Term II - Commune of Foreign Affairs

I fear we are jumping to concusions here. Why not hear them out on what they are researching and what they have researched sofar, before we throw it in their face? There is no need to tell them that we can no longer wait, it is unnecessarily hostile and probably slams the door on future cooperation. Also, this will be seen by BAT as deal-breaking - whatever that deal is, this is still unclear to me.
We finish Pottery next turn and will move on to writing. If they have some offer to make we're telling them we will trade Iron, but nobody can trade techs yet because they broke the deal long ago and I'm sick of waiting for them now.

I would not mention the words "mistrust" and "suspicion" - they will read between the lines. Do we want to take the initiative on the treaty? With the letter phrased like this, they will wait for our proposal. Alternatively, we could say we're interested and invite them to provide more details.
Apologies for trivia make us look timid or frightened. And btw, "first step" to what?
I'll take that line out but the message looks too short. I think its a good opportunity for us if we take the lead with the treaty. I don't mind kissing up a little bit, their OOC comments about the PTW DG were quite humble. It is a first step toward tricking them into trusting us, but we'll keep that to ourselves for now.

A bit timid ("hope", "tardy"), and lacking in content - if I were on their team I would wonder why we received this message. Do we not want to send them something more substantial? GWT spoke about tech trades lately, do we wish to enter negotiations on that? Or perhaps a nonaggression treaty.

Same for COG.
Yes these messages are lame and in need of much improvment. Offering COG a non-aggression treaty is a great idea (or even better just a border agreement), but doesn't make much sense for GWT and talking to about tech trades so far from alphabet annoys me.

We finish Pottery next turn and will move on to writing. If they have some offer to make we're telling them we will trade Iron, but nobody can trade techs yet because they broke the deal long ago and I'm sick of waiting for them now.
I agree that BAT is probably not going to Alpha by the shortest path. Quite understandably, as it is much better from their POV to go for pottery first, and perhaps even a few other techs. But what deal did they break? All I can find is a rather vague agreement in a chat that we will swap techs when BAT discovers Alpha. It is unclear which techs will be swapped, or when this will be done (BAT has given timelines of their research but no real commitments). Similarly, for research paths they have stated their intent, but no firm commitment. Our case would be stronger if there was an actual treaty in place, but there is none as far as I can find.

In any case, IMO we should not rub BAT the wrong way for no good reason. BAT may still prove useful to us. How about a letter along these lines:

dear friends of BAT,

happy new year blabla.

We would like to discuss research plans with you. CFC's scientists have worked very hard lately and are about to uncover the secrets of pottery. We would of course be happy to share this technology with you, if you wish - of course this requires knowledge of the Alphabet. In our forums we are discussing what to research next, and your progress plays an important part in this. From the chats between our two nations we recall that you were planning to discover Alphabet around this time. Could you tell us how this research is progressing? Are you researching Alphabet already, and can you give us an updated ETA?

Another subject that has crossed our mind is the signing of open borders. Would you be interested in that?

closing sentence blabla

Feel free to use/edit/discard etc. The purpose of the message is to hear them out on their progress, both in the direction of Writing/Alphabet and in the direction of pottery. If they respond that they have writing, then we can ask for OB and see what happens. If they respond that they don't have writing, then we can act up, or simply say that we will start researching Writing "because we need libraries soon".

I'll take that line out but the message looks too short. I think its a good opportunity for us if we take the lead with the treaty. I don't mind kissing up a little bit, their OOC comments about the PTW DG were quite humble. It is a first step toward tricking them into trusting us, but we'll keep that to ourselves for now.
I agree it's a good opportunity. So perhaps we should discuss what we want in this treaty :). I think a 50 turn peace would be beneficial to us. A land division agreement (i.e., no settling or large armies on the other side of a demarcation line) with the line running somewhere through the isthmus connecting our lands would be great, and would definitely be a concession from CGA to us. We can lengthen the message by adding a vague statement on such ideas, if our team can agree on this.

Yes these messages are lame and in need of much improvment. Offering COG a non-aggression treaty is a great idea (or even better just a border agreement), but doesn't make much sense for GWT and talking to about tech trades so far from alphabet annoys me.

What do you mean by a border agreement? OB? We could add that or a peace treaty to give the messages more substance.
I agree tech treaties are not that useful at this stage. Although we could talk about a division of research, just to prepare the stage for trading. It seems GWT wants to go IW now, that's too bad. Maybe we can prevent COG from doing the same, and send them towards Monarchy?

Dear Croxis, dear CFC-Team!

The Bat team wish you a Happy New Year!

We hope that our two teams will qualify themselves together for the final.

Best regards,

BAT-Team

No internet for a week and so much to catch up on, I'll throw in my input once I get the real life important stuff caught up

Ok, here is my draft based on snippits from the lot of ya, ok so it is mostlyzyxy:

Dear Batracheros,

We would like to discuss research plans with you. CFC's scientists have worked very hard lately and are about to uncover the secrets of pottery. We would of course be happy to share this technology with you, if you wish - of course this requires knowledge of the Alphabet. We are discussing what to research next, and your progress plays an important part in this. From the chats between our two nations we recall that you were planning to discover Alphabet around this time.

We are excited to trade technologies with you, however the delay we experienced these past few weeks is increasing the risk that much of our research will overlap and be wasted. Could you tell us how this research is progressing? Are you researching Alphabet already, and can you give us an updated ETA?

