Tactics and Strategy Turns 40-50

Read the plan I previously posted. Horse city needs a monument because without one it's tiles are very poor. Sheep city has enough food in the small cross to last for a while already and grow to at least size 5.
Ok, I understand. I'll post in the other thread about relevance to city debate. Thanks:goodjob:

If built east of the horse, that city would not need monument for a long while.

Just to make this is clear for everyone. The :science: we produce each turn only gets committed towards a tech when end turn is pressed.

For example last turn we were 1 turn from pottery. In the tech part the dark green bit is what will be spent towards out tech choice when end turn is pressed.

Spoiler :

So if we had changed our tech before ending turn we would not have pottery.

Once I pressed end turn, we immediately get pottery and our score goes up. I then get a prompt for what tech to research next, and I chose Writing. But the :science: will not be allocated for next turn towards this until end turn is press next turn. So if I change the research to something else before pressing end turn then that tech, and not writing, will get the bulbs.

So the green bar on writing will not be spent until we end turn:
Spoiler :

Keeping writing to our choice, and then switiching to mysticism, ending turn, and switching back to writing, has the advantage of hiding the fact that we are researching mysticism from demographic analysts like oyzar.

The turn player just needs to remember to change techs at the right time. If it's me doing the turn you can guarantee this will be remembered... :)

p.s. The 2 turns on writing were spent before we started on Pottery, remember? It's not been spent instead of a turn on mysticism, we can still get mysticism in 3 turns.

Of course sorry I thought we got pottery last turn...it is the tech you have when you end turn that counts not after ending turn....and of course we donot even need to change before new turn...all it matters is changing before we hit end turn in next turn..

Where is that scout going next?

I feel he has to scout south so we can see if there is any seafood or copper there, before he moves on...

Are we moving him 1 tile at a time? If yes, then flood plain next?

I think 1 tile at a time is a bit of a overkill in overcaution right now. Instead the convention should be to end the move in a defensive terrain.

We still have options. We can send Cavalieros the following:
All our peoples can rejoice!!! We have reached a compromise with the younglings. Our proposal is:
We will halt our valuable production and instead immediately construct a ship to sail eastward. If we encounter a neighbor to the east, we will represent both our interests to our new potential allies, in exchange for your agreement not to cross our borders. This way, we can maintain favorable relations, and the young ones will be assuaged. Otherwise our young warriors complain that they favor "War to the knife" and our peoples will never be able to trade or cooperate in the future.
Alternatively, if we are all willing to concede that Cavalieros will cross borders, we can say:
Our older elders have prevailed in internal negotiations! All of our people rejoice!!! Of course our friends, Cavalieros can pass through our borders on their way to discovering a new ally for our co-operative empire, even if this means a phoney Declaration of War. However we ask that Cavalieros do not take this action, as we have already sent our sailors East, many moons ago, and hopefully, our brave sailors will reach a third nation soon. This way we will have a third friend to join our illustrious alliance!!!

I think 1 tile at a time is a bit of a overkill in overcaution right now. Instead the convention should be to end the move in a defensive terrain.

I disagree. One mistake and he is at the very least wounded if not dead.

The whole advantage with scouts is that they can move two tiles - that is, if they encounter danger they can retreat if necessary. It is a big mistake to end a move with a scout in unknown territory undefended by a warrior. An encounter with a barb warrior usually results in the scout being killed.

Even if a scout survives an animal attack the number of lost moves is just not worth it.

Move the scout one tile at a time, retreating or going for cover only if absolutely necessary or better still use the scout with a warrior, which is a must when close to tundra or jungle.

By the way...I almost forgot... we should be able to tell whether Cavaleiros have met anyone else from the espionaze screen...if we have more exp on them then they have met someone else

Let's try and keep diplomacy related talk out of the tactics threadn things are hard enough to track already!

Regarding the scout, we need to scout south first as that will inform our location choices. We aren't in a hurry and we know there is a bear in the region, so 1 tile a turn makes sense.

