Term 1 Nomination Thread - Chief Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravensfire

Member of the Opposition
Position: Chief Justice

This is the Nomination thread for the office of Chief Justice.

The Chief Justice is the head of the Judiciary, and responsible for creating the procedures the Judiciary will use for that term. As with all members of the Judiciary, the Chief Justice will resolve and clarify any questions of our laws, investigate any possible violations of the laws and review amendments to the Constitution.

To nominate a citizen for Chief Justice, including yourself, post the name in this thread or PM Ravensfire. In order for a citizen to be accepted for the election, they must accept the nomination by posting in this thread or sending a PM to Ravensfire. Self-nominations are considered automatically accepted unless indicated otherwise. Citizens may only accept one nomination.

All citizens are encouraged to post questions to the nominees about their plans and qualifications for the office. Nominees are encouraged, but not required, to answer those questions.

The election poll will be posted at 6:00 pm, Feb. 24, CST, and will list all accepted nominations, in order of acceptance.

Good luck!
-- Ravensfire

I nominate Ravensfire, although I hope that any office he might fill won't stop him from writing initiatives.

I nominate Ravensfire, although I hope that any office he might fill won't stop him from writing initiatives.
I'll accept, and will have a platform posted this evening.

-- Ravensfire

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Ladies and Gentleman I would like to announce my intention to form a Chief Justice investigative committee.

Now at first thoughts your all going to say

joe_every_body said:
Hang on isnt this that crazy who pretends to be a mobster, who ran for president then had a sleep, who cant string two words together let alone a judical review.

and

pathetic _citizen said:
and the noob sandwhich is running against ravensfire and donsig that dirty hand man dosent have a chance!

I shall adress this arguments in reverse order, because thats the way i like to do things.

Sure their are some bigger names running than myself. No one doubts ravensfire can do the job, but i feel the voters of this fine country will elect me for two reasons.

Its my turn. My demogame carrer has be spread evenly between the foreign department and the judicary. I have been Foreign Leader on many occasions and for a while now i have set my goals apon this great office.

Twice in the last demogame is Won the position and then had it stolen from me. First I was appointed by acting-president cheiftess. But i had it taken from me by legal review and squander.

The second time i was elected in a one horse race, and i never saw a case the entire term.

People the Time is Right for Nobody JUDACIARY!

I have so far made 2240ish posts here at civfanatics, a vast majority of which have been stupid one liners and rash illogical statements.
This is just a clever ruse to confuse my enemys, the real nobody will answer any legal questions you may have in a clear and understandable form.

I wont write 1000 words to define what a Settler is, ill call a settler a settler and a will of the people, a will of the people.
This one time at band camp.... i ran for president and then went on a holiday so to speak. Im sorry what more can i say, everyone screws around once give me a break.

My thoughts : "most of the demogame players are americans, so they will have no problem electing a useless president"

The mafia dosent exsist, me and some like minded individuals hang out pretending to be spys some times. WOW, anyway im no thug...

I have really Broken into my new stuff yet just rehashing the past,

So expect some more to come soon:

My platform
Petty attacks against opponents
Answers to your questions

Its nobodys turn, the time is right...
Vote Nobody for Chief Justice

yeah so i nominate donsig then self nominate... donsig is still great but now i must encourage you all to vote for me.

Fellow citizens,

I come before you, seeking your support in my effort to become the Chief Justice of our nation.

As many of you know, I've been here before, running for this office and serving as the Chief Justice. I've been involved in the creation of the rules for this game, pushing them forward when others would not. We've got an excellent Constitution, and a Government that's perfect for these early days. We've got excitement, new citizens joining, and old citizens returning.

I believe I am the right person to help keep that going. We have a new philosophy in DG2. It's more that just "Build as you go", it's about keeping things the right size, about putting the emphasis on the citizens. I plan to bring that philosphy to the Judiciary.

The procedures I create will be similar to the ones used in past DG's. The process for Citizen Complaints will remain basically the same, as will the review process for Constitutional Amendments. Judicial Reviews will be handled slightly differently - I will ask that the Judiciary only review those cases where we have actual disputes in the rules. I will resist having the Judiciary make new law, and actively work with the citizens to resolve such questions.

