The Classic Maya

Yeah. I have the initial graphic done. I've been occupied with the Gallic Wars mod over the last week but I won't keep you waiting much longer.
I'll have a look at your most recent list then and see if there's anything else I might be able for.

Updated building graphics request list:

Small Wonder: Yajaw Maan
This is an effigy of the god K'awiil, mounted on some sort of pole so-that it can be carried along on campaigns. Pedica icons, city icon, and wondersplash needed.

Improvements - need pedia pics and city icons:
Altar (city icon done, but could stand replacement or improvement)
Harbour (a primitive harbour - gotta get rid of those cranes!)
Putun Emporium (sea-side warehouses)
Zoomorph (a big slab of stone crudely shaped into an animal or animal head, covered with inscriptions and carvings)

Trai is (allegedly :p) working on the zoomorph. :)

Hey, Buddy! Don't say I never give you presents!
Seriously, though - I hope it's ok. I used the picture you posted a while back but, at 128x128 there's only so much you can do with a block of stone!

I nicked an ancient harbour graphic from Plot's Rood & Dragon that'll do if nobody can be arsed to make a dedicated one, and made a mutilated version of it to serve as the Putun Emporium. What remains of my request list is then:

Small Wonder: Yajaw Maan
This is an effigy of the god K'awiil, mounted on some sort of pole so-that it can be carried along on campaigns. Pedica icons, city icon, and wondersplash needed.

Improvements - need pedia pics and city icons:
Altar (city icon done, but could stand replacement or improvement)

Further, I realize I could use a better Barracks gfx than the vanilla ancient one, and I still need a tech icon for Total War.

I'm a bit stumped on these ones! i don't suppose you have any source material for Yajaw Maan?
I actually did start work on a barracks a while back but not with any result to my satisfaction.

Maybe I ought change that one to something else, since finding info on it is hard.

FWIW, here's a sculpture of Kawiil, the god the Yajaw Maan was a representation of:

Here's a short description hinting why I want the thing in:
Jasaw Chan K’awiil I, would be victorious in this battle [the great battle between Tikal and Calakmul in AD 695], at a place called Yellow Rabbit and would “bring down the flint and shield” of Calakmul, meaning that Jasaw captured Yich’aak K’ak’ (Fiery Claw) and the image of the patron god of Calakmul, [yahaw maan].

Maya armies, like all Mesoamerican troops, carried their patron gods with them into battle and attempted to capture the king as well as the patron god of the opposing forces. They would also try to reach the temple structure dedicated to that god and set fire to it.

Jasaw Chan K’awiil I was later paraded through the causeways of Mutal on a jaguar skin litter – much like a Roman triumph. He let blood, which means that he pierced his own body so that he could bleed on paper to burn with copal (pom) incense. By doing this he was able to conjure up his own patron god as part of a ritual celebration of his victory. It may be assumed that Yich’aak K’ak’ (Fiery Claw), the fallen and captured ahaw of Calakmul, was humiliated and then sacrificed in an elaborate ritual.

*****​

Finally, a picture of a Maya altar:

This is the most famous of them all, Altar Q from Copán, depicting the sixteen Copanec rulers from Yax K'uk' Mo' (2nd from the left on the front side) to Yax Pasaj Chaan Yoaat (3rd from the left).

Ironically, in all probability, these structures weren't used in away we'd think of as "altars" - they seem to've been platforms for public speechifying and similar ceremonies.

I do love Mayan design! That top sculpture is fantastic!
I'll have a look at these tmwr and see if I can do something. Too tired right now!
Catch ya then!

In a transparent attempt at making it look like I'm not leaving all actual work to Trai, I've put in a k'atun glyph as the city icon for the Glyphic Staircase - making a convincing staircase at that scale is very hard, and the glyph, indicating a period of somewhat less than twenty years, is appropriate enough for a monument recounting dynastic history - and my "spear and fire" tech icon (see below) for the Total War tech. It's not exactly what I originally wanted, but I think it's atmospheric.

Download

Once the last few gfx pieces drop in, I plan to release a final beta, fixing whatever bugs people discover, and then finalize the scenario. :)

I have something done on the Temple on fire thing you asked for. Working on the Yajaw Maan now. Will u/load shortly.

The remaining thing, once Trai is done with the Yajaw Maan, would be the Altar ('pedia pics and preferably also improved city screen icon).

@Trai: Forgot I asked you about the Aztec temple thing. :blush: Well, I'll see if I use that or the spear-and-fire thing.

The first site has already been ransacked for some graphics - in particular, you may recognize ol' Pakal's head as the wonderspash for Kaloomte'lel, and the masque of death and rebirth as part of the diplo interface. :)

I've looked thru the later page, but didn't find anything that seemed useful.

Sorry I didn't manage to upload last night. I'll see to it tonight at some stage. The Ajaw Maan still has me a little stumped but bear with me. I'll keep experimenting.

Top Bottom