The Crusader States, a scenario for MEM II

Oh OK, I stand corrected. Somehow I had Manzikert at 1171. My bad!

So the Syrians are Damascus and the Zangids are the Saracens? Fair enough.
So far, in my game, it's the Fatimids in Egypt who are the only real threat to my lands. Eilat (sp?) has changed hands many times back and forth as it seems to be the point where the Fatimids concentrate their forces. They did overrun my border fortress SW of Gaza as well, though... a diversion?

Manzikert was in 1071, this is a little after that and the Byzantines had lost a lot of power in asia minor.

I believe they had lost control of the Holy Land before Manzikert, which had effectively tossed them out of Anatolia almost entirely. And it did greatly deprive them of a huge source of wealth and manpower.

Where's Belisarius when you need him, huh?

TopGun69 said:
Oh OK, I stand corrected. Somehow I had Manzikert at 1171. My bad!

So the Syrians are Damascus and the Zangids are the Saracens? Fair enough.
So far, in my game, it's the Fatimids in Egypt who are the only real threat to my lands. Eilat (sp?) has changed hands many times back and forth as it seems to be the point where the Fatimids concentrate their forces. They did overrun my border fortress SW of Gaza as well, though... a diversion?
Land some forces behind their lines, well west of the Nile perhaps. Also, a little espionage should help you decide where to land as well.

After several games played (not all till the end) I have no complaints whatsoever, the scenario is great.. My only suggestion for a further version would be to include different flavoured crusaders. I'm not familiar with the history of the crusades so I don't know whether each Christian faction had their own version or they where all in the same pot so to speak (as seen in Ridley Scott's movie, which is basically the only source I have and I guess is quire inaccurate).
But very cool scenario!

a really great scenario :goodjob:

currently i`m playing as the zangids, and since i just captured Jerusalem :D
i thought about sharing my opinion.

since the first turn was skiped for me and i knew the crusaders would deal with the trukish quite fast, i decided to declare war on the trukish and fatimids right away. the less citys the crusaders get the less i would have to conquer in the end :p

additonally i declared war on syria, to unite the arab lands under my control.

it was a real fast war, with the ansars quicly advancing throuh the syrian teritory, i was able to capture ma`arrat (turkish) Masyaf (fatimid) and all syrian citys sparing damascus and dara in a few turns.

then i captured marajoun (turkish) right in front of the crusaders eys :)
and went for dara and later damascus wich lasted the longest of the syrian citys.

meanwhile the turkish were reduced to tyrus and amman,madaba (east death sea) tafilah had fallen to jerusalem,
and while tripolis captured tyrus i took amman and finaly madaba.

the turkish gone, syria destoyed and the fatimid assassines out of the way, i prepared for the first goal: edessa.

storing troups along the edessan border and defending units along all crusader broders i was getting ready when the byzantines declared war on me :rolleyes:

i bribed antioch to join me against the byzantines and soon all crusaders were at war with them :D
i had to fight off ONE byzantine unit, the rest was done mostly by antioch and later the seldjuks that joined against byzanz.

and since edessas toops were send west as well a few turns later i declared war. waiting for 5 or 6 turns defending my territory from invading edessan toops i finally went for their citys.
intention was to capture some citys and declare peace before the other crusaders launched a mass invasion on me.

since neither antioch, tripolis and jerusalem were launching major attacks on me and edessa was falling quicly to my fast moving ansar warriors,
i whiped edessa from the map in about 4 turns.

then defending the few crusader units coming to my borders i accepted peace about 3 turns later.

this was about 1160 AD, and i now controled 19 % of the land area, streching my sulatanate from the far north down to the shores of the dead sea.

again i stored units, now along the jerusalem border, Jerusalem itself and the dome of the rock were the grand price now.

another byzantine war, wich i handled again with a crusader coalition including this time armenia and the rums as well,
and later on a small war against armenia and later the seldjuks delayed the real war as well.

but jerusalem was bribed by armenia in the end to declare war on me and while i made peace with armenia, i did again like with the edessans, killing all jerusalem units that came into my borders and waiting for the right moment to attack.

when i finally launched the invasion i had about 5 ghazi 2 ansar, 2 saracens and spearmen for beersheba tiberias and nablus, and about 15 ghazi and about 10 ansars more for jerusalem itself.

