T_McC03 - Guns and Bowses (Vanilla C4, Emperor)

But may be we should build Mearket/Grocery in Madrid first, as it is shrine city and they will improve our economy.

We are not going to figth a new war for some time yet.

Turn summary - 1000 - 1100 AD

I didn't trade with Cyrus. Instead I did something worse! I converted us to Buddhism and Organized Religion at the start of my set because we have a LOT of infrastructure to build. We are spiritual, might as well use it. Everyone is cautious now.

Built National Epic in Timbuktu, then hired 2 scientists giving us a nice 34 GPP/turn.

Kept serfdom for 5 more turns to help clear more jungle for cottaging, then swapped to slavery and whipped the courthouses in the two no-hammer cities (would probably just let them grow after this) and a forge in Seville. Other courthouses finished and our economy is now breaking even at 80% science. Madrid is just finishing off a forge, and the heroic epic isn't built yet.

I finished off guilds with the intention of trying to trade for engineering, but no such trade is available. HC has broken our paper monopoly, and is most likely shooting for education -> economics.

Spawned a scientist on the 10th turn. He can finish off education which is currently 1161/2808 (8 turns), or build an academy. I leave this decision to the next player, and we can change our religious status and civics again if we so wish.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/T_McC03_AD-1100.Civ4SavedGame

got it, but would like to wait for more input before playing. Thus, play tomorrow

I believe I got skipped in there somewhere??

OK I've got it and can play now. Looks like builder turns anyway and head for GP-Chem.

Pre: OK I thought a lot about the use of the Scientist. I decide to use him to finish off Edu. Start Philo. I want to do Liberalism for PP which is on the way to rifles and will give an econ boost. Also free religion will give a nice research diplo boost.

1110: Whip a univ in Seville for 4 citizens. This will be a big research city. Whip a library in cordoba.

1120: Madrid Forge->Market followed by grocer (It has 14 base from the shrine). Cordoba Library->Market. Seville Uni->Market.

1130: Looks like Cy is getting ready for something as his power is shooting up.

1140: Sal has GP and Huy now has Edu but not Philo. We should get Liberalism first. If only we could do some trades.

1150: Philo in Liberalism in 10. Sal Now has Paper. We could trade Edu for Eng + some other stuff but I don't want him to grab Liberalism 1st. Might trade in about 5 turns.

1160: Cy now has Eng. but has his reasons for not trading. This worries me but ge is quite backward tech wise.

1170 Huy now has Philo. This will be close for liberalism. We have 6 turns left but I need to pick up some gold for deficit research. Cy will now trade Eng. Paper CoL and Drama get us Eng.+WM+80gp.

1180: OK Liberalism in 4 with some adjustments. We only pick up worst enemy modifier with Sal for the Cy trade. I am a bit nervous as we are vulnerable now and for the next 15-20 turns until we pick up GP and Chem.

1190: Cy picks up on our weakens and demands 60gp. since it will not delay liberalism I give in. He is building up for some action. Hopefully it goes toward Sal.

1200: Liberalism in 2. I would take PP for the commerce boost and work towards rifles. I guess our next wars will be either Cy or Louis as they are both tech backward and nearby. I think Louis would be best. He has gold and silver and must have built some wonders. I think Cy will be getting into trouble himself soon.

Attachments

• power curve0000.JPG
    power curve0000.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 218
Alright, I'm back after three days. I'm surprised we haven't gone past me twice in the rotation yet. :lol:

Agreed, Guilds was a poor choice at the time. Apparently I can't read an or gate. But I stand by the general thought that we want everyone doing their own research, that a slow tech pace is very important for us in this game. I researched Machinery so as not to trade away Paper.

Now it does seem like the AIs aren't combining on research well, and we've gotten snookered by it. If we can't trade for Gunpowder, we can't use the free tech from Liberalism on Chemistry (which is what I thought we should go for). We could take Printing Press and head for Rifles, but getting to Rifles requires not only PP, but Replaceable Parts (which requires Banking, which requires Guilds) and Rifling (which requires Gunpowder). So ... take PP, start researching Gunpowder ourselves, and hope for someone to show up with Banking. We should be able to trade for Banking without giving up PP, leaving us with the only path to Rifles in the short-term.

