Taurus

Taurus 1.02

TXT_KEY_TRAIT_INDUSTRIOUS_PEDIA is garbage. It says it's the only trait to have 8 leaders, which is wrong (9); and the editorialization about Ind/Phi being seen by the game designers as "obviously overpowered" doesn't belong there either. Ind/Fin is near the same level and it was given to a leader who has among the best uniques too.

I guess I'll at least remove that inaccurate paragraph. For serious strategy advice, all of them would have to be rewritten. I had never actually read those before. "The Statue of Zeus world wonder is very good to have--mainly so that someone you're attacking doesn't have it." 💡 Could be straight out of an Attacko guide.

There's a problem with the horde event. It often doesn't display a notification that the units spawned, even to the player that's the target. See save for an example (used 1.02 named to Taurus).

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-2935.CivBeyondSwordSave
    176.3 KB · Views: 5
In this savegame, the Archers are already present on an unrevealed tile. They may have been moving north for several turns. The recipient of the event could then be a civ that you had, at least at the time, not yet met. The AI code doesn't seem to care much about targeting a nearby city. To save me some typing, this old post came up in a search:
When barb event barbs spawn, a certain city will be placed as their target. This city does not necessarily belong to the Civ the event happened to. They will ignore everything and make a beeline to their intended target, making no deviations from the shortest route, only fighting if something is directly on their way. So they can well pass 1 tile away from an unprotected city and not take it.

Only the barb event barbs act like this, the normal barbs play by different rules.
I'm suspecting that the UI is working as intended; can't tell from the save. Regarding game balance/ fairness, it's of course terrible.

Will you change it so that all players receive an event log notification (or at minimum, the one being targeted)? This seems like the sort of bug/oversight correction that would fit under Bull (like overflow to gold).
Speaking of the event log, what do you think of swapping the chat log tab with the combat log, or moving it completely to the right? It's literally useless in single player.

I'd like to keep the game rules the same as the other UI mods. Well, the same as BAT, which already includes some few bugfixes beyond those in BULL and BUFFY. I feel more is gained by keeping things fairly straightforward in that respect than by making a few unobjectionable random improvements. (On a side note, BUFFY version 3 had actually changed the tech requirement of the Vedic Aryans from Polytheism to Priesthood. Somehow BUFFY 4 or 5 reverted that change.)

The layout of the Turn Log is unfortunately implemented in the EXE; the available Python code only places the button for opening the Log.

Happens whenever opening the wonder tab with the bug option on in this save. Haven't had this happen before with this mod, though I have encountered something like this in an older version of More Naval AI.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 42
  • AutoSave_BC-2250.CivBeyondSwordSave
    236.5 KB · Views: 4
If the start game with resource display option is turned on, the first game I start after loading the program always has the option toggled on, but it often doesn't take effect. Has to be turned off then turned back on. But any other game I start after will have it work correctly.
Can you fix the old bug from bug that if advanced score layout is enabled, the city count overlaps with the player name until another civ is met? Screenshot shows both problems.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 40
I can't reproduce the issue with the Resource Display. Since it works correctly for you sometimes, I suspect that there is some race condition, i.e. that my code tries enabling the Resource Display at a point when the graphics engine is not guaranteed to be ready, and that it only works out on rather slow PCs (by today's standards) such as my own. I'm now delaying the activation of the Resource Display - though I guess it's only a quarter-second delay, not quite an eternity even for a computer. Anyway, if you're able to update manually to the current state of the 1.02 branch (comparison between that and v1.01), it would be interesting for me to know whether the problem still occurs. Or when I eventually upload the v1.02 release; could still take another stab at it in v1.03. If you do update from Git, please make sure not to miss the updated CvGameCoreDLL.dll. Maybe easiest to just get the whole folder (to be renamed to just "Taurus" after unzipping, and the SDK folder can be deleted) and to delete or replace your local existing Mods\Taurus.

The text placement – not sure what is going wrong there. Might have to do with the leader name being left-aligned while most of the other columns are right-aligned, maybe that just requires a small offset. I've moved it 4 pixels to the left. The result looks the same on my end as when the Align-Left BUG option is unchecked on the Scores tab. Still crammed, but at least readable, and maybe as intended.

I can't reproduce the issue with the Resource Display. Since it works correctly for you sometimes, I suspect that there is some race condition, i.e. that my code tries enabling the Resource Display at a point when the graphics engine is not guaranteed to be ready, and that it only works out on rather slow PCs (by today's standards) such as my own. I'm now delaying the activation of the Resource Display - though I guess it's only a quarter-second delay, not quite an eternity even for a computer. Anyway, if you're able to update manually to the current state of the 1.02 branch (comparison between that and v1.01), it would be interesting for me to know whether the problem still occurs. Or when I eventually upload the v1.02 release; could still take another stab at it in v1.03. If you do update from Git, please make sure not to miss the updated CvGameCoreDLL.dll. Maybe easiest to just get the whole folder (to be renamed to just "Taurus" after unzipping, and the SDK folder can be deleted) and to delete or replace your local existing Mods\Taurus.

