1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Classic Maya

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by The Last Conformist, Aug 3, 2005.

1. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Thanks for the input. :)

Toniná is indeed tough - try any other faction for an easier cruise.

I'm surprised you think the tech pace is too high, and that units come in too quick succession; other players have complained about the opposite. You can, of course, fiddle with tech costs and scenario length yourself to see if you like it better that way.

There are indeed space for building a great many cities, but I'm not sure how that would contribute to your unease?

2. Mentat

Mentat Illienthir Master

I guess theere is two ways to improve, one is lengthening the gametime, thus starting much earlier. I am not too keen on Mayan History, but I think the earliest developments could be around 500 AD.

The second possibility would be decreasing the number of possible places to build new cities, thus giving the Civs more time to improve their culture and take on for some warfare.

Of course I could give it a try and manipulate the gamesettings myself. But then I am pretty occupied with my own scenario, which I hope to present to the community in some time. The reason, why I am so interrested in this scenario lies eventually in the similarities. Quite as in the Mayan epoche, the early Mesopotamian City-States were in constant warfare and struggle for power and resources. It was not before the Akkadian King Sargon I. , when finally one city managed to bring the entire region under one reign. I am really looking forward to bring this specific period to life in CIV III. But it still needs a lot of work done, eventhough such great mods as TAM feature already plenty of artwork, ideas and units.

3. The Last Conformist

AD 500? Currently, the scenario begins in AD 250, the conventional starting date for the Classic.

I'm not keen to increase the turn count, since that would strech the tech tree out painfully.

4. Mentat

Mentat Illienthir Master

Sorry TLC, I didn't check the starting year. 250 AD seems perfect.
    Maybe it should be just a little longer. Its just, that I personally prefer to first build up a Civ, before any troubles arise with neighbors. In the Classic Maya scenario, the game is over, when your Tribe hardly had a chance to set foot in the world. Maybe lessening the places to build new towns is a way to go, .... but I fear, I have no real solution to this.

When you increase the number of turns, the Techs should be harder to research. That could solve at least one issue.

5. The Last Conformist

Only, most who have commented thought the techs came too fast.

Lessening the settlable area is possible, but I don't think I'll release a such version right now. However, it will be kept in mind for the expansion that I have on the backburner.

6. MPK

MPK prince

And i thought i was the only one i would ever meet that knew Palenque was called 'Lakam Ha'.

Q:to designer...do all different city states have their own unique temple structures? I notice that in your screen shots that Palenque had a Tikal styled Pyramid. I can't wait to give this a crack.

Would love to find a Scenario of Mesoamerica that dated a bit earlier.. You could have the 4 Mayan Tribes, 4 Nahui peoples from the north...????? ... hhhmmmm , maybe i could learn to do one...

hope I can download it. :)

7. andreschcr2

andreschcr2 Chieftain

Still playing this scenario on Oct 1st 2020...on a virtual machine so that it runs Civ3 conquests :):love::king:

8. D551

D551 Warlord

Hey @andreschcr2 would I be able to get a copy of that from you? This scenario looks awesome. I cant seem to find a link on here that works.

9. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I just downloaded it from the link near the bottom of the first post, and it seems to be working just fine in Conquests.

D551 likes this.