Now I'll actually look at the save and see what I've already gotten wrong ... :)

got it playing now

I was purposely waiting for some input by the way

save

Pre-Turn
check things, trades are still rare to get
swap Santiago to a lighthouse

1. 1210AD
zzz

2. 1220AD

take PP as suggested, it is the most expensive tech anyway
head for gunpowder

start HE in Timbuktu

decide to revolt to free religion so that we have better relations

3. 1230AD
Madrid has a grocer and we are even at 90% science

4. 1240AD
Louis demands edu, I decline and trade a lux for fish to make him happier
we better get our defenses up soon

we have a GS now, he can only research useless techs, bu an academy in our capital looks pretty

tempting

trade a banana to Saladin and sell our WM for 50 gold

5. 1250AD
great, Huayna and Saladin now are willing to trade banking

6. 1260AD
we get gunpowder, next to RP and rifles
due in 6 turns

7. 1270AD
finish some chops to help HE and FP
hmm, Saladin now has PP as well...we are even in tech there

8.1280AD
HE done, now for muskets...

9. 1290AD
ask Huayna to spare 100gold for his friend and he does that
keep our 100% research

10. 1300AD
get FP in Madrid, now that helps us as the deficit reseach is down to -26gpt
RP is done in the IT

I guess it's time to prepare for the next war
with rifles and cats...

That seems to have gone well. I agree that our next target should be Louis. We'll definitely have a large unit-advantage over him and may not even have to use any suicide Cats, if we are getting Rifle vs. Musket.

Do we want to buy Cyrus in on our side? He seems to have built up a large army and needs to find a use for it. I could suggest he attacks Saladin, but he probably wouldn't listen. :)

Agree that the GS should build an Academy in Timbuktu. We seem to be heading for Oxford there as well.

Turn 0, optimyes some trades.
Traded with Cyrus for Optics.
T1 replaceble parts- Nationalism.

First, Nationalism is a good civic for as to use to quicly get army of riffles.
Louis got rifles my last turn, but no one else yet.
Bunch of drafted riffles will let as to attack Louis fast and may be take a city-2 befor he upgraded to riffles himself.
I put our 3rd and most remote from front production city on Taj Maxal.

Narionalism - rifling.
We got GS, sleep in capital and offering help with chemistry.
After initial rifle wave we will need chemistry to crank firrles defended cities.

Mostly was MM cities for more grow.

I am lost why we did build heroic in capital? I did believe we had discussion about putting oxford in capital and heroic in Madrid and forbitten in Paris. No one object, but everyhting builded in different places, not according to plan.
Now capital can not use national epic or it underuse heroic epic and can not parry heroic with any of other military national wanders.

I got it. I'll wait a few hours to let other folks look at the save and comment.

Thankfully, Mutineer misspoke. Louis is still defending with Longbows, even though he has Gunpowder. :confused: Short-term plans: We have enough Catapults, and until Louis comes up with Rifles we shouldn't need to suicide any of them. We should always be able to get real good odds on an attack. Between the highly promoted units we already have, and the units Timbuktu can build, we should be able to start capturing cities on my turn. I plan to go 100% cash immediately after Rifling comes in to upgrade our assault Longbows and maybe the already-built Muskets. I actually want to pull a couple of the units garrisoning the ex-Spanish cities up to the front lines, so maybe those Muskets will just backfill. More expensive, but better-promoted units and we should have enough cash.

Not sure we'll be able to use Nationhood since we don't have much of a happiness buffer in most of our cities. I'll think it over once Rifling comes in and decide whether we can afford to drop Beauracracy in favor of drafting. I'm thinking we can probably get 2 turns of drafting in, pulling units from any city with Barracks. The Barracks go a long way to covering the draft unhappiness, so we could stay in Nationhood for ~10 turns until the penalty wears off. I doubt we'll be able to draft any city more than once due to happiness. If we can get 6 Rifles, it'll probably be worth the loss of hammers and commerce in Timbuktu. (We do get ~12 gpt back due to Nationhood being a cheap civic.)

I'll leave the Taj build continue, we should be capturing Marble during the first few turns of the war.

