Terrain damage, Helicopters and Airships

So can you apply CanCrossIce to a naval unit for an "icebreaker" promotion?

Yes :mischief:

Top destroyer has Can Move Impassable (and has submerged), bottom one has (new) Ice-Breaker promotion

Attachments

• IceBreaker.jpg
    IceBreaker.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 461
Latest betas of DLL and Airships mods attached - they should be playable for testing/investigation purposes.
Edit: I've updated the OP to reflect the current state
Edit 2: All the source code is in the DLL zip if you're interested

If you find any problems, please don't just say "it doesn't work", I need to know specifics like "when moving a helicopter from coastal ice to ocean ice the unit embarked" - except I've fixed that one so you shouldn't get it!

All medium term goals, except giving the Ocean Explorer promotion to my Longboat UU and permitting helicopters to attack coastal shipping, are now done, as are the long term goals of CanCrossIce and Arctic Corp promotions

The Airships mod is feeling abused at the moment - I've thrown everything into it for testing, I will split the features out into separate mods later.

While playing in the path finder code I've found (worked out how to do) some other stuff that I've been looking for, so this project has kinda grown :eek:

Paratroopers - three related extensions
  • Can attack after landing, provided the drop was not at maximum range
  • Take damage from hostile AA at the drop zone (see spoiler)
  • Three Lua events - CanParadropFrom, CannotParadropFrom and ParadropAt
By combining CanParadropFrom and ParadropAt you can write a mod to enable a Paratroop unit adjacent to a Helicopter to be able to perform the drop in any territory, consuming the helicopters movement for that turn in the process

Spoiler :

Tunnels / Alpine Passes
  • Any land unit may use a road/rail on mountains (see spoiler)
  • Tunnel improvement (can only be built on mountains) - permanent improvement with an integrated rail connection
  • TBM unit for building the tunnel improvement (one shot build, like workboats)

I still need to do the artwork for the TBM/Tunnel (icons, unit flag, etc)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• tbm1.jpg
    tbm1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 82
  • tbm2.jpg
    tbm2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 454
  • tbm3.jpg
    tbm3.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 74
  • tbm4.jpg
    tbm4.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 74
  • EnhancedParatroopers.jpg
    EnhancedParatroopers.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 413
Its great to see TBM back. I will try your newest version, and will report any problems i will encounter. thanks for all you work i like it. :D

And the last two DLL options ...

Hovering units over water (ie coast/ice) become half-strengthed close-ranged units. They also have to return to land to heal.

Note: Because of the domain limitations for melee combat in UnitPanel.lua (a file I'm loathed to edit), the only way a hovering unit can attack a ship is to change into a ranged unit when over water.

Attachments

• HoveringCoastalAttacks.jpg
    HoveringCoastalAttacks.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 444
it's great to have gunships that can now be used to clear out enemy embarked units on the coast, but:

- when hovering over coast tile, the gunship does not seem to have any defense strength at all. A trireme can destroy it without taking any damage. (Happened in my game, and then happened again in mock game just to test it)

- since the gunship's turn ends after making its ranged attack, it is completely vulnerable to any enemy ship around.

So either the gunship should be able to move after its attack, or it needs enough defense strenght to resist low-level sea units at least.

- when hovering over coast tile, the gunship does not seem to have any defense strength at all.
Thanks for the info, I'll stick it on the list of things to check out.

How did you get hovering units to move over ocean tiles without embarking? I've gotten them to go through shore tiles without embarking, but not the ocean.

Hovering units (helicopter and smaller airship) don't enter ocean tiles they have to embark (and boy was that hard work!)

The bigger airship isn't actually a "hoverer" but a "can move all terrain", see PROMOTION_INFERNAL_MOVEMENT_II in UnitsSteampunkAirship.xml in "Units - Steampunk Airships"

Attachments

• TBM.zip
    370.9 KB · Views: 57
  • boring_machine_portrait.png
    boring_machine_portrait.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 354
  • unitaction_tbm_gold.png
    unitaction_tbm_gold.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 53
  • unitaction_tbm_silver.png
    unitaction_tbm_silver.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 58
A small request here: Would it be possible to make a promotion that doubles movement in Hills, similar to the one we have for Forests/Jungles? That would be pretty sweet.

it's great to have gunships that can now be used to clear out enemy embarked units on the coast, but:

- when hovering over coast tile, the gunship does not seem to have any defense strength at all. A trireme can destroy it without taking any damage.

I think I now understand what's happening here. The trireme doesn't actually detect the hovering unit in the tile and just sails straight through it. That causes the "capture" code to kick in, but you can't capture a combat unit, so the unit is killed. Unfortunately the "quick fix" breaks all the hover over ice/coast pathfinding code :(

Where can I download the Tunnel Boring Machine?

Also, is there a way to change it so it makes a road connection instead of railway?

Where can I download the Tunnel Boring Machine?
http://www.picknmixmods.com/mods/79a5acf9-2054-4632-b78f-03c9c4d56651/mod.html

Also, is there a way to change it so it makes a road connection instead of railway?

In ImprovementTunnel.xml in that mod

Code:
<Row>
  <Type>BUILD_TUNNEL</Type>
  <PrereqTech>TECH_COMBUSTION</PrereqTech>
  <!-- Twice a mine plus a railroad -->
  <Time>1800</Time>
  <!-- This is a one-shot unit ... TBM's are usually burried at the end of the project -->
  <Kill>1</Kill>
  <ImprovementType>IMPROVEMENT_TUNNEL</ImprovementType>
  <!-- Improvements can now include routes -->
  [COLOR="Red"][B]<RouteType>ROUTE_RAILROAD</RouteType>[/B][/COLOR]
</Row>

But be warned, I don't think workers will be able to upgrade the road into a railway.

One more question about tunnels. If you delete the <RouteType></RouteType> row entirely, does it make the mountain impassable, or does it just make the cell function like plains?

without the road/rail the tile will still be impassable to all other units

Can I use the road version as an ancient UI for another of my Japanese mods (Miyoshi), so long as I cite you?

Also, does the tunnel mod require the Incan DLC because of the art?

Top Bottom