TES : The Stormcloak Rebellion V2

Also posted an article to cover some of the missing explanations, waiting for something more integrated.

exemple3.png

Did you put optionnal sounds on or are they only minimal ones ?

I'll try to send you altered sound files to match better usual civ2 ones.
If you meant was line 26817 commented when I had these other crashes the answer is yes it was.

So, following the format issue clue,

Could you please put this attached sound file in the "TESScenarioFolder\sound\ScenarioMusics" folder please,
then get back this line to play and check if it is then still crashing your game ?

:)
As requested, I replaced the wav file in the "/ScenarioMusics" folder and uncommented line 26817 and unfortunately I'm back to square one where the game crashes as soon as the 'ravager' unit enters Kolskeggr.

As requested, I replaced the wav file in the "/ScenarioMusics" folder and uncommented line 26817 and unfortunately I'm back to square one where the game crashes as soon as the 'ravager' unit enters Kolskeggr.
Much thanks.
Well, that does help, somehow.

The issue comes from calling wav sounds on your win7 with totpp 18.4.

I'll install a 18.4 totpp on win10 to launch tests

The issue comes from calling wav sounds on your win7 with totpp 18.4.

I'll install a 18.4 totpp on win10 to launch tests

Just to confirm I had no issues with sound files when playing John's Hinge of Fate with the same parameters, i.e. Windows 7 and ToTPP 0.184.

Just tested with totpp18.4 on win10 with downloaded files, it works fine. :(

Which version of directx do you have tootall please ?
Do you play in compatibility mode ?

It appears as though I have version 11 installed:

directx.png

I've never needed to use compatibility mode when playing Civ on my Windows 7 computer.

Just to confirm I had no issues with sound files when playing John's Hinge of Fate
On the other hand, I don't see this scenario using the civ.playSound() function.
Yes it does ! :undecide:

Could you try with the first version of this scenario to check if the function crashes your game again please ?
I believe it worked (though with a different sound file) at the time, didn't it ?

I still had the first version of your scenario installed and can confirm that it works fine, i.e. it doesn't crash.

Both versions of your scenario are located within the same ToT directory, i.e. it's exactly the same set up for both.

This is very odd. I have 2 computers, my primary computer runs on Windows 10 and is were I basically have all my other programs/games. My secondary computer runs Windows 7 and is the one I use almost exclusively to run/play Civ2 because no matter what I've tried I can't get it to run as smoothly on my Windows 10 (unit movement always lags 0.5 to 1 second).

So I just tried to install and run TESStormcloakRebellionV2 on my Windows 10 and it crashed there as well! I'm not sure what is going on here as so far I've been able to successfully install and run every single ToT lua based scenario that have been released to date, including Knighttime's Medieval Millenium which had a very unique installation of its own.

It would be interesting to find out if any one else that runs Windows 7 has run into any problems or if I'm the only one.

Last edited:
Guess it or not, I was useless enough to create a new account on ModDb, which delayed a little the banner setting.

It is now uploaded !
[IMG alt="exemple.png"]https://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/exemple-png.645618/[/IMG]

I tryed to create little videos to present quickly each faction and its position, and few others to show key features yet, ... pop up dialog frame are not captured by the xbox bar (I'll look into it though)
Looks good! and nice work on creating an dev article too. I find their article/blog system quite useful for attracting new fans as they go up on their main news page for all to see and are also good for sharing around social media too (as you've no doubt seen me doing).

It would be interesting to find out if any one else that runs Windows 7 has run into any problems or if I'm the only one.
I'm still rocking Win7 but I've been too busy to give this latest version of the mod a try yet. I remember having no troubles last time a few months ago though. I'll try to have a go this weekend.

I've finally had a chance to play a bit - I'm really enjoying the scenario now that I know a bit more about it/how to make it work. My strategy as the Imperials basically has been to build Training Grounds everywhere so I can pump out veteran legionaries and then have them upgrade to Captains (and occasionally, Captains to Legates). I seem to have enough cash flow to make this work, so hopefully it is a viable long term strategy.

