Term 3 – Nominations for Minister of Defence

Furiey

No Longer Just Lurking
The Minister of Defense is responsible the defense of Fanatikos and military planning. The Minister also controls the actions of all Military units.

Please submit nominations for the Minister of Defense in this thread and Accept or Decline any nominations you may receive. Self nominations are allowed. Citizens may only run for one elected position.

Nominations will close and elections open 00:00 GMT on the 27 September (that’s 8pm EDT 26 September).

Please Note: I shall start closing the nomination threads and posting the polls approx 1½ hours early at 22:30 GMT (6:30 PM EDT), 26 September.

i would like to be marked as undecided as I am debating if I will run for governor or another posistion.

i second vr and nominate Gerikes.

Question:

Will you favor deploying troops defensively or offensively? Also, will you push for the building of fortresses, barricades, and outposts?

A purley Defensive force should be used for now, but not really in the favor of Hoplites, As some of you know I oushed for the activation and creation of an RDF, and if elected I feel that the creation of the RDF is paramount as of right now we are defnded by Hoplites alone and that needs to be changed. Simply putting 3 Hoplites in a city is a waste and an RDF is ten times more practical.

I will also push for the use of Cavalry to raid our enemies and disrupt their troop movement, I AM a fan of Offense as some may know, keeping it small though is what I'll do throughout the term, using fast moving attackers will be our main form of attack in any war unless the citizenry votes to take a city, and then we will siege the city with available Offensive Units and take it quickly.

If I am elected I will also push for more coordination between the seperate branches of government, and for the Dp's I've noticed that instructions are alittle too restricting a lot of the time, and I feel that I can trust the DP to make their own decsions based on the tactical situation.

I will also create and Intelligence Directorate, which simply takes the Information Office a few steps farther.

-Ranger99-

i have decided to accept my nomination for Minister of Defence. Now for the question. Like my opponent I favor the creation of an RDF, however I think that our ultimate opinion of what units will make it up and their position is different. We need an RDF made up of defensive forces but can be used on the offense. We are a relativly easy target with only 5 cities, so therefore we would need a strong defense of hoplites. All of our cities have adequate or soon to be defenses. We need to think of border defense. If you have seen my thread on Operation Four, that is an outline for my hope of the RDF. A few changes are of course natural but the main idea is perfect. Our horsemen of 5 or 6 will be spies and become a pestilence among rival civs foolish enough to attack our nation. They would be preliminary raiders and attackers. They would also conduct rounds to discover enemy troop movement especially if it is hostile. As for barricades, fortresses, and outposts. I consider a valuable assest to a strong, prepared and ultimatley succesful RDF. An ideal amount of each improvement, is a fortress and barricade on each troop stack, with outposts on the front lines, one or two squares in front of our borders, in strategic locations to catch enemy troops in movement. They would also provide a final warning system, if enemy troops avoid our horse scouts.

First off, I am honored that I have been nominated to this position. However, I will have to decline.

I have in the past, as a citizen of this great nation, done my small part to try to keep the Defense Department on it's toes. I did this not because I had mistrust in those running it, but rather because I believed that the duties held within this department were of the most important in the nation. This is especially true in this early time of our nation's life.

I will continue to keep the department on it's toes, pushing them to perfecting the use of our limited military resources. However, I would feel more comfortable doing this as a Citizen of Fanatikos.

Two Question for the candidates:

Since the beginning, our Nation has decided to be very isolationist. Avoiding wars was our game, and with the exclusion of one incident, we held strong to that. Even when Gemany looked only years away from falling, we stayed out. The one major reason for this was due to the public demand for a better economy and infrastucture to be set up prior to any engagement. As the Minister of Defense, what specific objectives do you believe must be achieved before you would be willing to say that our nation would be ready to fight any foe on our continent to the point of their destruction (even if it means to get help from an ally)?

Second, we've reached the point in our land where the next reasonable spot for any Nation to expand is into each other, and tensions will no doubt mount. Who do you believe is our biggest threat in the next term and why?

Well, I'll answer the second question first, at this moment France has got to be our greatest fear, they are pretty strong adn are actually close to enveloping us at the moment.

Well before we go into any fight at all, we first must make sure our homlenad itself is adequetly defended as if any one of our cities is destroyed we lost a full FIFTH maybe more depending on the city of our production capability, and that HURTS, it really hurts my friends, so the RDF will have to be at a good strength to stop and enemy invasion. After that adequate intelligence of the enemy MUST be had, as our troops are limited and must be used to the maximum effectivness. We simply can't waste some fo them scouting if our goal is to take a city, Intelligence needs to take care of that.

But as for specifics;
A medium sized (3-6) Offensive force with staying power.
A Large sized Mobile Offensive Force (5-10)
A small Navy capable of Transport capacity(1-3)

And that's basically all that we need for a major offensive. OUr Offensive force can take cities and sit on them while our Cavalry roams the countryside to pick off unprotected enemy troops and to pillage the countryside.

With this force taking limited objectives is easy, now if we wanted to DESTROY a Civ, allies ARE needed and strong ones at that, we must make sure to play off of their attacks and gather everything that we can moving ahead or behind them depending on the situation.

-Ranger99-

I will anwser both questions:

1) There are a number of needs that must be meet to insure a high probability of success in any armed conflict with any civilization. First, we must have adequate or above adequate offenses. I do not mention city defense because I feel all cities have or a close to completing viable defenses aganist most enemies. While the Persia Immortal poses a threat to our hoplites we should be able to stop any Persian unit from entering or nearing our borders with the aid of our Horsemen regiments. For our main offensive core I would hope ideally for 5-8 swordsmen or dominant unit of the Age, MDI in Middle Ages, then Knights, Cavalry, etc... Assuming we use swords in my example we would have 5-8 of them. 5 or 6 horsemen used as scouts and spies will hopefully be in position prior to war. In a war situation any non-essential horsemen would abandon their post to act and prelimnary pillagers and attackers as well as intelligence gatherers. Non-essential means units now where near the enemy or near an ally in the war, but I would want something near our allies just as a warning for what troops they are sending into our territory. Finally, I would like to have 2-4 catapults to provide artillery to soften up enemy defenses and their invaluable defensive bombardment. Personally, I do not consider a navy vital to an armed conflict because any wars this term will most likely happen on our continent and sending a galley with 3 valuable units into enemy territory is quite risky. Especially when the AI could easily intercept it, crippling our offensive.

2) Our biggest threat is currently the nations of France of Rome. France, being our closest neighbor and one of the biggest nations we know of is in a position to easily assault us and have a chance of victory. While I'm confident our hoplites and current standing army are strong enough to defend us from the French they are still a very big threat culturaly, their borders are very close to us and if they expand a few more times, the Augean Stables may flip. Rome we already know that they have a powerful military and she was the remaining nation in the war aganist Germany. I believe we should destroy France first and then move onto Rome or Germany. France will allow us to get a base to strike Rome.

Ohh, sorry if anybody mis-understood my naval power projection, at the moment Galley's are useless, but as soon as a Navy becomes more specialized the forming of one will be a nice addition, allowing us to attack the enemy at their weakest point, instead of their strongest point, thus allowing fewer casualties, which is a need in a 5BCC.

-Ranger99-

I nominate zyxy for this possition

Top Bottom