The Crusader States, a scenario for MEM II

Yoda Power

✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

The Crusades were a series of military conflicts of a religious character waged by Christians during 1095–1291, most of which were sanctioned by the Pope in the name of Christendom.[1] The Crusades originally had the goal of recapturing Jerusalem and the sacred "Holy Land" from Muslim rule and were originally launched in response to a call from the Eastern Orthodox Byzantine Empire for help against the expansion of the Muslim Seljuq dynasty into Anatolia.

The Crusader states were a number of mostly 12th- and 13th-century feudal states created by Western European crusaders in the Holy Land (ancient and modern Israel and Palestine). The Middle Eastern Islamic powers eventually conquered them. The name also refers to other territorial gains (often small and short-lived) made by medieval Christendom against Muslim and pagan adversaries.
- Wikipedia.

Introduction
This is the second classic scenario that was made for MEM II.

The scenario tries to cover the time period of the crusades, and the wars that was fought between Christians and Muslims.

Version
This is the first version (1.0) that has only been tested by myself and a few other people I hope that with time, and your help, we'll be able to make an even better version. As such all feedback is appeciated. :)

Requirements
You need to have the latest version of MEM II installed, in order to play it. Otherwise the scenario is pretty easy on your computer, with a standard sized map at 100:100.

Installation
1. Download the "CS.zip" file.
2. Unzip it directly to your Conquests\Scenarios folder (usually C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios)
3. Run Conquests and choose Civ-Content to access the MEM Crusader States.biq

Download
http://forums.civfanatics.com/./downloads.php?do=file&id=6823

Credits
Mod and scenario design:
embryodead & Yoda Power

Units:
aaglo, Aluminium, BeBro, Bjornlo, CamJH, CivArmy s. 1994, Dom Pedro II, embryodead, Gaias, Kinboat, Kindred72, Kryten, Lab Monkey, Orthanc, Plotinus, Sword_of_Geddon, utahjazz7, Yoda Power, zulu9812

Leaderheads:
CivArmy s. 1994, embryodead, jorde, Piernik, R8XFT, ShiroKobbure, sween32

Interface:
embryodead, mrtn, Olorin0222, PCHighway, Weasel Op

Terrain:
embryodead, Midnight Piper, Sn00py, Pounder, Rifleman, Yoda Power

Cities:
Aion, embryodead, mrtn, RedAlert, Yoda Power

Improvements, Wonders and Wonder Splashes:
aaglo, AK47, Ares de Borg, Bjornlo, crolador, embryodead, Hrafnkell, Kenta'arka, Lusikka755, mrtn, Plotinus, R8XFT, Rufus T. Firefly, SWalker, Traianus, Ukas, Unexisted, varwnos, Yoda Power

Tech Icons:
BeBro, embryodead, Kal-el, Keroro, mrtn, Partizanac, ronning, Rufus T. Firefly, Storm Grunt, utahjazz7, Yoda Power

Testing:
Azmorg, embryodead, LizardmenRule, Yoda Power

Other:
Wikipedia.org - many Civilopedia entries
Byzantium1200.com - 3d reconstructions of Hagia Sofia, Aqueduct of Valens and Theodosian Walls.
Peter Bruegel - Start menu background: "The Triumph of Death" (c. 1560)
Bernt Notke - Banner: "Totentanz" (15th century)
Redwallfortress - for providing Civilopedia descriptions for civilizations

If you find a piece of your work in the mod and you're not on the list, please let us know and we'll do our best to fix it!

Previews, these pictures are a bit old though, a few things have been changed since, for the better! ;)

Spoiler big shot by Winner :

very cool,

downloading and will play now ;)

one starter question:

Why can't i play as the Byzantines?
It's no problem to change it in the editor, but why didn't you make 'em playable?

Great, I will DL it immediately. Nice to see it's out.

I just started my first game as Jerusalem.. Things were going reasonably well but my iron resource just disappeared! Now I'm quite screwed, there's no iron at hand, no one to trade it with, and there's no way I can keep going just with archers...

The Byzantines (while very cool) were never a power player in the crusades and thats why they arent playable?

It wouldnt be historically accurate if the byzantines conquered all of palestine now would it?;)

Thanks for the nice comments. :)

one starter question:

Why can't i play as the Byzantines?
It's no problem to change it in the editor, but why didn't you make 'em playable?
They only play a minor role in the this scenario, and they would probably be too powerful.