There's so much to learn in this scenario but it isn't that counter intuitive. Once I figured out that "2" allows you to understand how your units are armed, that really helped. If I could make a suggestion, it would be awesome if pressing 2 also showed you what the actual strength and firepower of the particular unit is, so you don't have to do the conversions in your head. I'm not sure how easy, or difficult, that would be. I will say, it's great to see how you've used the unit ids in such a way that all the different units have different strengths and equipment. This is definitely perfect for a scenario like this.

I'm not that far along (only on the 27th of Last Seed) but my plan is essentially to try and consolidate the bandit lands near Solitude before tackling the Forsworn in the west. I'll stay defensive elsewhere. I used the Karth River to land near Folgunthur and Snowhawk Fort, taking them both, and then marched overland to Robbers' Gorge and now Dead Respite. Once the latter is taken, I intend to march west towards Broken Tower.

Offensive 1.PNG

My plan after that is to take forces I'm quickly building up in Markarth and to join forces with Tullius' main army, retaking Harmugstahl, and driving on to Kolskeggr and Refugees Camp before ultimately turning back east and attacking towards Khartspire while hopefully seeing a reinforcement army arrive from Solitude to Robbers' Gorge.

Future Offensive.PNG

In the meanwhile, I need to send scouts out to look for other Forsworn villages so I can eradicate the problem rather than simply weakening it. I hope doing this won't allow the Stormcloaks to get too strong, though I'm noticing that they are fighting back and forth with rebels and losing (and retaking) villages in the East.

Certainly a fun scenario, if one that requires a few restarts to get the hang of things! I was getting my butt kicked until I figured out how to upgrade and seek out better weapons. Now I feel I have much better chances.

Thanks a lot John for this review. Those are many things one can't see alone indeed. :)

If I could make a suggestion, it would be awesome if pressing 2 also showed you what the actual strength and firepower of the particular unit is, so you don't have to do the conversions in your head. I'm not sure how easy, or difficult, that would be.
That's a good suggestion to think about : there's just some reflexion needed about how to display it (it becomes a question with units using both weapons and magic which uses only one each round).

My strategy as the Imperials basically has been to build Training Grounds everywhere so I can pump out veteran legionaries and then have them upgrade to Captains (and occasionally, Captains to Legates). I seem to have enough cash flow to make this work, so hopefully it is a viable long term strategy.
That's an interesting one. :) We'll see depending on your results whether or not it shall be nerfed :D (guess would be "setting off veteran status to created units unlocked by training ground improvement").

In the meanwhile, I need to send scouts out to look for other Forsworn villages so I can eradicate the problem rather than simply weakening it.

There again, an interresting goal I should follow.
Please let us show if you manage to do it. I will think about a soft way to make this impossible.

I hope doing this won't allow the Stormcloaks to get too strong, though I'm noticing that they are fighting back and forth with rebels and losing (and retaking) villages in the East.

I limited myself from simulating with Lua assaults from AI's powers. Guess I'll finally give a go to it to make the confrontation more lively. :)

Certainly a fun scenario, if one that requires a few restarts to get the hang of things! I was getting my butt kicked until I figured out how to upgrade and seek out better weapons. Now I feel I have much better chances.
Much thanks !

Have you tried exploring around ?
Did you already make use of the carriage ?

Last edited:
That's an interesting one. :) We'll see depending on your results whether or not it shall be nerfed :D (guess would be "setting off veteran status to created units unlocked by training ground improvement").

I have found that until you get captains (and really, until they are veterans), it's very difficult to win fights against, well, anything. But then, this is with everyone having straight iron equipment too, and early in the game. It will be interesting to see how things do later in the game. But, if you're going to use the barracks improvement as the prereq for the legionaries, you might want to disable veteran status when they are built. You also might just consider making the barracks cost more upkeep - at 1 gpt it's kind of a no brainer to go for them.

There again, an interresting goal I should follow.
Please let us show if you manage to do it. I will think about a soft way to make this impossible.

You might consider tucking a city for each civ off in the underworld somewhere, (or maybe found one for each of the playable tribes if "isHuman == false" for the tribe on turn 1). Then you could still keep them around (I do think there should be a great reduction in them if you do get them off the main map as it isn't shaping up to be all that easy!!!)

Have you tried exploring around ?
Did you already make use of the carriage ?