The text placement – not sure what is going wrong there. Might have to do with the leader name being left-aligned while most of the other columns are right-aligned, maybe that just requires a small offset. I've moved it 4 pixels to the left. The result looks the same on my end as when the Align-Left BUG option is unchecked on the Scores tab. Still crammed, but at least readable, and maybe as intended.
The text display worked, but the resource fix didn't appear to make any discernible difference. Unless you're using a toaster oven, my computer probably isn't much faster than yours. It's an i3 2.3 ghz with 6gb ram.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 33
I think there's a problem in the bug mod (noticed this behavior in More Naval AI too) with the way it counts down alerts and mouseovers for unhappiness, production decay, maybe more. It gives a value of +1 more than it should be. In this save, if you end that turn, the alert the following turn will say 1 turn until persepolis gets a happy citizen back. But, the citizen is already happy on that turn. The dll is the most recent 1.02.

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-0410.CivBeyondSwordSave
    516.9 KB · Views: 9
I play with wide city bar always disabled and sometimes when starting a new game, the effect will be applied even though it's not checked. Have to toggle it on then off.

It's not possible to turn the sevopedia off - the toggle doesn't do anything. The sort lists toggle to off does work for as long as the game is open, but next time the game is run it will be active even though the option is off.

Sorry to just vanish for a few months. Catching up with the reported issues – for whoever is still playing: I've delayed the handling of the Resource Display for a little longer, but I'm not expecting that to fix the problem. I've also decided not to do anything with the BULL options for additional Sentry missions and Governor-trained workers. Would both affect network-compatibility with (plain) BULL, and that gets too laborious to work around.
I think there's a problem in the bug mod (noticed this behavior in More Naval AI too) with the way it counts down alerts and mouseovers for unhappiness, production decay, maybe more. It gives a value of +1 more than it should be. In this save, if you end that turn, the alert the following turn will say 1 turn until persepolis gets a happy citizen back. But, the citizen is already happy on that turn. The dll is the most recent 1.02.
Persepolis has two unhappy citizens from Slavery upon loading the savegame (t309). At the start of t310, the anger counter decreases to 30 (Marathon speed), meaning that one unhappy citizen goes away. At the same time, the alert assumes that the counter will hit 30 next turn, meaning that Persepolis will become happy on t311. This is incorrect, and it seems you're right that the count is simply off by one, i.e. the alert needs to check whether the current counter minus one is divisible by the anger duration. I've made that change, seems to work correctly with your savegame and also in another quick test I've run myself. Same problem with Draft and Defiance anger. The production decay tooltip worked correctly in my test. I'm aware of the city bar indicators for anger and bad health not always getting updated immediately when a bonus resource is lost or acquired. Might be what you were thinking of with the comment about incorrect unhappiness mouse-over. Or you meant what you wrote; anyway, I've fixed that known problem with the city bar (by copying my bugfix from AdvCiv).

The issue with the wide city bars I've been able to reproduce and fix (at least on my end).

Sevopedia is a known issue. Turning it off should be possible so long as the Pedia isn't accessed directly from the opening menu without having started a game first. The BUG options system is only initialized when a savegame is loaded or a new game started; until then, the default choice applies. Annoyingly, once Sevopedia has been accessed prior to BUG initialization, it'll remain active until BtS is restarted. I think the BUG modders were aware of this issue too, but never really managed to fix it. I've at least added a warning to the hover text of the Sevopedia option now (copied from AdvCiv where I already had that in place).

So those few changes and those I had already pushed to GitHub in the fall are now included in v1.02.

If I play the earth 18 civs scenario with no tech brokering as elizabeth, this python error generates on launch. If that option is off, it doesn't:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "BugEventManager", line 361, in _handleDefaultEvent
File "Civ4lerts", line 853, in onChangeWar
File "Civ4lerts", line 881, in checkIfIsAnyOrHasMetAllTeams
File "Civ4lerts", line 887, in check
KeyError: 12

Not getting that result, at least not on turn 0 if I launch like in the attached screenshot.
Seems that a war is declared or ended at a time when the alerts are only halfway initialized. I wonder what war that is. The wars involving the Barbarians should get declared before the alerts are registered; also, if that were the problem, then the error should occur in every game.
Well, if I can't reproduce it, I should still be able to add a safeguard against such a Python error; i.e. do nothing if not yet properly initialized.

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 7
Not getting that result, at least not on turn 0 if I launch like in the attached screenshot.
Seems that a war is declared or ended at a time when the alerts are only halfway initialized. I wonder what war that is. The wars involving the Barbarians should get declared before the alerts are registered; also, if that were the problem, then the error should occur in every game.
Well, if I can't reproduce it, I should still be able to add a safeguard against such a Python error; i.e. do nothing if not yet properly initialized.
I tested it and it's caused if a play now game is started before opening the scenario, with the program not having been closed. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with game options.

Last edited:
Only "Play Now" seems to cause this, strange. And the human player not being in slot 0 in the subsequent game. And then it's indeed a Barbarian war that triggers the exception. I think I'll work around it at that time – not letting the Barbarians interact with the alert because their DoWs happen at a strange point in time early during game initialization.

Top Bottom