I just started my first game as Jerusalem.. Things were going reasonably well but my iron resource just disappeared! Now I'm quite screwed, there's no iron at hand, no one to trade it with, and there's no way I can keep going just with archers...
Bad luck, that's all I can say. The scenario is supposed to be harder than your average game. Makes it so much more fun to play.

Excellent scenario, really. I love play as Armenia :king:

Only one thing disappoints me: the AI is razing cities like there's no tomorrow!!! It's really annoying :mad: I guess nothing can be done, except fake wonders, but there's no more room for them, right?

Bad luck Alan McG. Same thing happened to me :blush: awhile back in another scenario.

Going to start another game now, let's see how it turns out!

I found an error by the way, in the "Player Setup" screen the civilizations bonuses do not match the ones that the civ has if you click the "Description" button.. Jerusalem for instance has Militaristic and Religious in the Player Setup screen, but "Commercial and Seafaring" in the description..
I checked, it also happens with the other civs.

Typical, I must have forgotten it, when I did the civilopedia entries. Ohwell you can see them in the beginning, so it probably doesn't ruin the game for you.

Sorry :blush:

My anticipations were easily met after a short while of playing this scenario. I'm currently playing as the Edessans (or I should say owning as the Edessans). I believe in the first turn alone I captured two nearby enemy cities (though I did basically empty my city garrison's).

My allies and myself have succeeded in destroying the Turks. Now we've turned the tip of the holy spear towards the heathens in Armenia. While I've managed to capture one of their cities, it cost me quite a bit to do so. Very heavy losses, but after a major tactical blunder on my enemies part (and perhaps some crafty diplomacy on my part), I found some success along the Mediterranean and focusing on pushing west on the very north edge of the map.

Now for the inevitable critique: I do believe you need to beef up the strength of the Turks. The Christian Alliance (i.e. the Crusader States) managed to beat them in approximately 7-9 turns. And now, even though I have all the Crusader States and even a Muslim nation fighting them, we still are making very little headway against the Armenians.

I think you should try to power up the Turks a bit more, so they're a little more like Armenia and won't get toppled over so quickly. But other than that, this is a great scenario :goodjob: .

I'll try posting some pictures later tonight after I get home from my classes. That should be about 9:30 tonight. I basically have a 12+ hour day 3 days a week. Most of that time is spent waiting in between classes :sleep: .

Great scenario. The mere availability of the download made me fire up Civ instead of Bryce, to get some nice playtime. :D

Randomly assigned, I started a game as Jerusalem and within 4 turns, I was lord and master of the entire Holy Land, East and West of the Jordan River.

The Turks were easily defeated by the Christian alliance. I agree, they should be ALOT stronger. Right now, they're a pushover.

The Syrians are also not that strong and should be stronger as well. After all, they're representing the Saracens who eventually cleared the Levant from all Christian holdings.

Personally, I would also make the Byzantines playable, but make them extremely susceptable to corruption, giving them an inherent weakness. Also, they would not be allied-locked with the crusader states, but at war (locked) with the Muslim states. That would be quite a challenge!

My reasoning: Until Manzikert, the Byzantine Empire hadn't given up its rightful claim to the Holy Land.

Manzikert was in 1071, this is a little after that and the Byzantines had lost a lot of power in asia minor.

Apart from being the original reason for the crusades, the Byzantines didnt have a lot to do with them (apart from having Constantinople sacked by crusaders of course).

They were in the process of being beaten up by the seljuks at this time so werent really in any position for crusading which is why i reckon having them nonplayable is best.:)

Great scenario. The mere availability of the download made me fire up Civ instead of Bryce, to get some nice playtime. :D

Randomly assigned, I started a game as Jerusalem and within 4 turns, I was lord and master of the entire Holy Land, East and West of the Jordan River.

The Turks were easily defeated by the Christian alliance. I agree, they should be ALOT stronger. Right now, they're a pushover.
That's how they are intended to be. Basicly they are just there to give you the feeling of being in a foreign land with lots of Muslims.

The Syrians are also not that strong and should be stronger as well. After all, they're representing the Saracens who eventually cleared the Levant from all Christian holdings.
No the Syrians represent the Emirate of Damascus. It is the Zangids that are the future threat.

Top Bottom