After he has done the vital mapping we can take more risks with him if we want, but no need to before then.

Some points for next turn...

The warrior on forest hill should move 1E and fortify on the other forest hill, so he will be fogbusting the area better..when the warrior from capital arrives and fog busts he can move to the west.

The warrior near horsee spot could fortify 1W of horse (settling spot) when he heals.

The scout can aim for forest hill by the sea...i think he can move 1 move a turn if no cover, but 2 move when forest hill available

I disagree. One mistake and he is at the very least wounded if not dead.

The whole advantage with scouts is that they can move two tiles - that is, if they encounter danger they can retreat if necessary. It is a big mistake to end a move with a scout in unknown territory undefended by a warrior. An encounter with a barb warrior usually results in the scout being killed.

Even if a scout survives an animal attack the number of lost moves is just not worth it.

Move the scout one tile at a time, retreating or going for cover only if absolutely necessary or better still use the scout with a warrior, which is a must when close to tundra or jungle.

At least the scout should have moved both tiles in the open plains area, where there were no risk. I may lean to agree on the area outside however, just feel we lost 2-3 turns there.

We need to decide if we want to go for polytheism or not, gambling for hinduism, or head for writing, sailing or iron working. What we pick after myst, will be the cornerstone for the treaty with Team Cav.

The warrior on forest hill should move 1E and fortify on the other forest hill, so he will be fogbusting the area better..when the warrior from capital arrives and fog busts he can move to the west.

The warrior near horsee spot could fortify 1W of horse (settling spot) when he heals.

The scout can aim for forest hill by the sea...i think he can move 1 move a turn if no cover, but 2 move when forest hill available

I agree with that. I'm being cautious with the scout because we know there is a bear in the region.

@Provo: read the turn logs! We didn't lose any turns of movement (like when we sent warrior 2 out the wrong way for example...)

We need to decide if we want to go for polytheism or not, gambling for hinduism, or head for writing, sailing or iron working. What we pick after myst, will be the cornerstone for the treaty with Team Cav.

I see no point in going for either sailing or iron working after mysticism. Writing gives us two things:
  1. The ability to build a library and get an academy.
  2. The ability to have an open borders agreement with Cavaleiros.
Polytheism gives us Hinduism if we finish it before anyone else. We really have no idea how well we are positioned for that race.

I lean towards writing at this point.

I also agree with Writing first, sailing can come later

1/20/09 6:24 am HUSch (Mad S) Logged out
1/20/09 6:15 am HUSch (Mad S) Score increased to 95
1/20/09 6:14 am HUSch (Mad S) Logged in
1/20/09 6:12 am Provolution Logged in
1/20/09 5:43 am Renata [Cavaleiros] Logged out
1/20/09 5:26 am Renata [Cavaleiros] Logged in
1/20/09 5:09 am Renata [Cavaleiros] Logged out
1/20/09 5:05 am Renata [Cavaleiros] Score increased to 110
1/20/09 5:03 am Renata [Cavaleiros] Logged in

Hmm, MS score has gone up 5pts but they havn't ended their turn yet... they must have built a city (at last). I havn't logged in yet to look but I'm sure this must be what's happened.

Actions for turn 47:
Warrior 1: Fortify until healed.
Warrior 2: 1E
Warrior 3: SW
Scout: W > wait (there's another bear lurking around)
Worker 2: Finish chop
Workboat: Continue to explore

Here is a proposed maneuver to squeeze one more move out of our scout:

Move Scout W- if an animal is right next to him retreat. If there isn't an animal next to the Scout move warrior 2 NW onto the desert hill. This will reveal if our scout can safely move another space.

Move Scout W- if an animal is right next to him retreat. If there isn't an animal next to the Scout move warrior 2 NW onto the desert hill. This will reveal if our scout can safely move another space.

This makes a lot of sense - a good example of using a scout in combination with a warrior.

This is risky...we could lose the warrior if the bear is there...

Top Bottom