I used the exploration in an earlier "mess around" game and haven't really made it a part of this one. I did have a question though - does exploring in certain areas do anything special? I captured one city in the underworld (the one far to the east where the Imperials start with a camp nearby) and it didn't have any effect. Should I be exploring in that area? I wasn't sure if you were using zones or such in that system, or if it is all random.

I haven't used the carriage yet, no. I'll have to give it a shot. There's just so much new in this scenario I simply forgot about it.

Definitely a fun one! Well done!

Enjoying this scenario immensely Dadais. The new mechanics including upgrading veteran units and having some units survive unsuccessful combat really breathe new life into the old civ2 bones! It took a little time to fully grasp the 'rock-paper-scissors' gameplay as far as 2-handed weapon units vs shield units vs ranged units goes, but very much enjoying this mechanic too. Also took a little time to understand that it's a risky proposition to attack full-health units; far better to dig in defensively to their front and wait for them to attack you and expend their health. I must admit I have beefed up the imperial unit stats to make this tactic viable and give recruits at least a chance of defeating low health enemies and be able to upgrade. The map is excellent and, damn you, has made me want to reinstall Skyrim again for the umteenth time :)

I had this lua console message pop up after enemy turns a couple of times btw. Doesn't seem to affect the scenario or cause a crash:

error2.png

I wonder if it would be possible via lua to give a visual indication of weapon and enchantment upgrades btw? You have a few unit slots left I guess and for the Imps and Stormcloaks it would be handy to have a clue as to their gear strength.

Last edited:
Enjoying this scenario immensely Dadais. The new mechanics including upgrading veteran units and having some units survive unsuccessful combat really breathe new life into the old civ2 bones! It took a little time to fully grasp the 'rock-paper-scissors' gameplay as far as 2-handed weapon units vs shield units vs ranged units goes, but very much enjoying this mechanic too. The map is excellent and, damn you, has made me want to reinstall Skyrim again for the umteenth time
That's great ! Much thanks for this review ! :)

Also took a little time to understand that it's a risky proposition to attack full-health units; far better to dig in defensively to their front and wait for them to attack you and expend their health. I must admit I have beefed up the imperial unit stats to make this tactic viable and give recruits at least a chance of defeating low health enemies and be able to upgrade.
That's an interresting strategy :) .
I was rather thinking about going with group-building, leaving as few units alone as possible thus selecting wisely targets towards which sending these considering one's objectives.

Magic-wielder (particulary did I find invocators with their summons) are also a strong help when needing to initiate a fight against a fresh ennemy. Maybe can the college of winterhold help you with that, providing an expedition in that direction* playing as the imperial to explore next to it ?

I'd say, you could also look for exploration in Castle Dour* playing as imperial to see if your recruits and volunteers could benefit from it ?

In the end, all units do benefit incredibly from better gear, which can be bought with a forge providing one selected the corresponding forging policies (ending with the dragon bone one). Upgrading gears into dragon bone forging costs A LOT, so a lot of explorations in wisely selected places and in well planned conditions, sometimes with the right kind of units, are needed to gives dragon bone gears to all.

*Indeed, anyone shall play the way he whishes too. Howether, those are quite some benefits hidden there and there for those who take the time to explore, discovering benefits :)
I'd say, even more deep in the sea ... :D

I had this lua console message pop up after enemy turns a couple of times btw. Doesn't seem to affect the scenario or cause a crash:
Well done finding this bug.
That's not a problem for your playthrought : It only makes it impossible for one of the illness to be given by wild creatures.

It is corrected for the patch to come ! Much thanks !

I wonder if it would be possible via lua to give a visual indication of weapon and enchantment upgrades btw? You have a few unit slots left I guess and for the Imps and Stormcloaks it would be handy to have a clue as to their gear strength.

I don't really understand there :
Do you mean a menu choice when pressing "2" giving a gear picture and displaying the unit strength (close and shooting for polyvalent fighters), which can be done
or a unit picture for each gear, which can't (each armed unit can have any gear between the 16 ones, same thing with magic users which can have their gear enchanted too and have the choice between 7 school of magic for 4 levels of mastery) unless we could have few hundred unit slots :D ?

Top Bottom