as i crossed the border tripolis and antioch declared war on me but 4 truns later and with an aproximate loss of 10 ghazi 5 ansar and some saracens i captured jerusalem.

its 1202 AD now:

pic_5.jpg

the mid sinai city on the map is El Ashira wich i placed under fatimid control to close the territory gap.

now the crusaders are reduced to the coast strip and i`m thinking about conquering the fatimids, wich would have been historical correct in the first place.

i have now 23% land and 44% population, so on the other hand i could research hospitals and just win as well :)

but i guess i`ll be going for egypt, and if there is time, really defeat the last crusader citys in the end.

as conclusion

i think the zangids are a bit over powered, haven`t seen them as AI player yet, but as human player it`s a fairly easy game so far.
or maybe less movment for the ansar warrior, and later more movement for the saracen knight? so the danger would increase.

maybe syria should be a bit stronger, since the turkish are just place fillers as was said before.

the only other anoying thing is the razing of cyties....
jerusalem devasted the south, wich is now really anoying if i want to take egypt i won´t get a connected territory anymore :cry:

interesting report there, CivChris.
In my game as Jerusalem, I have not have had any encounter with the Zangids. I destroyed the Turks early on and have reduced Syria to Damascus. The only Muslim opposition worth mentioning are the Fatimids...

I have yet to see a strong AI Zangid showing...

The Armenians withstood the onslaught of the Christian Alliance and Fatimids. After about 30-40 turns of non-stop warfare, this huge force has managed to capture 3 of their cities. THREE CITIES!!!!! Of course I did all the capturing, the other civs did a great job making veterans out of the Armenian defenders, though we did manage to bottle them up in all their cities and pillage all their terrain improvements.

But I got my supply of free Iron, so I'm happy :smug:

Now the Antiochan's can't extort inhuman amounts of cash and technology for it.

came upon a problem, i won the zangid game and got a

pediaicons Angry_Race_Sicilians missing breakdown.

fixed it by creating that line in the pediatext though.

Great Scenario, I've had a lot of fun with it - that's how Civ games should look like :goodjob:

I've won a great victory for the Christendom! :D Infidel Mohammedans in Egypt and Holy Land were utterly destroyed. I enjoyed crossing Sinai desert and delivering a decisive blow against the Fatimids. Cairo was a tough nut to crack though, many good knights sacrificed their lives.

What I found a bit annoying - shouldn't Armenia and Byzantines be your friends? My so-called allies were often in war with Byzantines and Armenians, which dragged me into it too. I think this should be prevented somehow. Otherwise, it's the best scenario of its size I've played in a long time, again, thanks!

Playing as Antioch, I conquered all the Turkish lands to the south of my state. Then I seize the Fatimid city. Next went to war with the Kingdom of Armenia, two cities captured to date.

I am currently playing as Jerusalem. I eliminated the Turks and pushed all of Fatimid's back to Egypt. I am now at war with Armenia, and have taken 4 cities. I have 12% of world area and 27% pop, and a little over 8k VP. After eliminating Armenia, I plan to invade the Byzantine island to hopefully finish the game up- Byz's have been beaten up lately by Seljuks, so I do not expect much resistance.

Great scenario!

Beware though, the Byzantine strenth on Cyprus is usually not much afftected by their loss on the mainland. That said, they aren't very strong to begin with on Cyprus, since I wanted it to be capturable (is that a word?) for historic realism. ;)

It is alright- I still have both of armies alive and in Armenia, so a short hop would do it. On top of that, I am in the process of filling about 10 more boats up with units to ferry over.

I started playing again, and broke 20% land! Alas, I have only 43% of the pop. So it could still be a bit before I can kill enough cities to break 50...

I began playing this again as jerusalem on yoda difficulty and the AI used the settlers they start with to settle everywhere.

Constantinople is on cyprus:crazyeye:

That makes no sense. :confused:

My only guess is that you somehow installed the CS wrong.

Do you get any error message?

That makes no sense. :confused:

My only guess is that you somehow installed the CS wrong.

I installed the CS scenario in the C3C Scenarios folder like you said.

Do you get any error message?

No I don't. What happens is, I go to civ-content, I select Crusader States, I pick my Civ as usual and the scenario loads up. When the scenario finish loading, C3C then crashes to the desktop -- every time. I am able to play HYW though, but not CS. :(

Top Bottom