1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

System requirements are out!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by stealth_nsk, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Gicusan

Gicusan Chieftain

I have many problems on Civ V, huge maps/marathon speed, post industrial era, with an GTX 770 2gb even on FullHD (1080p). It actually crashes in modern era. On 1440p is even worse. And the main reason is lack of vram, so try to buy at least a 4gb card. GTX 1060 or RX480 8gb (even better as game will be optimized for AMD cards). For an under 300 budget RX 480 is the top choice if you will play a lot of Civ6 and latest Total War games. At about 400 there is 1070 which is a great card for anything. If you can fork money for one, you will be set for quite some good 3-4 years, even on 1440p.

2. FooTooAy

FooTooAy Chieftain

This stuff IS interesting! I have a GTX 1060 (6 gb), which I got for $260. So I'm sure I'm fine for specs.

I also have an i5 6600 (not overclocked) and a 240gb SSD. I put this system together just to play games like Civ and MOO-- I don't play FPS. It runs Civ 5 just fine at maximum settings.

I'm curious, the 6600 is "6th generation," (3.3 gHz with 4 cores) -- how much better is it than 4th generation? I've seen the benchmarks, but how much does it matter for something like Civ 6?

3. upi00r

upi00r Warlord

http://superuser.com/questions/978769/are-6th-generation-intel-processors-slower-than-4th-generation

I have i7-4790k and it's pretty nice CPU :)

4. BranjoHello

BranjoHello Chieftain

If minimum is v1.0 I have v1.1. :D
    But Civ6 is so expansive at this time for me that by the time the price become affordable I'll probably have new PC also. :)

5. SaiH

SaiH Warlord

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 1GB GDDR5. Does anybody have an opinion on that card regarding Civ6?

6. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

well, it'll be somewhere between recommended and minimum, but the 1Gb will be a bottleneck if you try to play larger maps.

7. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

I just checked my machine, which also has a 650M, using the minimum requirements option, and it said it would run ok (4 stars out of 10). Did you select recommended requirements or minimum?

8. Ruthless4u

Ruthless4u Chieftain

9. Feylskar

Feylskar Chieftain

10. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Your post made me curious so I did a comparison on cpuboss between the 6600K and my 4670K. The benchmarks for the 6600K are higher but seems like there is very minimal difference in real world performance. I'm not sure if the socket has changed since Haswell, if it has then obviously the newer processor is better for future proofing.

11. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

This chart is a little relieving regarding my CPU, I'm in tier 4 which doesn't seem too bad. Won't be playing too many huge maps though, except one for the achievement. Even in Civ5 huge maps are a no-no for me, or even large maps.

edit: Oh shoot, I misread, I'm actually tier 5. :( Anyone know if a top of the line video card will make up for processor speed in any way? I have a Geforce GTX 970.

12. Ovarwa

Ovarwa Chieftain

Hi,

Not that much.

Anyway,

Ken

13. evanaurora

evanaurora Warlord

my intel i5 processor is 2.2 GHz......

should i just. not buy the game? will it be completely unplayable? i know almost nothing about this stuff beyond 'how to run dxdiag' so.

14. Chinese American

Chinese American Hamtastic Knight

My issue is how well does the game and UI scale to (dual) UHD 4k (2160p) monitors?

15. rastak

rastak Emperor

I am curious on that also.

16. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

Shorter system life?

-blinks- [looks at system that's been running since 2009 and is still able to run today's games fine albeit with two graphic cards updates over that period (bought top of the line cpu back in the day).]

Beg to differ, guy. Been keeping my GPU at the top end of mid range while using the base of my i7 system as the "system." NO short system life here... all GPUs retired in working (and salable) order as I don't overclock. My system currently STILL beats the recommended for this 2016 game.

And btw there is only ONE fan running in my case right now- the CPU's. The throttle for the fan on the GPU is very low most of the time as I bought with an eye toward speed, low power consumption, and low heat.

:rolleyes:

17. SaiH

SaiH Warlord

Thank you. I usually play on standard size maps so I think it will be ok.
    What does bottleneck mean here? Slower loading times?

18. Acken

Acken Deity

It means its the component draging everything down.

19. Ovarwa

Ovarwa Chieftain

Hi,

I'm not saying that *your* system isn't running.

I *am* talking about statistics over many, many systems. You know, averages and stuff like that.

Obviously, there's nothing at all merely average or ordinary about you or your system, so anything I have to say is totally inapplicable.

Unless there is and it is: Congratulations on taking good care of your system. Congratulations on doing well. A desktop tends to last 3-8 years, so your experience remains within the top end of normal. Similarly, my laptop from 2011 works perfectly, though I cannot upgrade its graphics. Go us.

There is value to pushing a system to its limit, getting the most bang for your buck *now*. But it is also known amongst those who think about reliability over thousands of systems rather than just one, that systems running at lower temperatures last longer *in general*, and there is value in being part of that population too.

I notice that you chose not to overclock, which also helps longevity. And I also notice that you are choosing midrange graphics, which tend to run cooler, which allows you to give up some performance in order to get money, longevity and the bliss of less fan noise. And while some folks are worrying about whether they need a 6th (now 7th!) generation cpu, you are happily chugging away with something from 2009.

In other words, eye roll notwithstanding, you are pretty much agreeing with me on all points. :)

Anyway,

Ken
    ----

If I were a desktop guy, I would do exactly what you did: Swap out graphics subsystem.

20. Canabrava

Canabrava Prince

I have a Asus K45VM note:

- I7 3610QM
    - 8 GB ram
    - Nvidia GT 630M 2 GB ram

This nvidia can run Civ6?