SVN version

AbsintheRed

Deity
There seem to be a little confusion about the SVN. Seemingly most users think it's hard to use, but actually it's one of the easiest things.
Thus I decided to post a few lines about the use of the SVN version of the mod.

General info:
SVN or Subversion is a software that provides an online repository for data which can be connected to a folder in one's Explorer.
From then on, modders can commit recent changes to this repository and you can update your version with it.
This way you can play with the most recent additions/fixes without waiting for the next release of the given mod.

Mod-specific info:
As I usually tend to leave totally functional revisions on the SVN, RFCE is absolutely playable with almost all the internal versions.
So you are safe to play with the SVN version between the official releases of the mod, and I intend to keep it this way with the later revisions too.
This is the mod's SVN repository, which of course always holds the latest version.

And here is the main page for RFCE in sourceforge, if someone is interested in some further info.
Under "Files" you can reach some older releases of the mod, while under "Code" you can check all the individual commits/revisions.

How to use:
First, grab any of the subversion control programs.
Under windows I prefer TortoiseSVN, it's a free and very user friendly SVN tool: http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

Then locate your Beyond the Sword\Mods folder, and create a new folder named RFCEurope there.
The name of the mod is important (actually that's true for all mods), don't name/rename the folder to anything else, not even after you already installed the mod.
At least not when you want to run it, but more on that in the useful tips section.

After you installed TortoiseSVN (or your other SVN control program), you can right-click on your Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFCEurope folder and the new option "SVN Checkout" will appear.
This will open a prompt where you enter RFCE's SVN URL: "https://svn.code.sf.net/p/rfceurope/code/RFCEurope/"
(without the "" of course)

After the download is done, you will have your RFCE checkout directory in that folder until you delete it.
So you only have to do this once, later you just right-click on that folder and select "SVN Update" to get the most recent updates.

Useful tips:
You might want to wait with updating to the latest version, until your ongoing game is finished.
Newer revisions from the SVN might break save games (usually after bigger updates/commits to the SVN repository)

If you use SVN, you don't have to download and install the later versions of the mod, you can simply keep your checkout updated.
It will update to the latest revision without any issues, even if there was a release since.

There might be two separate Beyond the Sword directories for you, the second one somewhere under My Documents\My Games.
Don't use that one for the checkout, instead the Beyond the Sword directory where you actually installed Civ IV.
Default place: Program Files\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword
AFAIK this can be different if you use the Steam version of the game.
Nevertheless, locate the directory where Civ IV was installed, and make your checkout there (Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFCEurope folder)

You can download/maintain mupltiple mods as SVN checkouts at the same time.
Making a checkout connects your folder to the repository. Not the TortoiseSVN itself (as it's a shell extension), but the folder where you made the checkout.
So you can have multiple folders, connected to different repositories with ease.

This also means, that all the info about your SVN checkout is inside the folder you made the checkout in.
Thus you can temporarly move/rename your checkout folders if necessary.
Naturally they have to be in the right place, under the right folder name when you want to run the mod.

So, in case you bump into any issues with admin rights (because of Civ IV being in the Program Files directory) the solution is easy.
Just make a checkout somewhere else, and then move your RFCEurope folder into it's correct place.

Once again, the correct path for the mod:
...\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFCEurope\PrivateMaps\RFCEurope.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
You can start RFCE (without launching your BtS) by running this CivBeyondSwordWBSave file.

Have fun! ;)

Last edited:
This thread should be sticky.

Thanks!
Yeah, a thread like this, about using SVN with the mod is long overdue
If you really think it should be sticky, could you PM The_J or another moderator about it?
(I have to run right now)

Sometimes I get writing error messages due to admin problems. Check out in a folder on the desktop instead and then move it to the correct folder.

Sometimes I get writing error messages due to admin problems. Check out in a folder on the desktop instead and then move it to the correct folder.

You can also use the "https://rfceurope.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rfceurope/" URL to create your checkout.
It will create an RFCEurope folder automatically, so you should do it under Beyond the Sword\Mods\
Maybe there can't be any admin problems if you do it that way? I'm not entirely sure what can cause those, obviously I cannot get them

Maybe there can't be any admin problems if you do it that way? I'm not entirely sure what can cause those, obviously I cannot get them

There are two Beyond the Sword/Mods directories (at least in Windows 7): one is located in Program Files, the other one in My Documents/My Games. I guess that you would run into admin problems if you tried to check out to the Program Files subdirectory.

