Team CFC: Folding@Home project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abaddon

Deity
Welcome

with us you can donate to charity for free.

Did you know you could become a Superhero, by doing virtually nothing at all?

Many of your fellow members on CFC already do!

Spoiler Team Members :

Abaddon
Adamb0mb
Administrator
AJubert
Alain_Boudreau
AlanH
Aphex_Twin
azadi.1
azzaman333
Babbler
BartholomaiCFC
BCLG100
bed_head7
Beorn-TF
betazed
Bill3000
Blazer6
BlueMonkey
Bootstoots
BS_Prophet
CFC_Hakim
Chukchi_Husky
Colone_here
Colonel_here
colony
Cuivienen
Darksidr
Dionysius
dojoboy
Dr._Yoshi
EdMcK515
Elephant
elfangor801
Fetus4188
FiftyFiftyFiftyFifty
FranciscoHernan
Furiey
gahst7
GeneralW
Gingerbread_Man
G-Man_-_A_gift_from_the_IAF
Godwynn
Goldfish
Gregory
Harald
HP&H
IglooDude
Illusion13
ironduck
James
Jeffrey
Johan_Bage
Jonathan
JonnyB1
Kan_Sharuminar
King_Alexander
koondrad
kristophski
Lord_all_Mighty
lost_civantares
Lostciv_antares
Louis_Rogerson
Louis_Rogerson
machia
marc
Marsden
Masquerouge
Massimamanno
Mathilda
matthew
McManus
Minute_Man
MjM
mossmonster
MrRats
msappir
Mulholland
Murky
Nate128
nc-1701
Newbie101
Nicholas_Stokes
NikNaks93
Noldodan
North_King
Nwahsnwahs018
Pentium
Perfection
Plexus!
PrinceScamp
Radagaisus
Radioactive_Monkey
RayneJarre
RedFusion
RFHolloway
rhymes
Rik_Meleet
roy
Ruff_Hi
sahkuhnder
Samuelson
schmiddi
Silent_Spectre
Simon_Eriksson
Simon_Seddon
snuk
Sophie_378
Speedo
Stephen
Stevenpfo
subbss
sysyphusCanada
Syterion
Taliesin
taper
Tboy
ThatOneGuy
TheLoneMan
Till
TimBentley
toh6wy
Truronian
Tubby_Rower
Tycoon101
tylermenssen
Ummmmmmm
VRWCAgent
warmonger
WildWeazel
WillJ
YNCS
Zuffox

You probably have heard the concept: A little program runs in the background of your computer, only taking whatever spare power there is. It uses this power to play with proteins. The results it gets are sent back to the Folding@home people who use it in medical research.

Collectively we do what a zillion dollar computer could. Therefore diverting funds back where it should be spent- on the research, not the equipment.

You dont need a powerful PC, The program carefully monitors how much processing power is available. You will not experience slow downs because of it.

There is no malicious spyware or anything involved within the program.

:banana:Download the programme here:banana:

------------------------------------

To contribute to the statistics for this team, put the number 47958 in the team field
(right-click to configure a client program)

------------------------------------

Folding@Home Website said:
Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery. Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals. Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Alzheimer's Disease, Cancer, Huntington's Disease, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Parkinson's Disease, Ribosome & antibiotics

Can current members only post if it needs bumping, anyone curious to join ask away!​

Its for medical research now, who knows what theyll use it for in the future?

If all technolgical advances that can be used for making weapons have been used for making weapons, what makes you think this will be different?

wouldnt it be ironic if this lead to the super virus that kills everything?
anyway, I dont think this folding thing makes a huge difference, not doing it might delay things to come by 10 or 20 years.

NOTE: Remember to close this program when launching games.
Because at least on my computer running the folding program on the background when playing CivIV, Rome Total War and Medieval Total War causes these games to malfunction.

However you can run Soldat and play multiplayer and it works properly.

NB; Maybe the mods should sticky this thread

Its for medical research now, who knows what theyll use it for in the future?

