Term X Defense Ministry

OK, I’ve run through some simulations. Assuming we attack only with our 62 healthy cavalry, we can expect to lose 17 cavalry, have 5 retreat, and kill 40 Nuts - definitely better than trying to defend against that many units.

I have assumed we would take off 33 hps with our 39 artillery (some of our shots should be at 2 hp infantry, so we will lose our rate of fire of 2). I assumed 6 of our units were hit with defensive bombard. I actually meant to assume that defensive bombard was 100% successful, but I forgot about the guerilla – in any case, 6/7 should be a conservative assumption from our perspective.

If we do this, we can expect the Nuts to have 15 units survive. We could possibly continue the attack with injured cavalry or conscript infantry depending on what the Nuts’ top defender is, but that’s impossible to plan ahead if that will be worthwhile.

15 units is a manageable number. We should still have 45 cavalry in various stages of health plus our 7 infantry and 12 hoplites which will leave no danger of the Nuts taking a town and make it very easy to kill their remaining units next turn (assuming they leave them and can’t add another 40 units next turn).

Here is what I would do:

1. Obviously bombard with our artillery first. Since we expect the Nuts to end with about 15 units left, I would move the artillery before bombarding – 15 in Ithaca, 15 in Rhodes, and 9 on the mountain.

2. Attack with healthy cavalry. Wake up all units but be careful how you move them. Don’t move any units past the Nut’s stack where the Nuts can use their ZoC fire. The ones on the mountain attack from where they are, and the ones in Ithaca attack from where they are. Others just be careful not to let them pass the stack before attacking – probably just attack from the west.

3. Any surviving units, just hit (w)ait temporarily so you retain their movement points until we know how many survivors we each have.

4. Generally, I would attack with veterans, then regulars, then elites. However, in this case, consider attacking with 53 of our vets, then the regulars, then the elites, then the remaining 3 vets. The reason is that if all 4 of our elites win, then we have over a 20% chance of a leader. If we get a leader, then he should form an army, load it with the 3 vet cavalry who have not moved, and attack the Nut stack with the army 4 times (attack from Ithaca, so the army will be there to defend after its last movement point is exhausted).

5. Consider attacking with injured cavalry and conscript infantry if it is high percentage. Be careful attacking cavalry with infantry since we don’t want them to retreat closer to Ephebe. You will have to use your judgment whether it is worth pressing the attack or not depending on what Nuts are left.

6. Rearrange for defense. The towns are more important than the mountain, but if we are keeping some artillery on the mountain, then we need to defend it pretty carefully. However, if they have 15 units, and we have 64, then we can hold everything comfortably. We need serious units in Ithaca, Rhodes, and Hindus River, and don’t forget to put 2 units each in Antville and Ephebe to protect against a potential cavalry army. Units that are ¼ or 2/5, prefer to put in Hindus River since the barracks will accelerated their healing. Other than that, make sure all towns have healthy defensive units on top.

EDIT - I would also like to block a potential KISS landing in the northwest if we can spare the units.

There is also at least 1 KISS frigate that can be bombarded and attacked. I didn’t look closely to see if we could reach any pirates. Obviously all boats should continue scouting, bombarding if available, and ending in port if possible.

When attacking, will we continue to attack until there is nothing left of their stack?... Or will we not attack with injured units, only with full strength units?

EDIT: Disregard - xpost w/ above :)

Here are the numbers for the current DNUT forces on our land:

30 infantry (10 4/4 = 760, 1 3/3 = 57, 1 3/4 = 57, 1 3/5 = 57, 6 2/2 = 228, 1 2/3 = 38, 5 2/4 = 190, 2 1/2 = 38, 1 1/3 = 19, 2 1/4 = 38) 1482 / 1938
1 guerilla (3/5) = 45 / 60
24 cavalry (1 5/5 = 60, 19 4/4 = 912, 4 3/3 = 144) 1116
2 artillery 12
4 cannons 16

TOTAL= 2671 / 3142

I wish the battle log was accurate, so that I could check my numbers and subtract out what they lost. When we upgraded our cannons, we pinpointed DNUT strength at 4466.

EDIT: Their stack originally had 38 infantry, and no cavalry. So the untis they lost must have been infantry. 21 infantry ~ 1197, assuming all regulars, ~ 1596 all vet.

4466 - 1596 = 2870
4466 - 1197 = 3269
I think we're looking at everything they've got.

Additional thought on how to set up our defense - part of our defense in Hindus River can be hoplites upgraded to infantry. Anything we upgrade we won't be able to move out of Hindus River (or fortify), so we don't necessarily want to upgrade them all as some hoplites may be necessary elsewhere, but that should bulk up the defense of Hindus River quickly.

I may be misremembering this, but for some reason I think injured units become fully healed upon upgrading. Someone should test this first, but if it is true, then the injured units should be upgraded first.

Chamnix said:
I may be misremembering this, but for some reason I think injured units become fully healed upon upgrading. Someone should test this first, but if it is true, then the injured units should be upgraded first.

I am 99.99% sure that they do get healed when upgraded.

I agree – it looks like we must attack. (unless the attack simulation comes out really terrible)

I’m staying home sick from work today – so I’ll wait to play the save till we get a plan nailed down.

On another note…
I’m starting to wonder – should we maybe drop combustion and try to grab Monarchy before our Republic collapses?
Maybe it won’t matter, because our government will collapse from the WW just from the attack we’re planning?
But I’m really nervous about having the gov collapse and then only having Despotism or Feudalism as our new options.