I checked it out to the Beyond the Sword/Mods folder in My Documents/My Games and it works like a charm. It also seems that the Italian unit speech issue is gone :) Thanks for the comprehensible SVN guide!

Btw when 1.2 and 2.0 come around, can they be updated from the same SVN repository?

I checked it out to the Beyond the Sword/Mods folder in My Documents/My Games and it works like a charm. It also seems that the Italian unit speech issue is gone :) Thanks for the comprehensible SVN guide!

Btw when 1.2 and 2.0 come around, can they be updated from the same SVN repository?

Glad to hear it works perfectly for you :)
Yeah, I already fixed the venetian sounds

If you use SVN, you don't have to download and install 1.2
You can simply keep your checkout updated, it will update to the latest revision without any issues even after there is a new version out :)

On the other hand, 2.0 is different (we really need a better name for it to avoid confusion)
It will be a totally separate thing, so separate SVN checkout will be needed
In the end you will have 2 twin RFCEs in your Mods folder

For me it doesn't work, if I put on My Documents it fails to initialize the game, if I put on Program Files, the SVN can't check due to other problems

if I put on Program Files, the SVN can't check due to other problems

Issue with admin rights?
It shouldn't be too hard to solve those, there must be some options for that in each version of windows

I have to amend what I said about putting the mod in My Documents. It worked when I loaded from a save, but when starting a brand new game the mod was able to load, but RFCEurope map was not listed. Another strange thing was that after winning the game I loaded from the save, the Hall of Fame didn't show my earlier victories.

So, in the end I still ended up putting the mod into Program Files.

I basically cut-pasted the mod I had checked out to My Documents to Program Files. I have no idea how I could bypass the admin problems. I had to confirm the admin operation while doing the cut-paste, but later - even SVN update doesn't complain.

Can you download through SVN if you already have another mod through TortoiseSVN?

Can you download through SVN if you already have another mod through TortoiseSVN?

No problem. I have several SVN mod on my comp without any problems.

Definitely, no problem with it
Making a checkout connects your folder to the repository. Not the TortoiseSVN/other subversion control program you use, but the folder where you made the checkout
So you can have multiple folders, connected to different repositories with ease

Updated the OP with some additional information:

Useful tips:
You might want to wait with updating to the latest version, until your ongoing game is finished.
Newer revisions from the SVN might break save games (usually after bigger updates/commits to the SVN repository)

If you use SVN, you don't have to download and install the later versions of the mod, you can simply keep your checkout updated.
It will update to the latest revision without any issues, even if there was a release since.

There might be two separate Beyond the Sword directories for you, the second one somewhere under My Documents\My Games.
Don't use that one for the checkout, instead the Beyond the Sword directory where you actually installed Civ IV.
Default place: Program Files\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword
AFAIK this can be different if you use the Steam version of the game.
Nevertheless, locate the directory where Civ IV was installed, and make your checkout there (Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFCEurope folder)

You can download/maintain mupltiple mods as SVN checkouts at the same time.
Making a checkout connects your folder to the repository. Not the TortoiseSVN itself (as it's a shell extension), but the folder where you made the checkout.
So you can have multiple folders, connected to different repositories with ease.

This also means, that all the info about your SVN checkout is inside the folder you made the checkout in.
Thus you can temporarly move/rename your checkout folders if necessary.
Naturally they have to be in the right place, under the right folder name when you want to run the mod.

So, in case you bump into any issues with admin rights (because of Civ IV being in the Program Files directory) the solution is easy.
Just make a checkout somewhere else, and then move your RFCEurope folder into it's correct place.

Once again, the correct path for the mod:
...\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFCEurope\PrivateMaps\RFCEurope.CivBeyo ndSwordWBSave
You can start RFCE (without launching your BtS) by running this CivBeyondSwordWBSave file.

Have fun! ;)

Just some information for those with admin problems:

You can change the permission settings under the security tab of the properties window. (If you don't want to change admin rules for the whole system.)
Right-click on the RFCEurope folder, go to Properties, then the Security tab. Click Edit... and then give Full control to Users (or at least your user account).
After that you can just follow the instructions as given by AbsintheRed.

Top Bottom