My useal way to use draft is to use 20% culture slider for draft in peace time and when go to war Draft unhappiness get replaced by War wareness unhappiness. Work pretty good in my book.

Yeah, I was hoping to get away with 10% lux. That restricts us to 1 unit/city. The first unit may not require the lux tax at all, but if we can tolerate going to 20% we should be able to do 2 units/city and still only stay in Nationhood for ~12 turns.

Depending on what we capture and how quickly we capture it from France, the Barracks Happiness may be real useful even in peacetime.Every city being two sizes bigger may compensate for the loss of the Beauracracy bonuses.

We invested a lot in pushing this attack out now, so we need to do whatever it takes to beat France decisively now, or we are not winning this game. On the plus side, due to the slow AI tech pace we might only actually need to tech as far as Steel to finish the game off. So I'm fine with letting our tech stagnate for a while.

1400 AD (0)
Start to shuffle troops in anticipation of attacking Louis. The war starts at Rheims.

Whip Market in Cordoba, since by the time enough hammers are put into the build to knock the pop cost down to three, the city could grow 3 times.

Slide a Theater in front of the Taj in Santiago. That way once we do go to war we can continue to work all of the high-hammer tiles. (The city only had +1 happiness)

1410 AD (1)
Temple completes, so fire the scientists in Timbuktu and move to 1-turn Muskets. We'll need to drag these guys along to garrison our new French cities.

1420 AD (2)
Nothing interesting on the diplomacy front. The only tech that is available is Music.

1430 AD (3)
Rifling in, point us towards Economics at 0%. We don't need Chemistry until we want to attack someone who has Rifles, and Economics is part of the long path to Assembly Line (Infantry). Free Market is always good as well.

In three turns I'll have enough gold to upgrade our assault Longbows, so the war starts in 4 turns. Timbuktu can build Rifles in 2 w/o Beauracracy, so that's good. Toledo requires 10% lux to draft ... Seville likewise, although once the Barracks complete we can draft it twice ... Cordoba can be drafted without lux ... as can Madrid ... Barcelona does not require lux ... Santiago requires no lux ... Salamanca can be drafted now. Pull trigger and revolt to Nationhood.

Heh. That cost us 40 gpt. :blush: Madrid, Barcelona, and Santiago take one for the team.

Cancel Clams for Bananas deal with Louis, we have our own Clams. Instead we'll take his 9 gpt for a few turns.

1440 AD (4)
Cyrus demands we stop trading with Toku. I tell him to get lost. We don't share a border with either of them.

Cordoba takes a draft and a whip this round. I want to leave about three Muskets/Rifles on our NW shore in case Louis responds with boats. Salamanca also eats a draft, as does Toledo. From here on I think we'll have to use the lux tax. But that does give us a nice, quick 4 Rifles to add to the assault. (Two will stay on our N shore.)

1450 AD (5)
Hit Huyana up for 40 gold so we can upgrade one more LB to a Rifle. The war starts next turn. :hammer:

No drafting this turn. I'll wait until next turn when I anticipate raising the lux tax.

1460 AD (6)
Seville gets drafted after the Barracks complete. Santiago also gets drafted. Lux to 10%. No further drafting this round as our prime candidates need to whip in Theaters first to make best use of the lux tax.

1470 AD (7)
Tokugawa declares war on Huyana. [party] That removes the only civ Louis could have tried to buy in against us.

We capture Rheims without loss. It comes with Forge, Bank, and Courthouse, plus 166 gold. Louis' counter appears to be a handful of Knights.

1480 AD (8)
Shuffling troops to attack Besancon next turn.

Heh. Make about 120 gold buying Huyana's WM and selling it to other people. :lol: Use our ill-gotten wealth to speed up Economics by a turn.

No units drafted this round. Timbuktu shows -2 WW. We have a bit of a cushion there, but the lux tax is heading for 20% sooner rather than later. Sal is bragging about Cannons, so he'll have Grens as well.

1490 AD (9)
Capture Besancon at the cost of a Rifle (lost at 91%). Actually captured city with a Catapult. :lol: We score another 88 gold and the city comes with a Courthouse.

Louis has a small stack in the general vicinity of Timbuktu. The capture of Besancon opens the roads for our Rifles to attack ... lose a Rifle to kill the stack of 4 enemy. And somehow the WW in Timbuktu went down.

