The crucifixion

Nick Garai

Prince
Everyone knows the story of the crucifixion. God died on the cross and rose again from the dead. This is the central and core most important argument that gives Christianity its strength and foundation for existence. No other religion has anthing as significant as this.

For anyone who wants to argue/debate this ONE topic from any religion both for or against or those who don't care, go at it.

Did it happen? Does it matter? Is it relevant?

Athiests, Protestants, Mormons, Catholics, Muslims are all invited.

Then argue against it. Why it is a fallible notion? What makes it ridiculous? Why is it such a unique act?

Did it happen? Does it matter? Is it relevant?

Maybe, yes, and I don't know.

The crucifixion may or may not have happened. However, the story of it matters either way, since over a billion people seem to believe it does and behave accordingly. Billions more must interact with the 1.8ish billion who believe and behave accordingly.

As for relevance, I don't know what you mean. Is it relevant to the course of history, or is the crucifixion relevant to my life? It has little relevance to my life.

Was there a man named Jesus that was crucified? Probably. Crucification was common then and for many years after. Was he the son of god? No.

Does it matter? Yes. Even as one who doesn't need to believe in such silliness I have to deal with the hassles imposed by the self righteous "moral majority" every day.

Does it matter? Yes. Even as one who doesn't need to believe in such silliness I have to deal with the hassles imposed by the self righteous "moral majority" every day.

I would venture to say that this "moral majority" is not really representative of Christianity, in the same sort of manner that the Soviet Union is not really representative of Communism. Christianity teaches humility, and there is nothing that annoys me more than to see people touting about their religious affiliation, always affirming what good people they are, and how they are going to heaven, etc. The fact is that we just don't know who is going to heaven, we can only follow His teachings (including the ones about humility) and pray that he will have mercy enough to allow us to join Him in Heaven. That is why predestination is total crap, and why I can't stand presbyterians. You atheists think our religious rambling is nauseating, imagine being a theist and listening to THAT.

I believe that Jesus is the son of God (One of the persons in the Trinity) who suffered and died on the Cross for our sins. Rose again on the third day and ascended into heaven to be at the right hand of the Father. I believe that Jesus was actually crucified and rose into heaven on the third day.

Everyone knows the story of the crucifixion. God died on the cross and rose again from the dead. This is the central and core most important argument that gives Christianity its strength and foundation for existence. No other religion has anthing as significant as this.
You are mistaken with the assumption that God died on the cross. He didn't. God cannot die. The incarnation is presented as a mystery, but this much we know: God clothed Himself in flesh, and added a second nature- human- to His own Divine nature. The second Person of the trinity- Jesus Christ- was the One who took on human nature. Jesus in His humanity died on the cross. Jesus in His humanity rose from the dead. But Jesus in His Divine nature raised himself from the dead. Jesus would have to be somewhere to effect His own Resurrection, and He was- as God.

John 10:17-18
"The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

Christianity teaches humility, and there is nothing that annoys me more than to see people touting about their religious affiliation, always affirming what good people they are, and how they are going to heaven, etc. The fact is that we just don't know who is going to heaven, we can only follow His teachings (including the ones about humility) and pray that he will have mercy enough to allow us to join Him in Heaven.
Christianity also teaches that we are to believe in the promises of God. None of us believe we are going to Heaven, because we deserve to go there or are better than anybody else. You say "we just don't know who is going to heaven"; yet, the Bible teaches us that we can know:

1st John 5:13
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Unlike every other religious faith though, Christianity is the one whose God did something unique - He incarnated himself and died for people instead of the other faiths using people sefishly for themselves or killing them for themselves.

The fact that christians worship a dying man on a cross tells me all I wish to know about that religion.

Jesus is a semi-mythical figure, which I suspect is a pastiche of various holy men of the era.

Every fantasy tale needs the hero.

CurtSibling, you have a way of arousing a response! LOL

It isn't a dying man that Believers worship. It is the risen Christ. As stupid as that sounds, if it were a dying man who we worshipped, that would mean there is no hope for ALL Christians in history and for humanity.

Unlike every other religious faith though, Christianity is the one whose God did something unique - He incarnated himself and died for people instead of the other faiths using people sefishly for themselves or killing them for themselves.

I think you need the qualifier, allegedly, before "incarnated himself". :lol:

It isn't a dying man that Believers worship. It is the risen Christ. As stupid as that sounds, if it were a dying man who we worshipped, that would mean there is no hope for ALL Christians in history and for humanity.
I strongly agree with that statement :clap:.

I must admit, it does make for a good plot twist. I'm sure you can find some pretty awesome miracles in other faiths too, though.

I must admit, it does make for a good plot twist. I'm sure you can find some pretty awesome miracles in other faiths too, though.

True, but this kind of miracle is one that has never been duplicated anywhere! The typical miracles are fleeing from an oppresive and powerful army to save a ragtag band of people.

Someone being healed.

The scope of a Diety LEAVING His Power and Authority and Glory to come down to a world so that He would be killed by the very people that He wants to redeem and then rise again is something that is just not comparable anywhere.

What is interesting s that if it didn't happen, then why the attention for 2,000 years? Why has NO ONE else historically been given that kind of attention for dying and then vanishing from tomb, then being seen again. As silly as it sounds that happening, WHY IS THERE NO ONE ELSE IN ALL OF HISTORY WHO HAS TRIED TO PULL THIS OFF WITH THE SAME KIND OF RESULTS??? WHY IS THIS SUCH A UNIQUE ACT???

god wanted the Colts in the Super Bowl.

No doubt, another high point in religious history to have Irsay give her some props in his post game comments.

I worry that god's head is getting too big.

True, but this kind of miracle is one that has never been duplicated anywhere! The typical miracles are fleeing from an oppresive and powerful army to save a ragtag band of people.

Someone being healed.

The scope of a Diety LEAVING His Power and Authority and Glory to come down to a world so that He would be killed by the very people that He wants to redeem and then rise again is something that is just not comparable anywhere.

What is interesting s that if it didn't happen, then why the attention for 2,000 years? Why has NO ONE else historically been given that kind of attention for dying and then vanishing from tomb, then being seen again. As silly as it sounds that happening, WHY IS THERE NO ONE ELSE IN ALL OF HISTORY WHO HAS TRIED TO PULL THIS OFF WITH THE SAME KIND OF RESULTS??? WHY IS THIS SUCH A UNIQUE ACT???

Why the attention for 2000 years? I'm not sure, why were tribal religions so popular for so long? Why did the pre christian religions that flourished for so long before christianity last so long? Probably because they gave the answers that people wanted to questions that they couldn't personally.

Pagan religions are also rife with the sacrificing of gods to save humanity/provide harvests/ etc. It's actually not so unbelievable provided you know what you're talking about.

Top Bottom