The Judiciary should be there to help citizens, support the DG and keep things flowing. The Judiciary I am the Chief Justice of will to it's utmost to be just that.

Thanks!
-- Ravensfire

Some questions for all the candidates -

Seeing as one of the most important roles of the Chief Justice is organization, what will be your approach toward running the judiciary?

The constitution grants the Judicial branch broad power in defining its own procedures, unless otherwise defined by law. Would you favor exercising that power, or would you favor enshrining those procedures in an Initiative or other form of higher law, and why?

Just a question that will run across all these nominations but to prevent cross-posts, I will post it here.

How many offices can a person hold?

Just a question that will run across all these nominations but to prevent cross-posts, I will post it here.

You can only accept one nomination in an election cycle (that is, you can only be a candidate in one election, excluding the election for designated player). Beyond that, I don't think there's a specific limit to how many offices a person can hold.

Seeing as one of the most important roles of the Chief Justice is organization, what will be your approach toward running the judiciary?
As I mentioned in my platform statement, it will be similar to the courts that I've run in the past, with some changes to help speed things up.

For Judicial Reviews, I will encourage the Judiciary to accept only true conflicts of law or matters that might significantly impact the game. Questions that would result in "new law" (How should we handle XYZ) will be sent to the Citizens, asking them to work on an initiative if needed. I plan to be aggressive in pushing back, and active in leading those discussions.

If the request is about a conflict in law, or a situation that might impact the DG in a material matter, I will accept the review, and proceed as we've done in the past - discussion for a day or two, more if needed, and then as for rulings. If the matter is something that should normally be returned to the people, but the potential for harm to the DG exists if not handled quickly, I would issue a temporary ruling that would expire when a relevant initiative is passed.

The constitution grants the Judicial branch broad power in defining its own procedures, unless otherwise defined by law. Would you favor exercising that power, or would you favor enshrining those procedures in an Initiative or other form of higher law, and why?
Barring abuse by a Chief Justice, they should remain as procedures. We've had tremendous success with the procedures, allowing changes between terms as needed. If there are abuses, specifically targetted Initiatives should correct them and remind the Judiciary that they are a servant of the people.

ordinaryguy said:
There are no limits to the number of offices a person can hold, but there are limits to the number of elections a citizen can run in.

The idea is that if we've got enough citizen to run for elections, we should spread that out. If we've got unfilled positions, and not enough active people, we can appoint people to second offices. Appointments can be challenged, so if a Chieftain tries to appoint someone to a second office when qualified citizens not in office expressed interest, that appointment can be challenged, and hopefully overturned.

-- Ravensfire, Candidate for Chief Justice

Bad news: im going away for a week or so (going to auckland to watch the WWE). And when i get back my internet access may be comprimized. Regardless ill be back soonish. But im not going to stand for this election.

Good luck opponents.

Will you participate in the legislative process while on the bench? Please elaborate on your reasons.

I will continue to participate as I've been doing. I'll toss out proposals, push discussions on various topics and try to create something that most people accept. I think that's key - you can't always keep everyone happy (or even most!), but you work to create something that will work, and will keep most people satisfied.

-- Ravensfire, Candidate for Chief Justice

Since Nobody nominated my I will accept. Too bad I can't run against Nobody. I love Nobody/nobody puns.

Question for Candidates:

Will you participate in the legislative process while on the bench? Please elaborate on your reasons.

Of course I will, because I'm a citizen.

Some questions for all the candidates -

I'm for less rules and regulations so I would not even try to put judicial procedures into an initiative. If we get into some trouble down the road I'd try getting some small initiatives passed that addressed specific problems.

As for organizing the judiciary, I'd lay out some procedures (based on the judicial procedures of previous demogames). As Ravensfire has pointed out, the main power of the judiciary lies in accepting or rejecting cases. I would also try to avoid spurious cases feel a case should be accepted even if only one justice thinks it has merit. I am also a believer in the judicial members being able to discuss cases in private (either through pms or chats). Past DG legal issues have been quite complex and my procedures would allow justices to take their time and deliberate all points of the law, conferring back and forth in hopes of reaching a judicial consensus.

Question for candidates:

Despite the feelings of some people, there are types of court cases which effectively stop time because the people don't know what to do until a decision is made. Are you able and willing to make a fast ruling in a situation where the game is stuck waiting for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom