Terrain attributes

TowerWizard

Warlord
Maybe my skills at thread-searching sucks, but I could not find this information: how can you control smog and water pollution on adjacent tiles? Does the improvements change these values?

Looking at tiles around my cities, I noticed that tiles with mines all had negative smog but positive water pollution values. Actually, every single tile around the city have large negative values for air pollution, and all of them have positive values for water pollution. Yet, looking at the city screen, air pollution is higher than water pollution in the city.

How is this stuff calculated? Does only tiles used bu the city factor in? What effect does population have? How bad is it to build a Tannery that adds +2 water pollution if the mine on a grassland forest/hill next to the city adds 98?

What effect does this stuff even have on the city? Btw I know how crime and disease work.

I'm not sure what ALL factors impact these things but I do know that terrains and features do modify those things themselves as well as the way the city works with them, like crime and disease.

Is it bad to build a building that generates 5 Air Pollution?

Is it a joke that the Street Cleaner is super duper expensive and only gives -1 Air Pollution, -1 Water Pollution and +1 Health?

How do you judge these things?

Is it bad to build a building that generates 5 Air Pollution?

Is it a joke that the Street Cleaner is super duper expensive and only gives -1 Air Pollution, -1 Water Pollution and +1 Health?

How do you judge these things?

I avoid pollution producing buildings like the plague personally. I never build fire pits or hat makers or those type things.

But like you I really have no idea the overall effect on things. my instinct says if something is producing 3 air pollution per turn in prehistoric area with nothing to counter it, its a bad, bad idea to build it.

I also think the street cleaner seems expensive for the benefit it gives.

The property levels only become a threat once the tech enabling bad stuff is reached.
For example, the crime before masonry should be held below 275, and after currency under 100, each time to counter the harsh effects ( -8 :gold:, -15 :gold: ) that are introduced then by the said techs (also only for +6 pop cities)

While the firebuildings I also tend to avoid big time the water and air polution effects in prehistoric and ancient I never experienced. Well one time one pop was taken from my secound largest city because as the event told me they didn't like the living conditions there. But I never had any bad events directly caused by air or water polution. I guess the stuff becomes important only later.

i've had my capital with +1000 of both polutions well into the Modern era and nothing was wrong there much (the unhealth wasn't there due to no building unhealthiness building) no polution triggers fired and i gone on not giving a damn :p (later i had a small army of those Polution reducers cities can become impossible to take the further you go having 100 Policing units, 100 doctor's and 100 of those polution cleaners although those are twigs ;) but i'm starting to ramble

basically i usually do not have much issues with anything due to my healthy micromanaging of Police and Doctor's

i've had my capital with +1000 of both polutions well into the Modern era and nothing was wrong there much (the unhealth wasn't there due to no building unhealthiness building) no polution triggers fired and i gone on not giving a damn :p (later i had a small army of those Polution reducers cities can become impossible to take the further you go having 100 Policing units, 100 doctor's and 100 of those polution cleaners although those are twigs ;) but i'm starting to ramble

basically i usually do not have much issues with anything due to my healthy micromanaging of Police and Doctor's

Thats it, my next game I don't care. Gonna build smoke signals and hat shops and tannerys and be Al Gore's worst nightmare

Thats it, my next game I don't care. Gonna build smoke signals and hat shops and tannerys and be Al Gore's worst nightmare
Well in the early game, every single tile has something like -700 air pollution and -500 water pollution. This is why, in the early game, I don't worry too much about pollution. And you shouldn't either. The benefits of wearing hats far outweigh the costs of that minuscule "+3 Water Pollution". ;)

Well in the early game, every single tile has something like -700 air pollution and -500 water pollution. This is why, in the early game, I don't worry too much about pollution. And you shouldn't either. The benefits of wearing hats far outweigh the costs of that minuscule "+3 Water Pollution". ;)

but isnt that -700 a static number? Once its used up it gone? 3 per turn doesnt sound like much, but playing on snail speed those turns add up fast

As far as I know the 700 is not a static number. I think the value goes up to around 10times it's "per turn" value und stabilize then. So if it is -700 and you build a +3 Building it should stabilze at -670. Keep in mind that Pop also plays a role.

BUT atm Pollution is something I just don't care about. Like Diseases. There is no real downside and I don't want to have 100 units per city just to control these numbers. Worst thing that happens if your pollution is VERY high: Lots of unhealthyness and unhappiness. Neither global warming events nor the -10 or -20 Food per tile seems to work. And you have enough :) and Health to just don't care about the rest.

As far as I know the 700 is not a static number. I think the value goes up to around 10times it's "per turn" value und stabilize then. So if it is -700 and you build a +3 Building it should stabilze at -670. Keep in mind that Pop also plays a role.

BUT atm Pollution is something I just don't care about. Like Diseases. There is no real downside and I don't want to have 100 units per city just to control these numbers. Worst thing that happens if your pollution is VERY high: Lots of unhealthyness and unhappiness. Neither global warming events nor the -10 or -20 Food per tile seems to work. And you have enough :) and Health to just don't care about the rest.

Are we playing the same Mod?

JosEPh

Top Bottom