• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

21 June update

TCW v2.0 - The Fifties

all of the air units are finally in :) so i moved onto adding in the new lines of sea units. these tasks of adding in all of these units and reviewing/revising the stats can be painfully brutal. so i'm sort of on autopilot when going through w/ these mundane entries. nonetheless, the units lines, on the whole, are receiving a pretty good upgrade and by that i mean that any gaps that may have existed in v1.6 and before are now filled - at least for the time frame of v2.0 (1950-1960).

there'll be a new unit class added into the sea unit lines: frigates. they'll operate in the asw role (detect invisible) and will be the primary sea unit overseas build. the DDs will be larger and more powerful asw platforms.

there'll also be some more pre-placed sea units for some of the higher end civs like some more USN and RN cruisers (CL & CA). later on, there'll be available some conversion types (CLGs & DDGs) that are period related.

the SS/SSN/SSBN line will see perhaps the greatest changes in that the A/D values will be ramped way down and the bombard no's and RoF will be ratcheted up much like the subs are in AoI. they'll retain their 'invisble' flag also. the Soviets will likely have several classes of subs autopro'd also (haven't gotten to them yet).

the US will get all four Iowas :D the Brits will retain the Vanguard, and the french get their Richelieu.

more carriers will be on the map to start, too. any that were built and/or commissioned during the 50s will be autopro'd. and most importanly, the transport capacity for them will all be hiked way up. earlier TCW versions imo do not adequetely depict the power projection that carriers grant in real life. so this is one thing we're going to keep an eye on during testing.

there's also going to be a whole new set of air units: the naval/carrier based ones. by using the 'tactical missile' flag trick, we're going to restrict only these units to the carriers. these naval/marine corps air units will be the overseas air unit builds for the applicable civs. by 'overseas' i mean that civs like the UK, france, the US etc will be able to build the air force type air units only in the homeland and the cv-planes only abroad thus forcing AI and human player air unit diversification.

shown below is the Royal Navy and her stash of floating goodies for v2.0 :D

That is sweet. Good to hear about the frigates to.

it'll be both dferrill. we're actually working on the MP file as we go along. and there'll be 2 maps: the huge one which is the one that will be reserved for MP and SP (albeit a little mor eturn-time intensive) and also a conversion of the AoI map for a sleeker and toned down version :)

Why don't you give the UK an extra city in the Shetlands above scapa? Shetland had a radar station which was very important for the UK during the cold war, in the latter half BP also established a large oil terminal. The city could be called Lerwick. Just a suggestion, doesn't matter if you are not interested!

Small scale city inclusion is not really something that adds to the game; it can be simulated with an airbase or radar tower. Furthermore, it has the potential to be rather imbalanced.

Scapa isn't even an actual city, nor was the RN based there after WW2; but it serves a purpose of interdicting the Soviet route out into the Atlantic quite nicely.

There is a bit of room in mainland Britain for a few more cities.

Does anyone know of an alternate dload site for TCW Deluxe?
For what ever reason I can't dl the file from 3D Downloads. Any help greatly appreciated.

png

IMO I think Thunderfall or someone should look into alternate ways of distributing this stuff, like using torrents to distribute big stuff, hell I would be willing to seed 24/7 for this site.

And torrents are not illegal because I have many Linux builds that I download and seed to help the open source community. But any ways I think their needs to be another site we could download from.

IMO I think Thunderfall or someone should look into alternate ways of distributing this stuff, like using torrents to distribute big stuff, hell I would be willing to seed 24/7 for this site.

As far as distribution of "this stuff" there is the UseNet. The files could be posted to the alt.games.civ3 group and would be accessible to anyone who wanted to download them.

It will take forever to upload.

Personanongrata,

here's an alternative DL site for you:

http://z10.invisionfree.com/SOE_forum/index.php?showtopic=49

that site is my home away from home :)

also - wrt the problems you're having at 3DDownloads - i've noticed in the past that problems arise when one has the pop-up blocker enabled on your web browser. you must disable this for a hot second in order to DL anything from there.

Thanks El Justo. I can't wait to get this puppy dled.

As for 3D's site, I disabled the pop-up blocker and enabled cookies I made it through the queue period and got to the dl screen but when I clicked on the dl button nothing would happen. I contacted 3D and explained my problem but we could not find a solution to my dl problem.

Thanks again El Justo.

P.S. Played The Vietnam Deluxe scenerio over the weekend and found it to be quite enjoyable.

png

Thanks El Justo. I can't wait to get this puppy dled.

As for 3D's site, I disabled the pop-up blocker and enabled cookies I made it through the queue period and got to the dl screen but when I clicked on the dl button nothing would happen. I contacted 3D and explained my problem but we could not find a solution to my dl problem.

Thanks again El Justo.

P.S. Played The Vietnam Deluxe scenerio over the weekend and found it to be quite enjoyable.

png

I always have to go through it twice.

I just had a thought - about where that RN fleet is deployed will be one of the staging point for Strike Fleet Atlantic's nuclear raids on the Western USSR with the Whales during the opening days of WW3.

Yes, I'm already planning.

El Justo,

Wow. The level of detail is amazing. Great scenerio. How many man hours did it take to put this puppy together? As I'm sure the many who posted before me have critiqued, I alas must do the same.

Here we go:

Preface: Please keep in mind that my playing time with the TCW scenerio is limited to playing the USofA on demi-god for 120 turns.
My main crtitique is the slow production speeds in very large cities (65+ population).

One example would be the production of the M26 and or M48 mbt. In reality these weapons were built on assembly lines similiar to those used by the automotive industries and tanks would roll off the "line" to the tune of roughly 11,000 M48 mbts from 1952 through 1957. Thank you Henry Ford.

The slow rate strategic bombers are built. Thirty turns between bombers being built is a little extreme, especially if you look at the actual number of
B52s that were built from 1955 to 1962, almost 750 were built.

What about some air bases on the Korean Peninsula or the P.I.? Osan, Kimpo and or Clarke NAS. No american military presence in the P.I. at all? The P.I. was americas strategic/pacific crown jewel in the early to mid cold war.

What about Guam? Guam also played a very strategic role in the cold war Andersen AFB or the deep water harbor at Guam NS or the NAS whose name escapes me.

Oh, I really love the fact that you have an airbase on Diego Garcia.

I don't know if this is a "bug" in the scenerio or in C3C but while launching bombing runs using B29, B36, B52(from Seattle) bombers from Pyongyang to Vladivostock the bombers would not go on bombing runs but just ended their turns. No bombers lost no damage inflicted. This continued until I took Vladivostock. Strange.

Thank you and all those who contributed to this awesome scenerio.

On my Scenerio "O" Meter TCW Deluxe rates a 9.999999 out of ten.

Looking foward to TCW 2.0.

png

Top Bottom