1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Civ V wish-list!!!

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Logitech, Nov 18, 2007.

1. rysmiel

rysmiel Emperor

I am a counterexample. I hate the bother of customising units, it was the one thing in AC I would most have wanted changed.

2. rysmiel

rysmiel Emperor

Oh, I think religious purges and the like should be simulatable in Civ; they should just have long-term, rankling, nasty effects to make them things one does not do except in extreme circumstances.

I don't know. One thing I have been mulling on is something like the Enlightenment, as either a tech or some suitable government type (down with civics ! fixed governments forever !) where you get bonuses for having as little religion as possible, or alternatively some set up where you get additive bonuses for each different religion that at least 5% (or 10%) of your citizens have but penalties whenever any one goes over 20% (this would work better with religion counted by citizen rather than by city.)

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

The problem with having religious purges in the game, is that it probably wouldn't be very good publicity for the series. I can just imagine the headlines of, 'Game allows re-enactment of Holocaust'.

4. rysmiel

rysmiel Emperor

I am not sure I think religious purges are any more likely to read that way than the game allowing you to fight wars based around exterminating an enemy civilisation - and indeed, get benefits from doing so in therms of war weariness going away.

5. Camikaze

Yeah. I 'spose, but religion is a more contentious issue. This is why they deliberately put different religions in the game as identical, in all but name. Religious purges, with any advantages, could be construed by some to mean that the series was condoning religious violence and extermination. And that wouldn't be good for sales.

6. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

7. exhile

exhile Prince

Sometimes the way weapon systems and military units work in reality aren't applicable to a game on the PC. Take for your Navy Seals example, I think they Navy Seals should be rid of and replaced as a "Special Forces" promotion. A strength level 4 is required because only a few experienced soldiers from their respective miliarties is selected. Also, Russia & the UK have their own special forces which means this promotion is applicable to them as well.

8. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

That's exactly what I was worried about.

9. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I think I can answer this one .

Soren, on the Civ IV Game of the year edition DVD , made the case that more than a turn-based strategy game , Civ is a tile -based strategy game. Players like to know at a glance whether a tile is "fish or fowl", not try to estimate the percentage of each terrain type at a particular pixel ( and it's radius ), and how this would affect movement, defense, and yields before and after various improvements. Knowing terrain at a glance keeps the game easier, faster, and more fun.

I think hexes are the solution.

10. RedBananna

RedBananna Chieftain

The ability to zoom in to see battles and city streets in detail.

11. Camikaze

That would be very cool and all, but some people's comps couldn't deal with it. But who cares about them I say. :joke:

12. Zeeba_238

Zeeba_238 pearls before swine fan

Amen to that.

13. RedBananna

RedBananna Chieftain

1: Give an even more epic scale, include a new age, being the Space Age with the ability to build spaceships to colonize other worlds, then manage the colonies as if they would manage cities on the homeworld, for example players would begin colonizing the moon, then a Mars like planet, then a wide variety of other planets in the solar system with other players colonizing the worlds as well, and a wide variety of alien races would replace barabarians.

The Space Race victory would be replaced by the Space Dominion victory, holding at least 10% of every planet in the solar system. (There would be only 3 or 4 planets per system to avoid extedning the games too much)

2: Improved graphics (Naturally) More Civics, and more distinctions between races.

3: Carry on all of the features from Civ IV

14. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

I personally would strongly dislike this.

15. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

I wouldn't strongly dislike it, but I think it falls too far outside the scope of the main Civ series (which is based - flavour-wise, at least - on history).

16. exhile

exhile Prince

A new 3D engine that can supplement clouds/fog, day/night and replicate rain drops. A new fog of war needs be implemented where areas that have not been revealed for a long time will compliment a day/night system on the entire map. Perhaps the use of a haze shade?

A day turn & a nignt turn is a good idea but I'd like to play a beta of it to see if this concept is valid or not.

17. exhile

exhile Prince

If these graphic options could be turned off in options, I'm up for it.

18. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

No, I hated the hexes in Civ II. I don't want them back. The grid is good.

19. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

Civ II didn't have hexes, it had rotated squares:

20. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I'm still quite happpy with the present, chessboard-like tiles. I bet most gamers are.