1500 AD (10)
Whip Theaters in Barcelona and Salamanca, the lux tax likely will have to be set to 20% in the next couple of turns.

We have Economics and start on Constitution. No beakers invested. We revolt to Free Market.

WW is now 3 in Timbuktu. The Musket N of the city is part of the garrison, it just sauntered out to kill the last French Mace in the previous turn.

Cordoba could be drafted on the IT. Left it for the next player to decide. Louis hasn't shown up in boats, nor does he appear to be building his UU. I have no idea why, he has the technology. He also discovered Replaceable Parts last turn, so Rifles will be soonish. Although his research will soon start to be curtailed by losing core cities. :)

If we get the chance, I think we should build a city on the red dot. A couple of hills, 4 grass (2 river) and some water tiles should more than pay for itself.

Attachments

• T_McC03 AD-1500.zip
    218.1 KB · Views: 171
We need to atack faster, draft more. WE absolutly do not need economic, as we become biggest and if we want to slow down world tech we should revolt to Merchantinilism. We now have very few trade partners and we provide a lot of cities for them to profit.
uberfish, we should avoide steel as we can not build cannons, as they need iron.
We only should research steel when we go stright to artilery.

WE should rump up drafting and speed up our military campain, trying to finish Louis befor he get riffles himself. I do not care about reseach at the moment.

You know my opinion on founding filler cities in 1500, we are already going to have to pay for some of these French piles of crap like Besancon, at least we are capturing THOSE with intact courthouses :) But I will clear some of the jungle around there since workers have nothing better to do.

1500 AD (0) - whip grocer in Seville, it's unhappy anyway and don't want to keep the population too high. Draft cordoba once. Leave timbuktu alone.

1505 AD (1) - Saladin offers fish for bananas, why not. Health issue in timbuktu fixed by this. I stall its growth at the new health cap, there's no point growing any larger when we will have more WW soon.

I gather the uninjured units to attack towards the French gold mines at Orleans-Rouen. Meanwhile, Toku takes a crappy border city from HC.

1525 AD (5) - Bombard and attack Orleans, it had a lot of units in it and there's 1 catapult left.

1530 AD (6) - Louis spawns a great artist in Orleans. Too bad for him there's still only 1 catapult left and our troops aren't great art appreciators and execute him when they take the city.

crappy UI selected everything and moved it into the city, reload this turn's autosave.

We have Constitution, since Louis has chemistry now I follow him there. I used our scientist to research it. Drafted a few guys then switch to representation and free speech. Which actually loses us money. Hmm, free speech was probably a mistake as we have few towns but we can switch it back to bureaucracy or nationhood in 5 turns anyway.

1535 AD (7) - take out Rouen, why does Louis build his cities so close together? I debate razing it, but it has a fish so I keep. Used our sleeping scientist to research chemistry so that we can make some of our own grenadiers to cover our riflemen against counterattacking grenadiers, and proceed towards steel. I could pillage Louis' horses, but given that our army is all riflemen I'd rather he have the option to train knights instead of grenadiers.

Free speech at least gives us a quick border pop at Rheims, bringing the marble online and speeding up Taj Mahal. Put Santiago in food deficit to reduce the construction time to 8 turns but I bet we miss it anyway.

1545 AD (9) - Cyrus demands we give him rifling. Not likely. I've taken the precaution of getting rid of the jungle east of Timbuktu so any possible attacking troops can't shelter there. Building roads too.

1550 AD (10) - Our forces arrive outside Tours. Still no sign of any grenadiers from Louis, although I have killed some of his UU.

11 rifles, 7 cats and a medic in that stack, tours is ours next turn. Please raze Grenoble, we have enough crappy cities already.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/T_McC03_AD-1550.Civ4SavedGame

Mutineer said:
uberfish, we should avoide steel as we can not build cannons, as they need iron.

Dammit, I didn't realise they needed iron. So weird to be able to build catapults and artillery but not cannons... we can change the research topic then. Or going straight to artillery isn't a bad move either

I disagree on mercantilism just yet, our capital has 20 commerce worth of foreign trade routes. May be worth switching after we finish off france.

Top Bottom