May we grow in mutual prosperity,
Team CFC

Now to GCA

Dear Yellow Destiny,

We are happy to receive your friendly greeting. We apologize for our past attempts and hope that this exchange may spark a renewed effort on both our parts.

A promising first step would be a border agreement and non-aggression pact that you propose. These issues are being discussed now and we would love to listen to your ideas of the specifics of the treaty.

Farewell,
Team CFC

GWT have stated that they do not have alphabet yet, I am quite sure they are still interested in tech trading. I sent out a message to cog a few weeks ago seeking the possibility of a tech trade to no answer.

Dear COG,

We hope that you will accept our tardy seasons greetings and hope that the new year will bring many more pleasant exchanges for us both. To encourage future friendship may we propose a non aggression pack and define settlement borders?

Happy New Years,
Team CFC

And just for my records:
Dear Nibelungen,

We hope that you will accept our tardy seasons greetings and hope that the new year will bring many more pleasant exchanges for us both.

Happy New Years,
Team CFC

Great, that covers everything. Lets fire those babies off. Also it may be a good idea to use Google docs (the link is at the top left of the page when you log into the team gmail account) to keep track of our diplomatic exchanges because searching through these threads is not so convenient.

GCA said:
We should have a few people available on Friday night, so yes, let us make this our chat date.
And the place?

so apparantly this is at 22.00GMT, whos gonna be able to attend?

How about we create a stickied thread where teh current foreign minister or president can post our deals. That way we can update it as we go. NO ONE else post their its just a info thread. If others post there we can get a mod to delete the post.

*shrug* im not totally sure who is foreign minister right now- this probably aint that helpfull for the other teams.

geesh, we sure look like a bunhc of noobs.

Mr president..how about you email them next time your in gmail for a save. simply reply back to who send it and include a message when you send on the next save. Kills 2 of the replies.

I'm still FM until the next turn, I finally have internets tubes at my new apartment, I will fire off the emails when we get back.

We so need a wiki.

Wait... gimme a couple more hours for that one.

Looks ok to me, except for

Dear Yellow Destiny,

We are happy to receive your friendly greeting. We apologize for our past attempts and hope that this exchange may spark a renewed effort on both our parts.

A promising first step would be a border agreement and non-aggression pact that you propose. These issues are being discussed now and we would love to listen to your ideas of the specifics of the treaty.

Farewell,
Team CFC

It is unclear what we are apologizing for. Perhaps you can replace this line by something like "If we failed to reply to your messages then we apologize for that. We hope that this exchange...", or something in better English.

Btw, we now leave the initiative for a pact with GCA again.

"Sorry for our past poor attempts at communication."

Having the initiative is good.

We should have a few people available on Friday night, so yes, let us make this our chat date.
And the place?

Lucky

MSN I assume? I responded saying we prefer msn, but IRC is available as well. I will NOT be able to check for a response at work nor attend the meeting. I'll leave it up to classical hero to finish setting it up. The rest of the emails have been sent, except for Nibelungen because for the life of me I can not remember which team they are.

Spoiler :
wiki is going online now here: http://www.croxis.net/isdg.cfc.html

Yes, it is secure as long as no one shares it or links to it outside of these forums

nope nope, not yet, stupid backend server poo poo

Spoiler :
wiki is going online now here: http://www.croxis.net/isdg.cfc.html

Yes, it is secure as long as no one shares it or links to it outside of these forums

nope nope, not yet, stupid backend server poo poo

WHY are we doing this....we have a perfectly good secure forum here. Besides that by posting a thread and getting a stickey everyone wont have to find teh link to go to this new site.

Another reason is if you leave or get out of contact ..we can not add or modify it. If its here we can add to it modify it.

WE need to stop trying to be "cute" and just play the game and cut out the extra stuff like this that wont help us.

STILL another reason...by putting info outside of this forum, it allows a loop hole in the "sportsmanship" clause we agreed to. IF someone would happen to find it..they can claim they stubbled upon the info, where as if the info is only here...there is no accidental finding..they did it on purpose.

This private chat room thing and this wiki site are horrible time wasting ideas. YES its your time to waste but if perhaps emails and contact with other teams would have received as much attention we woudlnt scrambling to send "opps sorry we have contacted you " emails.

/rant off.

No need to resign, I think your term just ended anyway. :) Also with that batch of emails you have just set the tone for our renewed foreign policy.

However if the Wiki or whatever you were doing is not happening now I'm going to keep track of diplo in a Goodle doc because its easier for me and google better be secure because that were we get all our diplo anyway.

That was a litttle harsh, Rob. The wiki is not a bad idea to keep everything in one place - which is obviously neccessary considering the past few weeks, but it DOES pose a security threat. If the google doc is a good way, then let's use that, because we do need some tool to keep on top of things.

I didnt mean to it be harsh...my whole point is why not just keep all our info in a thread here. We have a forum dedicated to our team why go create something else. In addition, the team members you start with here may not finish. People leave, lose computer access and other things so if its external we are at the whim of who ever is the care taker.

Again..whats is so hard to have a thread that says...
team X...non aggresssion till turn 250.
team y...butt heads...kill soon.

Any official can then add to it and with our mods we can delete and cut any extra posts. Its in one spot every one sees it even if we all leave and a new group comes in.

btw GCA this turn can have OB, i would like to propose a deal of OB through each others territory. in this deal we should stipulate that only one unit may travel through.

Top Bottom