General_W said:
On another note…
I’m starting to wonder – should we maybe drop combustion and try to grab Monarchy before our Republic collapses?
Maybe it won’t matter, because our government will collapse from the WW just from the attack we’re planning?
But I’m really nervous about having the gov collapse and then only having Despotism or Feudalism as our new options.

I'm fairly (but not 100%) sure that Republic cant collapase, only reach very high levels of WW. And if we were going to drop back for a government, I'd much prefer it to be Communism.

Sorry you are sick, General. It looks like you may have missed the last page when you posted that. The simulation results are in post #81 above, and they look OK to me.

I agree with azzaman - according to the war weariness article, only Democracy actually collapses. In any case, if we decided we wanted Monarchy, it is so cheap for us now that we could research it in 4 turns during anarchy with more than half our scientists turned to taxmen.

This may be too much to ask of a sick President, but if we get a kill ratio like 40-17 as predicted, we should certainly pass to strong against the Dnuts. If you can periodically check our military strength to see when the change occurs, and also check to see when we become average to KISS (if that happens, or if we ever drop to weak against either :eek:), then I'm sure peter grimes would really appreciate it ;).

Ok - here's my plan - I'm gonna try to play the save in about 2 hours. When I do, I'll open a "turn 193" thread, and post what's going on - so I can get feedback etc.

My head is still a little stuffy - so I'll appreciate any help!

Turn 194

Here is the message from the Nuts:

@ Ithaca: Cav army kills conscript infantry and then retreats against the 2nd conscript. 2 2/4 cavs die against infantry.

And they have run off - there are no foreign troops on our soil. Now we can use our artillery to redline any boats within range and hopefully finish some off with frigates.

EDIT - consider at what point we want to disband our hoplites and conscript infantry. Neither will be useful for our attack, and money is tight with the luxury slider increased. We obviously don't want to leave ourselves underdefended, but at some point the least useful military should go.

So how are we going to defend against another seabourne invasion? We will need to have a navy so that we can stop these attacks from getting to us. I would suggest that we build some Destroyers and Crusiers to stop any attacks. I would replace any Frigate with one of these two units.

I think we stop another seabourne invasion the same way we stopped the first one - let them land, bombard the crap out of them, and kill them. The only reason the previous invasion lasted as long as it did was that the turn they landed, we upgraded our cannons to artillery so we couldn't bombard on that turn. If they tried landing again, we already have artillery and many more of them.

It would take them some time to put another landing party together - by the time they could realistically try again, we should have Flight (5-6 turns away). Add the lethal bombard of bombers to our dozens of artillery, and they won't last long.

I really doubt anyone will attempt to land again. That attempt was the Nuts' last desperate chance at making the game competitive again. I think the game is over, and our duty is to reach a victory condition as quickly and efficiently as possible. Destroyers and cruisers do nothing to forward that goal.

Had we have the navy to do the job, we could have killed the galleons and thus they would have been in an even bigger of a problem. Then disband the frigates since they are utterly useless.

Chamnix said:
I really doubt anyone will attempt to land again. That attempt was the Nuts' last desperate chance at making the game competitive again. I think the game is over, and our duty is to reach a victory condition as quickly and efficiently as possible. Destroyers and cruisers do nothing to forward that goal.
:agree:

And it was a nice try by the Nuts. Better than I expected!

I'll be playing the save soon - I'll hold off on disbanding any units till we hear from GreekGuy.

:salute:

I, too, was surprised by the numberof forces they were able to land. However, not many of those units were really strong - there were quite a few regulars and conscripts. My guess is that they were trying to throw a wrench into our plans - hoping that an invasion would catch take us by surprise, and wreak economic havoc. Why else throw shields into units that arent' veterans? They were rushing against time.

Fortunately, we were gearing up for an invasion ourselves :)

classical_hero said:
Had we have the navy to do the job, we could have killed the galleons and thus they would have been in an even bigger of a problem. Then disband the frigates since they are utterly useless.

Cruisers are part of my invasion force plan, as I don't want to see our fully loaded transports sink to the bottom of the ocean.

:agree:

And it was a nice try by the Nuts. Better than I expected!

I'll be playing the save soon - I'll hold off on disbanding any units till we hear from GreekGuy.

since money is starting to get a little tight, i'd disband all our conscript infantry and upgrade any infantry we have left to hoplites (not sure if we have any hoplites still floating around).

also, kill as many D' Nut ships, without any regard to the survivial of our frigates. bombard as many as you can w/Artys (if our Artys can reach them) and then attack all nearby ships with our frigates. enemy galleons are #1 priority, followed by privateers, and then frigates. it's ok if we leave frigates in the open, as we'll have cruisers in a few turns, and i want as much as d'nut invasion surviviors to die under the sea.

Boy - I have a knack for playing before you post orders - :lol:

Too late to disband any hoplites - I'm already finished playing. Next turn!

I sunk 3 pirates, and redlined 3 others. I also redlined a KISS Frigate, but it's out of range of any boats. There was nothing else to shoot at. Full update coming soon.

damn, so all their galleons got away?

i guess i'll have to get online earlier in the day with the save being passed around so fast now.

greekguy said:
since money is starting to get a little tight, i'd disband all our conscript infantry and upgrade any infantry we have left to hoplites (not sure if we have any hoplites still floating around).

How does spending 105 gold per upgrade help our money situation?

Top Bottom