true for .ini files to a lesser extent, and probably to some other ones too where path to the mod might be important.
    It's generally not a good idea to rename mod folders, especially if they are bigger mods with lots of changed files.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Mammon likes this.
  10. jekke

jekke Chieftain

Actually, is there a way to see which svn version of the mod is loaded? When I do svn update, it tells me smth like revision 1225; how can I check this in the game? If I go advanced -> about this build in the main menu, it only shows me the BtS version and the mod name, but not the mod revision number.

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

If it tells you that you have updated to revision 1225 succesfully, than you have that.
    It's separate from the ingame information, so you can't check it ingame.
    But you can update your SVN to any revision number, not only the latest one!
    There is an "update to revision" option under TortoiseSVN.
    You can check the various changes between revisions on SourceForge, in the ChangeLog.txt inside the mod folder, or in the SVN changelog thread here in the RFCE forum.