Your calculating an already exhisting protein folding up...

If all technolgical advances that can be used for making weapons have been used for making weapons, what makes you think this will be different?

I cannot think one possible way "they" could convert this research to a weapon.

wouldnt it be ironic if this lead to the super virus that kills everything?
anyway, I dont think this folding thing makes a huge difference, not doing it might delay things to come by 10 or 20 years.

Were not making anything new... Things go wrong when proteins do not form correctly within a cell.. this program improves our understanding of the folding.

Have you any idea how many people will die in the next 20 years of diseases that are curable? Ask them if it will make a difference.

You can put me down if you like, it's about time I used my formidable processor for something other than games.

How do I sign up and what do I do?

Read the second post, makes it all clear :)

I just downloaded it, edited the team number, so I guess i'm a part of the team now?

NOTE: Remember to close this program when launching games.
Because at least on my computer running the folding program on the background when playing CivIV, Rome Total War and Medieval Total War causes these games to malfunction.

However you can run Soldat and play multiplayer and it works properly.

Depends on the game. It works fine alongside Civ, which is all that matters, right? ;)

I like the new thread title Abaddon.

Welcome aboard Sidhe and d.highland :goodjob:
@d.highland - Give it some time, most of my Work units take a several days each.
You should have a red flower looking icon on your taskbar now, if you click display it will show you how details about your current work unit. Ignore the estimated time to finish right now too, you need to fold for a while before it starts predicting accurately.

You can put me down if you like, it's about time I used my formidable processor for something other than games.

How do I sign up and what do I do?

Hi Sidhe, glad to have you with us. What kind of system do you have? There are different versions available from single to multi-CPU core Linux, Mac and Windows releases to specialized ATI graphics cards programs that do work on your GPU processor. They are about to release a version for the PS3.

Let me know your operating system, processor and graphics card model and I can offer some suggestions and give you the available choices for your system.

--------

I'd join again, but the program screws up MOO II.

It screws up my MOOII as well. I just close it while playing any kind of game and let it run it's good work the rest of the time. You were doing great for awhile and would certainly be welcomed back.

--------

I just downloaded it, edited the team number, so I guess i'm a part of the team now?

If you have your User Name and team 47958 entered then as soon as your first Work Unit is completed you will show up on Stanford's plain stats page in about an hour and on EOC's detailed stats page in a couple hours. The links are in my sig. Just ask if you have any kind of question and welcome aboard. :)

Do I get a copy of what my computer does with this program? The research that it produces or the raw data?

Hi Sidhe, glad to have you with us. What kind of system do you have? There are different versions available from single to multi-CPU core Linux, Mac and Windows releases to specialized ATI graphics cards programs that do work on your GPU processor. They are about to release a version for the PS3.

Let me know your operating system, processor and graphics card model and I can offer some suggestions and give you the available choices for your system.

Ok thanks for the help, I have a 2.8 GHz pentium IV, windows XP, with 1 gig of memory.With a Nvidea GForce 256 graphics card but the more suped up model, It's a little old fashioned but it does the biz.

I'm running the program as we speak. hope I got the best version, and I typed in the number for the team.

Do I get a copy of what my computer does with this program? The research that it produces or the raw data?

Stanford University has the results but I suspect that unless you are a Molecular Biologist or serious Scientist type that it wouldn't really mean much to you. The have a Science discussion forum available that talks about the program progress and results if you're interested.

--------

Ok thanks for the help, I have a 2.8 GHz pentium IV, windows XP, with 1 gig of memory.With a Nvidea GForce 256 graphics card but the more suped up model, It's a little old fashioned but it does the biz.

I'm running the program as we speak. hope I got the best version, and I typed in the number for the team.

It sounds like you've got it right then. There are two versions for single core Windows machines, a graphical client and a console client and they both do the same thing at the same speed. The specialized graphics card GPU versions are only out for certain ATI cards as of yet.

Your system is certainly modern enough to be up to the task so your first Work Unit should finish in a day to a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom